Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2016, 12:17   #1
Registered User
 
Thomea's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Camden Maine
Posts: 58
Images: 3
Interesting read from one of our fellow female sailors.....

Why we won't be purchasing Captain In A Box. — Sail Me Om
__________________

Thomea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 14:16   #2
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 10,377
Re: Interesting read from one of our fellow female sailors.....

The world is as it is, and behaviors change slowly. Keep up the good fight, but don't expect too much.

I once saw a dinghy called, "Row vs. Wade". I bet half the people on CF wouldn't even understand the joke.

Cultural changes take a long time.



Ann
__________________

__________________
with Jim, aboard US s/v Insatiable II, in Oz, very long term cruisers

"Today's misfortune is tomorrow's adventure."
JPA Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 14:25   #3
Moderator
 
Adelie's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: La Ciudad de la Misin Didacus de Alcal en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva Espaa
Boat: Cal 20
Posts: 4,469
Re: Interesting read from one of our fellow female sailors.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
The world is as it is, and behaviors change slowly. Keep up the good fight, but don't expect too much.

I once saw a dinghy called, "Row vs. Wade". I bet half the people on CF wouldn't even understand the joke.

Cultural changes take a long time.



Ann

1+

I caught the joke.
I doubt 1/4 of the would get it. Half the folks here aren't "American" and only a half of those that are would get it.


A house is but a boat so poorly built and so firmly run aground you would never try to refloat it.
__________________
A house is but a boat so poorly built and so firmly run aground no one would think to try and refloat it.
SailboatData
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 18:54   #4
Senior Cruiser
 
meatservo's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: DFW
Boat: wanting a cat
Posts: 493
Re: Interesting read from one of our fellow female sailors.....

If what she said was true, he obviously showed no class. She voted with her wallet. If he wants to market his product that way, that's his choice/right and will suffer the consequences or enjoy his success. The market will decide.








meatservo
__________________
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 19:09   #5
Registered User
 
Smokeys Kitchen's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On the boat - Petersburg, Alaska for the winter
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40
Posts: 197
Re: Interesting read from one of our fellow female sailors.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
The world is as it is, and behaviors change slowly. Keep up the good fight, but don't expect too much.

I once saw a dinghy called, "Row vs. Wade". I bet half the people on CF wouldn't even understand the joke.

Cultural changes take a long time.



Ann
That joke also went around work. As Montana fishermen; one in a float tube and one in waders
__________________
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 19:12   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 358
Re: Interesting read from one of our fellow female sailors.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatservo View Post
If what she said was true, he obviously showed no class. She voted with her wallet. If he wants to market his product that way, that's his choice/right and will suffer the consequences or enjoy his success. The market will decide.








meatservo
I agree with this, and I've never understood people who want to force some form of equality on someone's business. If he's really a sexist, racist *******, do you want to give him your business? I wouldn't. But if he's forced to include women and people of color against his wishes, how will you know he's a racist bigot until it's too late?
__________________
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 19:32   #7
Registered User
 
Rock-Head's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Location: St. Augustine, FL
Boat: 1978 Lancer 30 MkIV
Posts: 150
Re: Interesting read from one of our fellow female sailors.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
I agree with this, and I've never understood people who want to force some form of equality on someone's business. If he's really a sexist, racist *******, do you want to give him your business? I wouldn't. But if he's forced to include women and people of color against his wishes, how will you know he's a racist bigot until it's too late?
Maybe he's simply focusing on a target demographic. When I think about the number of female recreational boaters (as previously described) I've met, I can count em on one hand and still have a finger left over. Take that same comparison and apply it to "people of color", yeah I could count em...

Zero.

That is not a racist comment. Just an observation.



Sent from my SM-N900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
Rock-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 19:40   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 138
Re: Interesting read from one of our fellow female sailors.....

Cutting off your nose to spite your face.
Boy, you sure showed him, deciding not to purchase the course so YOU could advance yourself.
__________________
landlockedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 19:58   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 314
Re: Interesting read from one of our fellow female sailors.....

The victim mindset dilutes the human potential. By not accepting personal responsibility for our circumstances, we greatly reduce our power to change them.
Steve Maraboli, Unapologetically You: Reflections on Life and the Human Experience
__________________
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 19:59   #10
Registered User
 
Sea Dreaming's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Whoo! Finally made it back to Mexico!
Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Posts: 1,450
Re: Interesting read from one of our fellow female sailors.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
The world is as it is, and behaviors change slowly. Keep up the good fight, but don't expect too much.

I once saw a dinghy called, "Row vs. Wade". I bet half the people on CF wouldn't even understand the joke.

Cultural changes take a long time.



Ann
I got it. I'm showing my age. The bigots and mysogenist are passing away. When I think about the injustices I've experienced in my life and how the world has changed, I'm actually heartened. Change is slow, but certain.
__________________
If toast always lands butter side down, and cats always land on their feet, what would happen if you strapped toast to a cat's back and dropped it? - Steven Wright
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 20:38   #11
Registered User
 
daletournier's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Seychelles
Boat: Catalina 470
Posts: 1,794
Re: Interesting read from one of our fellow female sailors.....

But women arent half the boating market! In business you have x amount of dollars and time therefore you direct it as carefully as possible.
Secondly you also speak in stereo types " old white guys" what are you implying?
I wasnt there so i really cant comment if what you experienced was sexist or not but as a middle age ,white guy that is right leaning in his views i often see double standards that seem to be very acceptable. It seems to be ok to throw rocks one way but not the other.


Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
daletournier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 20:47   #12
Registered User

Join Date: May 2014
Location: USA
Boat: 41' yawl
Posts: 601
Re: Interesting read from one of our fellow female sailors.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
but as a middle age ,white guy that is right leaning in his views i often see double standards that seem to be very acceptable. It seems to be ok to throw rocks one way but not the other

You poor thing. That must be very difficult for you.
__________________
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 20:51   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 314
Re: Interesting read from one of our fellow female sailors.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
But women arent half the boating market! In business you have x amount of dollars and time therefore you direct it as carefully as possible.
Secondly you also speak in stereo types " old white guys" what are you implying?
I wasnt there so i really cant comment if what you experienced was sexist or not but as a middle age ,white guy that is right leaning in his views i often see double standards that seem to be very acceptable. It seems to be ok to throw rocks one way but not the other.


Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Amen!~
And silence any opposition.
__________________
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 20:52   #14
Registered User
 
daletournier's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Seychelles
Boat: Catalina 470
Posts: 1,794
Re: Interesting read from one of our fellow female sailors.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
You poor thing. That must be very difficult for you.
Thats exactly my point!!!!

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
daletournier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 21:03   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 715
Re: Interesting read from one of our fellow female sailors.....

I think those reacting by saying that's the market are missing the point. The world is a huge and diverse place- advertising to white Viagra cruiser crowd doesn't expand the market and hurts human potential. More different people sailing is a good thing.

-old Viagra white person
__________________

__________________
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sail

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stoked To Be Here And Meet Other Like Minded Sailors, Especially Female Sailors. chicasurfer Meets & Greets 15 02-12-2016 16:47
Hallo fellow sailors! Landocked Meets & Greets 3 20-04-2009 04:33
Hello Fellow Sailors CAPT2B Meets & Greets 0 01-02-2008 09:36
Hello fellow sailors mbowman Meets & Greets 5 20-12-2007 06:40
Hi fellow sailors ihhartley Meets & Greets 5 27-11-2006 15:14



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:53.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.