Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2018, 13:20   #1

Learning to Sail - Greece vs. Gibraltar vs. Britain

I am a solo traveller looking to learn how to sail. I've decided on taking a Competent Crew Practical, a Day Skipper Theory course, and a Day Skipper practical. I am looking to take this courses in late August and early September.

Right now, I am looking at a variety of locations including the Ionian Sea based out of Greece, Gibraltar, or somewhere in Great Britain. Are there particular recommendations for which might be the best learning opportunity?

I think Greece would be really enjoyable but am a little worried about a lack of tidal experience.

From what I've seen, prices for this grouping of courses run anywhere from £1,500 to £2,100. Are these the sort of prices I should expect?

Thoughts? Suggestions or Recommendations?

Thanks so much!
NCSailStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 06:53   #2

Boat: Trident 24
Re: Learning to Sail - Greece vs. Gibraltar vs. Britain

I can not comment on Greece, I did a number of courses in the UK and Gibraltar. Some schools had been excellent others not so good and one was very poor.

I did my Coastal Skipper in Gibraltar and found the location was interesting and despite sailing in stormy conditions I did not find it as challenging as the UK. I did enjoy myself a lot.

But, I did find that I learnt so much more doing courses in the UK if you can try and do courses in as many different locations as possible rather than the same location as it will prepare you more when you are sailing/crewing on your own.

https://snappdragon23.blogspot.co.uk
ianmkent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:04   #3

Hi,
Having sailed in greece quite a bit, I can only recommend it if you are looking for holidays (but maybe not that much in August). However, the conditions you will find there are not really challenging, particularly in the Ionian, where winds are failry light most of the time (and even more so in summer). Having experience in planning for tides is, in my view, important.

Hope you enjoy it.
Cheers
Old 11-08-2018, 12:10   #4

I’d recommend the UK
Be sure to get the “Tidal”
endorsement. Great knowledge
to have and be able to use.
Also get your ICC
Shearwater Sailing was great
when i did my courses
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 13:33   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

If it were me, I'd take them in the UK. The conditions are challenging, and you'll learn more and possibly better.

Ann
Old 11-08-2018, 13:42   #6

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

I can highly recommend boss sailing school in Hamble. They do a two week day skipper from scratch course, and everything else too.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2020, 12:22   #7

I am wondering about the same question.

Where did you end up completing the course?
How was your experience?
949072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2020, 12:29   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSailStudent View Post
I am a solo traveller looking to learn how to sail. I've decided on taking a Competent Crew Practical, a Day Skipper Theory course, and a Day Skipper practical. I am looking to take this courses in late August and early September.

Right now, I am looking at a variety of locations including the Ionian Sea based out of Greece, Gibraltar, or somewhere in Great Britain. Are there particular recommendations for which might be the best learning opportunity?

I think Greece would be really enjoyable but am a little worried about a lack of tidal experience.

From what I've seen, prices for this grouping of courses run anywhere from £1,500 to £2,100. Are these the sort of prices I should expect?

Thanks so much!
The Ionian is good fun..the weather is better. The geographic is great for small craft .........A week equals 7 days

In the UK it’s not so nice..weather comes in and a week might be only 4 or 5 days

Don’t know the quality of instruction

Instinct tell me that the British are superior , the conditions are certainly more challenging
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2020, 12:43   #9

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

If you're looking for a week's holiday and to learn a bit about sailing whilst doing so, then in order Ionian-Gib-UK.
If you seriously want to learn to sail then UK-Gib-Ionian.

Yuo can learn to sail in inclement weather & too much wind; whilst I don't like it as a sailing area, the Solent has a bit of everything when you're learning and it's location means you can keep sailing/learning on even very nasty days, whilst on really nasty days in Gib, you'll not be leaving harbour.

If you learn to sail in the UK, you'll be good for most anything that Gib or the Ionian can throw at you, but the reverse is not true.
Old 29-01-2020, 14:17   #10

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Nobody mentions language. If your mother tongue is english I would select the UK or Gibralter. Instructors in Greece speak English, but it is NOT their mother tongue. Your choice.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2020, 14:37   #11

Boat: Beneteau first 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSailStudent View Post

Thanks so much!
The course in Greece cost 400 euro , I don't know where the 2000 pounds come.from in Greece if you do the P.O.I.A.T.H (ΠΟ.Ι.Α.Θ) is recognised internationally

Tags
Gibraltar, Greece, learning, sail