Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2009, 04:02   #1

Boat: River Barge 77FT X 15FT
I Have a Dream! (Or Am i Mad?)

I have a dream! or am i mad.

I am retiring in August 09 and want to change my life, however it not simple this is my idealised concept retire (48) go on a fast track yacht master course, then buy a catamaran take my girl and two kids and sail the world with them for 3 years or so. off course it sounds simple i know that it is a huge leap not just for me but for them.

Other than the course i have no real experience other than, speed boats, diving, the odd day sailing but nothing substantive at all.

so what do you think madness or possible? will i know what im doing after the course, killing my self is one thing but the family is another thing
(we have spent allot of money on them over the years).

I will make them do safety and sailing course's as well sort out schooling get on board internet etc. send them home to see family every few months or so but will it be safe for them and will it ruin them or make them.

any thoughts,advice

Bluesky
bluesky18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 06:15   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings, and welcome aboard Bluesky.

We all started out with similar inexperience and dreams; and most of us survived the learning curve. As long as you know your changing limitations, there's no madness at all in persuing your dreams.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 07:49   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Bluesky --

Welcome to the asylum!

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 08:14   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentional Drifter View Post
Bluesky --

Welcome to the asylum!

ID
The question is, though, is Intentional Drifter a doctor in the asylum, or a patient - or (gasp!) both?

TaoJones
Old 19-06-2009, 11:20   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
You sound sane enough to me....go for it.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 12:38   #6

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Mad?

Do it dude!
You'll never regret a minute. One word of caution; slow down, chill, and enjoy every day. Alright, six words.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 14:38   #7

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky18 View Post
I am retiring in August 09 and want to change my life, however it not simple this is my idealised concept retire (48) go on a fast track yacht master course, then buy a catamaran take my girl and two kids and sail the world with them for 3 years or so. off course it sounds simple i know that it is a huge leap not just for me but for them.

I will make them do safety and sailing course's as well sort out schooling get on board internet etc. send them home to see family every few months or so but will it be safe for them and will it ruin them or make them.
You might have been crazy before but you're fine now!

Seriously, as long as you can handle the costs and don't end up being a danger to yourself or others, things tend to work out just fine.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 14:41   #8

Boat: Nomoboat -- yay Gustav ;)
Send a message via AIM to drew.ward
Because you have a dream, and it involves a boat, you are mad!!

Welcome to the club

drew.ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 15:09   #9

All cruisers are at least a little bit crazy - you’ll fit right in.

For the most part cruising isn’t really about sailing. It’s mostly about being anchored in exotic places and living on a sailboat. Don’t know where you’re located, but if you and your companions have zero experience and you can afford it, I recommend you try a one week crewed catamaran charter in the BVIs. It’s expensive; but it will give you a condensed although somewhat misleading, and nevertheless very informative view of what cruising is like. You will learn a lot; you can ask questions whenever they occur to you; and unless you have a very unusual experience, you will have a blast.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2009, 00:21   #10

Boat: Skookum 53'
Welcome Bluesky, if your children are made a part of the crew and given responsibilities, and not just along for the ride, it could be the best thing that ever happens in their lives.
Old 22-06-2009, 19:07   #11
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
A pivotal point in my life (19) I was in Yosemite National Park...I was taking a climbing course......as I walked down the trail from practice climb...with all my gear strapped on....I passed an "Old" guy (about 35 or so)......He said "If I were only younger I'd try that....I have never put that in my vocabulary....never will....ODAT
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 20:11   #12

Boat: H28
Chief - Not in my vocabulary either!! But physical age has not got much to do with it. I've known blokes far younger than 35 who've reckoned they're 'passed it' when it came to some grand scheme or other.
For the record, I'm 64 and I'm about to conclude the purchase of my first hang-glider. (I'll get some lessons before I do anything too stupid). Perhaps the older you are the easier it is to 'go for it?'
Chrisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 20:24   #13

Boat: Vagabond 42
Send a message via AIM to Whispering Star
You are not crazy, it will take preparation for the children's schooling. But what an education. There are internet course also mailin courses for the kids. A friend of ours, has the same plan, they have 3 boys. I will ask her and see what her research has come up with. Grab the dream, educate yourself and move on to the next item on the list.
Whispering Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 22:01   #14

Boat: 25' Coronada - Seileaster
One form of education is in a classroom. Alternatives are home schooling (or sloop schooling. schooner schooling, catamaran calculus, trimaran trigonometry....). The other is the school of life and adventure. Teach them enough to meet the curricula for your area and what they learn with 3 years of cruising will surpass everything.
History, culture, language, physics, geography in real time.

Make an arrangement with their school. Every week you mail their completed marked assignments in. The possibilities are endless.

If following your dreams means being mad, some of the greatest people in history then have been mad and the world needs more madmen.
canuck1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 22:51   #15

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
When I was 47, I set out on a circumnavigation on a catamaran with my wife and two kids. We did schooling by correspondance and we had a great time. I would do it again in a heartbeat. The only problem now is that the kids are grown up. It's more fun with the kids.

Our cirucmnavigation was supposed to take eighteen months, but instead it took eleven years to complete. A catamaran is a great way to go when you have kids because you have good separation of accomodations which means each kid has their own space.

You are not crazy. Or maybe you are crazy like a fox.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote