Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2016, 02:43   #1
cruiser

ICC License Help for Montenegro or Near Naples

In one weeks time, we set sail for Montenegro from Italy. I've been planning on obtaining the license while in Montenegro following check-in procedures, and read and heard that this is possible. But now I can't seem to locate the information on how to do it.

I presently do not have any boating license as it's not required in the USA, never been asked for it while over here in the EU. I read last season that the license was easy to obtain in Montenegro via a written test in English and paying approximately 200 euros.

Can anyone direct me to a sailing school in Montenegro or to the proper authorities I can contact for appropriate information. I also have a week here near Naples, Italy if I can find a school nearby.

We'd like to be able to dock in Kotor for a few days and obtain the license. There must be a way. I just don't want to be turned away prior to arrival. There were no schools within a three state radius of our home in Massachusetts to obtain the license.

Does anyone know of a school near Naples Italy? I'm here now.

Thanks in advance.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 04:51   #2

Re: ICC License Help for Montenegro or Near Naples

well, got my license since mid eighties and sailed around Europe, but never was asked to show it.
You are owner and skipper on your boat ? Reckon you can handle it properly - so why should ask you someone for your ICC ??
Usually for chartering a license would ask for, because of experience.

But look for a training here: sailing center Naples
http://www.clubnauticodellavela.it/corsi.asp?t=adulti

Just watched a Montenegro site, perhaps it' s better to get an ICC
http://www.gov.me/files/1248963378.pdf
Tellus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 04:57   #3
cruiser

I'm presently awaiting a call back from an RYA certified training center here in Naples, Italy which offers the ICC compentency assessment test. I assume by successfully navigating to and then docking at the facility solo might be like passing most of the test.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:26   #4

schools in Croatia can do it faster..
Sailing schools, yachting courses, boat licences
Tellus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 05:58   #5
cruiser

Tellus,

Thank you very much for your assistance. I'm actively pursuing the Napoli possibility. I'd prefer to have the license in hand prior to arrival.

Ken
Old 01-07-2016, 07:13   #6
cruiser

I'm sailing up to Rome on Sunday to take the test on Monday.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:14   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Tellus,

Thank you very much for your assistance. I'm actively pursuing the Napoli possibility. I'd prefer to have the license in hand prior to arrival.

Ken
How about downloading one?
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:24   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
How about downloading one?
It's a practical exam where I need to demonstrate competency on my boat or a sailing school boat. Presently, my plans have shifted to renting a car and heading up to Porto di Roma on Wednesday or Thursday to take the exam prior to setting off for Montenegro.

Believe it or not, I looked into this many times in the US over the past three years. The cheapest option I could find was a three day course, two states away costing $1900 plus three days lodging. Here, its less than $600 and I heard Montenegro was $200, but I'd prefer to have it completed prior to just showing up without the certificate.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:30   #9

Boat: Outbound 44

The linked above pdf government yachting guide says:
Quote:
in accordance with the regulations of the state of the yacht's flag
So do they still require an additional local license?
Old 01-07-2016, 09:45   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
The linked above pdf government yachting guide says:
So do they still require an additional local license?
Yes, Montenegro will turn away anyone without a valid ICC. But they will usually accept a US Coastguard license. But I don't have one.

Is there a way to obtain some sort of US license via the internet on short notice? If you know of a way, please let me know.

I looked up boating licenses for Massachusttes, but found it to be one of the only states not offering one.

The ICC looks quite easy for someone experienced.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:51   #11

Boat: Lexcen 40
Send a message via Skype™ to briendaniel

Hi Kenomac, go to this link
Captain’s Notes – Montenegro | | C2C YachtingC2C Yachting
In Montenegro the iCC is for charter skippers on charter vessels (for example those coming from Croatia). It is not relevant for you. Provided you can show ownership of your vessel and your insurance (and comply with the rest of the list on the link) you will be fine.
So you know that my advice is sound, I lived in Montenegro setting up a yachting business and wrote the Montenegrin Cruising Guide for the Montenegrin Travel Authority (now another name). I am an RYA Yachtmaster Instructor, (from Australia).
Do you have a plan? IE a port of entry in mind and or a list of sights / places you want to visit? My suggestion is to enter at the Bay of Kotor where there are a number of places you can process your entry.
briendaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 13:24   #12
Marine Service Provider

Hawaii has a license required for 10hp and up. Free, online at BoatUS. Don't know who else accepts it. $1,900 for ICC is outrages. Looks like they have figured out yet another way to milk the boating public.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 13:25   #13

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Everything I'm seeing online Ken will give you the course work online (in some cases you can challenge that and pass in one sitting!) but they all then mail the license to you; even if you pass. I checked the USCG 6 Pack sites, the US Power Squadron site, as well as the State of Washington, recreational boater site (which has a certificate program for all and you do not need to be a resident). Sorry, not much help.

Ron
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 00:08   #14
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeys Kitchen View Post
Everything I'm seeing online Ken will give you the course work online (in some cases you can challenge that and pass in one sitting!) but they all then mail the license to you; even if you pass. I checked the USCG 6 Pack sites, the US Power Squadron site, as well as the State of Washington, recreational boater site (which has a certificate program for all and you do not need to be a resident). Sorry, not much help.

Ron
That's basically what I plan to do, head up to Rome and just do the practical assessment test. The ICC is the license I need to have, It's just a shame it's not offered in the US for a reasonable price.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:19   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
That's basically what I plan to do, head up to Rome and just do the practical assessment test. The ICC is the license I need to have, It's just a shame it's not offered in the US for a reasonable price.
It is, it's still just uncommon. I paid $300 for the ICC assessment in Gig Harbor on June 18th. The RYA instructor who conducted the assessment has a handful of other dates in locations across the U.S. but they aren't convenient for everyone (Annapolis the first weekend of October won't help you much). Since the U.S. is not a signatory to U.N. Resolution 40, there is no governing body in the United States who can actually confer the thing, and so you have no choice but to gain it through the RYA or IYT, either by completion of a practical course (RYA Day Skipper etc.) or through the practical assessment.

btw, I haven't sailed for long and did fine on the sailing and boat handling/seamanship portion. Having recently finished RYA Day Skipper Theory, I didn't have any problem with the navigation/buoyage/pilotage portion either. As long as you can use a tidal atlas, calculate tidal streams and tidal heights based on springs/midrange/neaps, etc. it's straightforward.

Be sure you have all the appropriate stuff on hand for the assessment like a passport photo (back of the photo will be signed by the assessor) so you can snail mail the works to RYA headquarters in Southampton, U.K. If you need it turned around quickly there is a "Fast Track" option for an additional thirty pounds but I have no idea how quick it is. I'm sure you already have but if not, go over the ICC assessment application form which includes all the theory and practical components that will be covered in the assessment.
malandterv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icc, license