Couple questions regarding calculating and documenting time served for a 6-Pack captain's license
(ala CG-719S, the "sea service" form)... Most of my confusion centers around terms such as "sea service" and "master" when applied to a recreational/non-commercial setting, so please bear with me...
- for my personally-owned boat (37' power express cruiser), am I supposed to be keeping track of all days of "deck service"? since I would be both the applicant and the owner/master of the vessel, do I really need to fill out the "sea service" form for each time I go out?
- how does this work when doing a bareboat charter
? do I need to get the owner to endorse a "sea service" form? or am I considered the "master" and can thus endorse it myself?
- how about when sailing on a friend's boat, do I get him to sign a "sea service" form for me?
- I spent much of my time growing up, and as a young adult, boating
on smaller inland boats, like ski boats (16-18') and aluminum fishing
boats (14' or so?). I'm assuming those don't count, although in looking at the rules, it is not clear? In fact, I even stumbled across a CG doc suggesting that some limited amount of sea service
can be credited for "jet-skis, kayaks and canoes"?!?
- It's also not clear (to me) at what age I can begin counting boating
experience towards the 360 days of "sea service"?
Thanks in advance for any advice/clarification folks can provide!