Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2016, 01:54   #16
cruiser

Re: ICC License Help for Montenegro or Near Naples

Quote:
Originally Posted by malandterv View Post
It is, it's still just uncommon. I paid $300 for the ICC assessment in Gig Harbor on June 18th. The RYA instructor who conducted the assessment has a handful of other dates in locations across the U.S. but they aren't convenient for everyone (Annapolis the first weekend of October won't help you much). Since the U.S. is not a signatory to U.N. Resolution 40, there is no governing body in the United States who can actually confer the thing, and so you have no choice but to gain it through the RYA or IYT, either by completion of a practical course (RYA Day Skipper etc.) or through the practical assessment.

btw, I haven't sailed for long and did fine on the sailing and boat handling/seamanship portion. Having recently finished RYA Day Skipper Theory, I didn't have any problem with the navigation/buoyage/pilotage portion either. As long as you can use a tidal atlas, calculate tidal streams and tidal heights based on springs/midrange/neaps, etc. it's straightforward.

Be sure you have all the appropriate stuff on hand for the assessment like a passport photo (back of the photo will be signed by the assessor) so you can snail mail the works to RYA headquarters in Southampton, U.K. If you need it turned around quickly there is a "Fast Track" option for an additional thirty pounds but I have no idea how quick it is. I'm sure you already have but if not, go over the ICC assessment application form which includes all the theory and practical components that will be covered in the assessment.
Thanks,

I downloaded the assessment handbook yesterday, looks straightforward. I'll be spending extra time on the tidal portion since we don't even use it here in the Med (only an 18 inch - 2 ft tide). Hopefully, the assessor will be somewhat impressed that I solo sailed to the location and docked the boat. Maybe a few extra credit points?

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:31   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Hopefully, the assessor will be somewhat impressed that I solo sailed to the location and docked the boat. Maybe a few extra credit points?

Ken
Instructor will probably deduct points for solo. It certainly conflicts with some rule somewhere.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:16   #18
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Instructor will probably deduct points for solo. It certainly conflicts with some rule somewhere.
Here's the note I jiust received from the instructor:

"Give me your vessel's name so that i can register your arrival.
I will not be able to arrive before 18:30. the test will not take long as far as for me, once in the marina, we can see how tired you are after 60 miles crossing during which (including your past experience) you will have certainly experienced all the steps of the test!

We will see..."K
Old 02-07-2016, 09:35   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Here's the note I jiust received from the instructor:

"Give me your vessel's name so that i can register your arrival.
I will not be able to arrive before 18:30. the test will not take long as far as for me, once in the marina, we can see how tired you are after 60 miles crossing during which (including your past experience) you will have certainly experienced all the steps of the test!

We will see..."K
Please let us know how it goes. I've been researching the ICC as well in anticipation of cruising Europe next year or so. Not sure if I would end up in Montenegro but I aspire to doing some cruising on the EU canals that, at least on paper, requires an ICC with the CEVNI endorsement. Any local knowledge on this issue?

One thing I found in my research, at least some of the UK based companies mentioned on their website doing a MOB drill as part of the on the water test. Might want to be prepared for that.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:08   #20
cruiser

I'm the guy who rescued the dog overboard and the knucklehead human who jumped in to save the dog, leaving me alone to rescue the two of them.

I'm all set.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:43   #21

Yeah, you will have to do MOB drills, pick up a mooring buoy under power, 360 turn in place, demonstrate points of sail, dock with proper use of spring lines, etc. Our assessor had us sail through a mooring field, sail up to a mooring ball, and I finished my day by sailing up to the pump-out dock. I actually learned a great deal that day even though it definitely wasn't meant to be instructive.

Word of caution - there isn't a lot of room left for error. One guy on the boat accidental gybed (really flukey winds) and was warned that if he did it again he wouldn't pass. Same guy, after being below decks doing the navigation/buoyage/pilotage portion was asked to explain the significance of the east cardinal marker...got it slightly wrong and was again warned that a second incorrect answer would result in failing the assessment. He passed and did great otherwise but it's not like taking an ASA multiple guess test.

As far as where to concentrate your preparation, forget the actual sailing part and learn to navigate to the RYA Day Skipper Theory level. In fact, just do the Day Skipper Theory online course. It isn't expensive, is very thorough and will prepare you for everything but the actual sailing.

To illustrate that point, I've been sailing since April. That's it. Took a basic sailing course with the wife in Portland, sailed a handful of times on the Columbia, took the RYA Day Skipper Theory course, then chartered a Jeanneau 44DS in the San Juans the first week of May. We hired a private instructor to ride along, tested out of ASA 101, and completed ASA 103/104 in the first four days, then he jumped off and we had the boat to ourselves the remaining four days. I also went out one day locally with an excellent instructor right before the assessment in which I did a bunch of docking and MOB drills. So that is my level of practical experience actually sailing boats, granted I grew up on power boats on inland lakes so boat handling isn't completely foreign to me. Anyway, needless to say, everyone who has ever undertaken the ICC assessment, and likely everyone on this forum, can sail circles around me.

Back to the ICC assessment. One of the other two guys on the boat had owned a 37 footer some years ago and had done a couple deliveries and some offshore sailing. The other guy was in the Coast Guard for 20 or 30 years and owns a 41ft boat, and needed an ICC in preparation for cruising the Med in a couple years. Each of us had to go below decks for the oral navigation portion of the assessment. I spent a lot less time down there than the other guys even though they both obviously have way more experience than me. Assessor asked a few questions and was satisfied I had actually completed the Day Skipper Theory course and understood what was going on. The other guys had the parallel rulers out and were having to do full passage plans etc. So the key to passing the assessment with flying colors is the navigation, day shapes, nav lights, right of way, buoyage, distress signals etc. Nobody who is serious enough to take the ICC assessment is going to have any problem with the actual sailing and boat handling stuff.
malandterv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:50   #22

Quote:
I'm presently awaiting a call back from an RYA certified training center here in Naples, Italy which offers the ICC compentency assessment test. I assume by successfully navigating to and then docking at the facility solo might be like passing most of the test.
There is a bit more to it than that.

http://www.sailing.ie/wp-content/upl...e-ICC-2015.pdf
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:54   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
There is a bit more to it than that.

http://www.sailing.ie/wp-content/upl...e-ICC-2015.pdf
Here is the RYA version, with the relevant info on page 3.

