Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2014, 13:48   #1

Boat: Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to Wendi
Instructor for hire, BVI or USVI

I am looking to hire a sailing instructor for some group classes aboard my boat. I have a few friends who want to learn to sail. I have a Lagoon 380 in Tortola and I want to set up a learn to sail week, I just need a good instructor. These would be beginners and they would want a basic competency course to get them started in ocean sailing.

I will have 4 students at a time, plus myself. I think the first class would be around the end of October or first of November.

Are you an instructor, or do you know one who is happy and easy going, smart and can teach sailing basics?
Old 30-07-2014, 01:16   #2
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Instructor for hire, BVI or USVI

Good idea Wendi. Are they wanting to be certified or just trained? If just trained and recognised by wendi's school of sailing I think you could manage that yourself?
But if they are after some form of competency certificate then you will need a recognised instructor I guess.
Maybe study a course itinerary yourself or do one and see if you feel confident to teach it.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2014, 06:29   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot

I could do that for you. I've just delivered L38 hull #730 from France to New York and I live in BVI [for the last 20 years!] Though not an Instructor per se, I have taught ASA and RYA syllabuses in bvi waters and spent many years captaining charter boats for all the yacht companies in BVI.

Currently delivering an L440 from Cancun to Acpulco via Panama Canal but will be home by the end of August! Tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2014, 09:38   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Good idea Wendi. Are they wanting to be certified or just trained? If just trained and recognised by wendi's school of sailing I think you could manage that yourself?
But if they are after some form of competency certificate then you will need a recognised instructor I guess.
Maybe study a course itinerary yourself or do one and see if you feel confident to teach it.
Hi Rob and Jen,
These are people who want to start sailing, learn the basics and get confident. The conversation usually starts with them wondering how they can become crew on a sailing trip. I could do a course, but I am not sure that I want to. I do like the idea of seeing how an instructor does a course for a week.
I have never taken a sailing class. Owned and sailed many boats, but never took a course. Let's keep that our little secret, k?
I sure learned a lot on the way up the Caribbean islands last spring. I had to make a rule with my crew that we limit ourselves to one incident per day.
Hey, since I have your attention... that genaker furler does not hold when furling. It did at first, but now it just unfurls every time I try to furl it. Did you ever have that problem? Know of an easy fix?
Old 30-07-2014, 09:40   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvimatelot View Post
I could do that for you. I've just delivered L38 hull #730 from France to New York and I live in BVI [for the last 20 years!] Though not an Instructor per se, I have taught ASA and RYA syllabuses in bvi waters and spent many years captaining charter boats for all the yacht companies in BVI.

Currently delivering an L440 from Cancun to Acpulco via Panama Canal but will be home by the end of August! Tony
Hi Tony,
Sounds good, let's get to know each other and see if this will work. I will send you a pm and we can figure out how we can schedule it. I think the most important thing is style and temperament so people learn from an instructor who makes them feel the most comfortable.
Old 30-07-2014, 09:46   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:

now there is a match made in heaven!
he even lives locally,
grab tony if you can he is a mine of useful information as well.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2014, 09:51   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
now there is a match made in heaven!
he even lives locally,
grab tony if you can he is a mine of useful information as well.
Thanks for that. I will get in touch with him and see what we can do.
Old 30-07-2014, 19:38   #8

Aw, shucks, Atholl, you've made me blush!!! Wendi - I'll answer you pm from Panama in about a week's time: I'm up to my eyeballs prepping a rather "difficult" boat! Tony
Old 31-07-2014, 09:14   #9
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Nice to meet you in les sables tony, glad you made it safe n sound.
Wendi, the furler we usually ran it through the bow seat pulpit and clipped it back to the trampoline. This gives it a better pull direction so it doesn't come off. Also make sure the lines are exiting the drum from inside the stainless steel guide so it hugs the drum. It should work like that. We always removed the sail if not in use as the cut of a gennaker means it won't furl at the top as well as a genoa and can unwrap in strong wind. Hopefully that makes sense, send me a picture if you like and I'll see if it looks right.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 10:25   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Aw, shucks, Atholl, you've made me blush!!! Wendi - I'll answer you pm from Panama in about a week's time: I'm up to my eyeballs prepping a rather "difficult" boat! Tony
now don't act coy tony,just a vote of confidence for wendi to take note of
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 22:15   #11

Boat: Many

The most important decision you make is who you choose for an instructor.

I'm available for instruction this winter. I have taught at six different sailing schools including ASA, US Sailing, US Navy, and RYA programs, and was instructor certified for most of these, certifications now lapsed because I don't feel it is reasonable to have to pay an annual fee to stay certified. If you want certifications I can arrange this as I am still associated with one sailing program. Certification's are less important than the knowledge you gain.

If you talked to a few of my references I'm confident you would want to hire me.

I've taught more than 800 people how to sail. I've trained many other instructors as well and developed techniques that others now copy.

Additionally, I intimately acquainted with the BVI, USVI, and SVI.

My fee would include air fare. You would not be disappointed. Send a PM if interested and I'll shoot you some references.

Much if the success of the instruction would be based on the platform used. I recommend sailing over to the Bitter End Yacht Club on Virgin Gorda and renting an IC-24 for a few half days as part of the program. I have a spinnaker I can bring if you are interested in that. Whatever level of ability you have, I can accurately assess your skills and advance you farther along.

www.ConnecticutCaptain.Com

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Night_Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 23:02   #12

Boat: Lagoon 410 S2 2006

Quote:

Hey Tony,

We have purchased a boat ('06 Lagoon 410s2) in Tortola. Going to move aboard mid September. We will be very interested in some training. Can you PM me your rates and schedule? Really glad to hear you're local to BVI.

Great idea for the classes. I'd say we'd like to sign up but we will be seeking knowledge right off the bat which for us is mid September. My wife and I believe you can never learn too much so we will watch with interest in Oct/Nov when the classes start.
onefastdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 09:54   #13

Onefastdaddy - Hi there - I'll be sending you a pm shortly Cheers, Tony
Old 21-12-2014, 14:57   #14

Boat: on my wish list

Hi Wendi ~ just following this thread and wondered how the "Learn to Sail" week aboard your Lagoon380 with an Instructor & your friends went?
This sounded like a wonderful idea. I have some experience sailing, but never on a cat. I have been seriously contemplating the idea of retiring in the next 10 years in the BVI on a cat. This gives me a few years to gain experience and sail as much as possible till then. If you ever decide to do another class I would love to be considered, room available. I split my time between Winter Park, CO and SF Bay area (where I join in on day sails). I would love to gain experience before going for certification classes. Love hearing all the positive feedback on this forum about the Lagoons!
Tangogirl is offline   Reply With Quote