Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2011, 10:01   #1

Insurance

Is it required to have a certification in order to get insurance ? I made an offer on a boat today and as of yet I do not know how to sail. The sale is pending the survey. I have not closed. The price was compelling. Is it neccessary to be certified to sail the boat away. It has been awhile, but I have sailed some 50 years ago.If someone would take the time to walk me through what I should expect to get started. Thanks.
oldman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 10:11   #2
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman66 View Post
Is it required to have a certification in order to get insurance ? I made an offer on a boat today and as of yet I do not know how to sail. The sale is pending the survey. I have not closed. The price was compelling. Is it neccessary to be certified to sail the boat away. It has been awhile, but I have sailed some 50 years ago.If someone would take the time to walk me through what I should expect to get started. Thanks.

I had no trouble getting insurance from BoatUS contingent on the sale going through, so I was covered from the moment I took possession of the boat.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 10:31   #3

Thanks. This is my first Forum to be on.I fell like I can still sail. Is there any rules/laws from me just taken possession and sailing away ?
Old 18-10-2011, 10:38   #4

Boat: CS36 Traditional

Welcome aboard CF.

The rules depend on where you live. For example, in Canada, we require a boating licence for any motorized vessels.

To answer your original question, you should be able to get insurance without accreditation but if you take a course you may be eligible for discounts.

What type of boat did you buy?
Old 18-10-2011, 10:47   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Insurers typically will adjust your rate based on your proven/documented experience and training. This will typically include sailing experience on similar craft, past vessel ownership, and yes, any certifications and memberships such as completing ASA courses, USPS (Power Squadron) courses, USCGAux membership...

Anything that can demonstrate to them that you are experienced and responsible.

It sounds like you have no choice, if you want that boat, you buy it and pay the rate you will be offered. Then you take some training and ask for a reduction on your policy renewal.

In the meantime it might be safer to hire some recently experienced help to take delivery of the boat, especially until you've had a chance to inspect and test every inch of it.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 11:33   #6
CLOD

Boat: none

The insurance comany decides what they will require of you in order to insure your boat! get quotes from a couple of places. if they require on board training etc be sure that you recheck you policy after you complete to be sure any temporay blinders get removed.

As an example when I got my first boat the insurance company required me to get 30 hours on the water training with a capitan (I had a bareboat cert and year of experience). It wasn't till 2 years later when I got my second boat that I found out I had a blinder for hired crew to cover the capitan training that should have been removed afterwards but for which I had still been paying.
Old 18-10-2011, 15:09   #7

41' Yorktown with new schaeffer boom. Owned by a military officer.Great condition. I need some help getting it to Kehma, Texas. Is there anyone wanting to make this fun trip. Iwould be the crew. I am straight?
Old 18-10-2011, 15:31   #8

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

I've insured my boats with BoatUS for years and never had a problem--even living in Florida.
Old 18-10-2011, 16:22   #9
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

In short, most places in the U.S. do not require any training or certification. That's particularly true for us old farts. Young farts, may require a boating safety class depending upon the state. In other words, if I had the money, I could buy a 60 foot yacht and power off into the sunset.

Currently I am insured with Progressive and have to pay extra because I am single. They did not care about 16 years of boat ownership without a claim or my Coast Guard captain's license. They apparently do not have a lot of experience with boats. It took a lot of finagling with them to allow me more than 100 miles offshore because I only have one engine. Finally convinced them that sailboats don't have or need more than one engine.

As for delivery, you might make yourself known at the new marina where you will be staying. Assuming you will be going to a marina and then see if one of your neighbors would be willing to help. Also, you don't mention just where the boat is moving from. Is it a short hop or what? Finally, I've lived in Amarillo and Corpus Christi but where the devil is Kehma?

Edit: I just re-read your original post and if you don't know how to sail, it's a bit ambitious to start with a 41 footer. You might want to contact a local sailing school if you can't find a sailor at your new home and arrange a combo delivery/training session.

Have fun, and welcome to our world,

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 16:34   #10
Marine Service Provider

oldman66....

To answer your question directly:

I am not a lawyer, but my understanding is:

In the US, there seems to be no legal requirement to have any insurance at all on a boat.
If a bank holds a mortgage on the boat, they may require hull insurance to protect their asset. Seems reasonable...
If you own it outright, just sail away as you like, and deal with insurance later, with the luxury of time and no pressure.

Good Luck... Its never too late.

Dave
bdbcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 16:41   #11

Boat: Traditional 30

A survey at purchase is worth the money anyway. Regardless of the insurance co. ( unless the boat is free or almost free). If the rigging is defunked, the engine needs and overhaul and the hull is full of blisters the surveyor will uncover potentially thousands of dollars worth of repairs. This either gives you a new negotiating point or an opportunity to get out of the purchase.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 17:36   #12

I must have left out some key points. The boat is in Annapolis,Md. The boat is paid for. Kehma is a very large marina,cove,moorage facility north of Houston.
Old 18-10-2011, 17:39   #13

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Carefully consider that you should obtain full insurance coverage regardless of the fact it may not be legally required. Insurance is only expensive when you need it but don't have any. Liability, particularly with a novice sailor, can be huge in the event of an accident, spill or consequential damage.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 17:41   #14

I liked Cabo Sailor's input. Maybe because we are just old guys. He might like that the boat was owned by a Navial Officer. You know how well they keep things.Broker says he was one owner, and the boat is in great condition, with extras.
Old 18-10-2011, 17:42   #15

I agree. Insurance is a must. More so for me than a seasoned salt.

Tags
insurance