RYA ICC application form
malandterv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:54   #24

Quote:
That's basically what I plan to do, head up to Rome and just do the practical assessment test. The ICC is the license I need to have, It's just a shame it's not offered in the US for a reasonable price.
The ICC can be acquired at any International Yachting Training School.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:59   #25

Quote:
Yes, Montenegro will turn away anyone without a valid ICC. But they will usually accept a US Coastguard license. But I don't have one.

Is there a way to obtain some sort of US license via the internet on short notice? If you know of a way, please let me know.

I looked up boating licenses for Massachusttes, but found it to be one of the only states not offering one.

The ICC looks quite easy for someone experienced.
If you have ASA 101, 103, 104 certification you are eligible for International Proficiency Certificate (IPC), which recognized as the equivalent of an ICC.

https://asa.com/international-proficiency-certificate/

I do not think it will meet your timeline.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:30   #26
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by malandterv View Post
Yeah, you will have to do MOB drills, pick up a mooring buoy under power, 360 turn in place, demonstrate points of sail, dock with proper use of spring lines, etc. Our assessor had us sail through a mooring field, sail up to a mooring ball, and I finished my day by sailing up to the pump-out dock. I actually learned a great deal that day even though it definitely wasn't meant to be instructive.

Word of caution - there isn't a lot of room left for error. One guy on the boat accidental gybed (really flukey winds) and was warned that if he did it again he wouldn't pass. Same guy, after being below decks doing the navigation/buoyage/pilotage portion was asked to explain the significance of the east cardinal marker...got it slightly wrong and was again warned that a second incorrect answer would result in failing the assessment. He passed and did great otherwise but it's not like taking an ASA multiple guess test.

As far as where to concentrate your preparation, forget the actual sailing part and learn to navigate to the RYA Day Skipper Theory level. In fact, just do the Day Skipper Theory online course. It isn't expensive, is very thorough and will prepare you for everything but the actual sailing.

To illustrate that point, I've been sailing since April. That's it. Took a basic sailing course with the wife in Portland, sailed a handful of times on the Columbia, took the RYA Day Skipper Theory course, then chartered a Jeanneau 44DS in the San Juans the first week of May. We hired a private instructor to ride along, tested out of ASA 101, and completed ASA 103/104 in the first four days, then he jumped off and we had the boat to ourselves the remaining four days. I also went out one day locally with an excellent instructor right before the assessment in which I did a bunch of docking and MOB drills. So that is my level of practical experience actually sailing boats, granted I grew up on power boats on inland lakes so boat handling isn't completely foreign to me. Anyway, needless to say, everyone who has ever undertaken the ICC assessment, and likely everyone on this forum, can sail circles around me.

Back to the ICC assessment. One of the other two guys on the boat had owned a 37 footer some years ago and had done a couple deliveries and some offshore sailing. The other guy was in the Coast Guard for 20 or 30 years and owns a 41ft boat, and needed an ICC in preparation for cruising the Med in a couple years. Each of us had to go below decks for the oral navigation portion of the assessment. I spent a lot less time down there than the other guys even though they both obviously have way more experience than me. Assessor asked a few questions and was satisfied I had actually completed the Day Skipper Theory course and understood what was going on. The other guys had the parallel rulers out and were having to do full passage plans etc. So the key to passing the assessment with flying colors is the navigation, day shapes, nav lights, right of way, buoyage, distress signals etc. Nobody who is serious enough to take the ICC assessment is going to have any problem with the actual sailing and boat handling stuff.
Thanks mucho for the heads up. Those are definitely my weak points. I'll download the day Skipper theory course right now. I've been reviewing the buoys and lights twice daily.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:50   #27
cruiser

Quote:
If you have ASA 101, 103, 104 certification you are eligible for International Proficiency Certificate (IPC), which recognized as the equivalent of an ICC.

https://asa.com/international-proficiency-certificate/

I do not think it will meet your timeline.
Unfortunately it won't. I was so focused on obtaining the ICC, I didn't consider other avenues.

Looks like I need to brush up on my navigation skills.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:07   #28

Quote:
Unfortunately it won't. I was so focused on obtaining the ICC, I didn't consider other avenues.

Looks like I need to brush up on my navigation skills.
Feel free to use the slides from my Coastal Navigation course

CYA Coastal Navigation

I use a CD for two of the sections. The method of determining currents in the St. Lawrence is similar to that used in the English Channel.

This site is also very good.

Advanced navigation courses - sailing schools Greece and the Greek islands

All the best on getting the ICC.
Old 02-07-2016, 13:05   #29
cruiser

Quote:
Feel free to use the slides from my Coastal Navigation course

CYA Coastal Navigation

I use a CD for two of the sections. The method of determining currents in the St. Lawrence is similar to that used in the English Channel.

This site is also very good.

Advanced navigation courses - sailing schools Greece and the Greek islands

All the best on getting the ICC.
Thanks Jack, I appreciate the help.
Old 02-07-2016, 14:48   #30

Quote:
Thanks Jack, I appreciate the help.
Just remember the cardinal rule: western women are wasp waisted, eastern ladies are elegantly elongated equatorially 😀

Sent from my SM-T705W using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
icc, license