Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2016, 01:22   #31

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Re: ICC License Help for Montenegro or Near Naples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Yes, Montenegro will turn away anyone without a valid ICC. But they will usually accept a US Coastguard license. But I don't have one.

Is there a way to obtain some sort of US license via the internet on short notice? If you know of a way, please let me know.

I looked up boating licenses for Massachusttes, but found it to be one of the only states not offering one.

The ICC looks quite easy for someone experienced.

Kenomac -- we went into Montenegro a couple of years ago and I do not have a license. When told them I did not have one the clerk told me I would have to leave with a few hours and get out of their country - I produced my ASA booklet with the stamps in it and she heemed and hauled and finally accepted it and let us in -
But we had to get 1m euro insurance so we use IMIS and they had it for me the next day - I took that in and the port captain was in and not happy with my credentials and as we talk he asked how I got the boat to the Med and I said sailed it of course - he asked how many crew and I said 2 - he said you and your wife sailed it across? I said yes - he said how many days and I said 21 and we only used 80l of fuel -- all of a sudden it was like I was his best bud and we started talking - turns out he was a former big ship officer and sailed all over the USA and we had a great time talking and things went smoothly

good luck on the test
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 14:38   #32
cruiser

I passed, so now I can stop living in the yachting shadows.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 15:00   #33

Quote:
CONGRATULATIONS
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 20:03   #34

Quote:
Excellent!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 21:58   #35

Congrats! Figured you wouldn't have any problem with it.

Did you do the assessment solo? Any surprises or areas of the assessment itself you felt were lacking? Did you deem it to be a reasonable measure of basically competent seamanship? Curious on the perspective of someone with lots of experience.
malandterv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 22:32   #36
cruiser

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Jack,

I did go through your entire presentation and did use a paper chart and compass to get from Ponza up to Rome in oder to refresh my memory. Thank you much.

As far as an aging brain issue, it was much more difficult to memorize the lights, strobe sequences and marker bouys than it was even ten years ago.... this surprised me. Turns out that bringing the boat up here solo, a 110 two day somewhat easy adventure was most of the test skills, so when the test instructor toured the boat and saw that I had jacklines in place, life vest with harness that had been obviously used etc, etc and that her friends at the marina had listened to me contact them on the radio, watched me come in and wait in tight quarters while they located an empty mooring, and then watch me Med moor (stern in) the boat myself without them having to use their dinghy tug or assist.... The test was mostly complete. If I'd chosen instead to take the train up and had tested on a charter boat, the skill portion would have been more intensive. It was much better taking the test on my own boat, where I have confidence on how it will respond.

I was actually very worried and nervous about not passing since I've never had any formal training. The one single big wake up call I had from preparing for the test, was the need to make a permanent placard at the helm for directions on how to make a Mayday or Pan Pan call on the VHF. I Spoke with the instructor about this when we discussed man overboard issues. I told her the story of my man and dog overboard and how I'd used the Lifesling to get them back in just a few minutes and how contrary to what the book teaches, there really isn't any time to waste calling for help. It needs to get done ASAP especially if they're not wearing life jackets and all that can be seen is their tiny heads from 200'meters as in my case, she agreed. But if I fall overboard, others will need the helm placard for directions.

All in all, it was a good and rewarding experience. I learned and now I have another stunningly beautiful friend who knows all the best anchorages and restaurants up and down the entire Italian, Sardinian and Sicilian coastlines.
Old 05-07-2016, 13:18   #37

Quote:
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Jack,

I did go through your entire presentation and did use a paper chart and compass to get from Ponza up to Rome in oder to refresh my memory. Thank you much.
My pleasure. Glad to be of assistance. Using your own boat was the best choice. Why use an unfamiliar boat that you will never sail again?

Have a great sailing season. I am envious.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 04:46   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
The ICC can be acquired at any International Yachting Training School.
You are absolutely right. As I finished really good Oleg Goncharenko's sailing school this May in Montenego we were informed that we get two licenses IYT and ICC.
The only thing somebody might need in the future it's ICC with CEVNI. This additional exam allow to move through internal waters of Europe (lakes and rivers) but it's simply tip :-)

P.S. congratulations to Kenomac :-)
SeverX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 07:34   #39
cruiser

Thanks much.

The very first question the customs official asked here in Montenegro: Can I please see your boating license? I showed him a copy of the ICC on my ipad.

Tags
icc, license