Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2018, 10:28   #1
BKC

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Astrea 42
Greece Charter - additonal crew 'qualifications'

Doing a charter in Greece in June - its been 19 yrs since we last chartered there. I'm aware of the ICC skipper requirement - I did RYA skipper license in 1992 and moved countries a few times and never kept up paperwork. US resident now so took (retook) ASA exams last year and got my ICC and FCC VHF license also.

I've seen some mention of Greece requiring vessels to have one additional 'Competent Crew' in addition to Skipper. Sailing with my family who all sail and have crewed many times so no issue with the practical requirement. They do not have formal qualifications however.

But does anyone know if (and how!) we need to prove that we meet the requirement. Is it simply enough for the Skipper to certify this?
Old 24-05-2018, 10:38   #2

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.
Re: Greece Charter - additonal crew 'qualifications'

Did you ask the bareboat company these questions?
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 11:18   #3
BKC

They referred me to a page which isn't clear. Also, I want to know what Greece requires, not just what charter company might let you away with! Thks.
Old 24-05-2018, 13:26   #4

Hi Brian,
I am also chartering in Greece and coincidently also in June and with family. Neither my wife, nor my 2yr-old daughter have certificates (working hard but not yet there ). The company I am chartering with has only asked me to confirm that the skipper has an ICC/RYA Day Skipper certificate.

If you ask the charter company and they are not able to say anything directly, that is bad news. Are you going to the Ionian? There are lots of other charters in this region who are very friendly.
Cheers
Old 24-05-2018, 14:19   #5
BKC

Hi:

Thanks. We are actually going out of Athens (Zea) just to have fun racing freighters doing +20KTs.! Ionian is awesome - brave man with a 2 year old! Good for you.

The charter company has been very helpful, but having checked their website, it specifically asks for a Competent Crew Qualification/ Declaration of Honour. In Greece it is the charter companies responsibility to make sure you are good to go. But with +$7k of flights from the US in hand, I want to be 100% sure to know the specific requirement from Greek authorities. The sales staff double checked (but probably with someone in the US!) and said a crew resume is fine, but I don't want to find out the hard way that it is simply because no one has had an issue so far with this requirement!
Old 25-05-2018, 00:24   #6

Boat: Elan 45

Hi,

There is no need for additional certifications or "proves". Basically the person that you will list as your co skipper will sign a confirmation that he/she is capable of operating the vessel.
If they really can do it it is even better (as often it is just another guy in the crew who is assigned).

At least that was the way until last summer.

Enjoy your holidays
Dimitar
Cafe Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 01:23   #7

Just returned from a charter in Greece and although my wife has a Competent Crew certificate, we had neglected to bring it with us. I was then just asked to certify (as part of the printed charter contract) that she was a competent 2nd. in command.
As I'm sure many of you will guess, she is actually 1st. in command in all other things!!
Old 25-05-2018, 01:44   #8

Boat: Cuddles 30ft Motor Sailer

It's Greece. Relax! They'll work something out for you.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 05:42   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafe Racer View Post
Hi,

There is no need for additional certifications or "proves". Basically the person that you will list as your co skipper will sign a confirmation that he/she is capable of operating the vessel.
If they really can do it it is even better (as often it is just another guy in the crew who is assigned).

At least that was the way until last summer.

Enjoy your holidays
Dimitar

That's correct. It's a formality. Just fill out the attached form for the "co-skipper".
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Co-Skipper_Port-Statement.pdf (71.5 KB, 104 views)
Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 12:27   #10

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey DS43

Hummm! Greece is disorganized to say the least! And they are hungry for charter customers. We sail here for the last 4 years, 3 monts each year.
First, it’s the charter company that qualify you before contracting a charter boat with you. So you must comply with their rules. Then they will clear the crew list wit the Greek coast guards, not you!!!
So if they’re swaying responsibility, this is not good,
Check it out and go to someone else
We used in the past Kiriakoulis with no problem and little experience.
Good luck
Chalifour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 17:03   #11

Boat: Swanson 36 in Australia Bavaria 42 in Med

As an Australian and owner of a yacht in Greece, yes we have to jump through the hoops with Port Police etc.
But if I chartered a yacht would the charter company have to give a crew list to the PP?
patprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 19:37   #12

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

We sailed the Greek islands a few years back, Out of Athens, two weeks plus. , Originally we were going to bare boat.

The thought hit me, I cannot speak Greek, Read Greek, nor have any local knowledge, so we decided to go with with Poisidon Charters, skipper , crew / cook. 60 foot sailing vessel Chrisitana for a two week plus ( skippered charter.). The Sasronic Gulf and Cycladice's. Included a land stay at Santorini for a couple of days.

Good stuff !

We acted as unofficial watch captains, and stood helm watches, trimmed sails, hauled up and lowered sails, helped with anchoring and docking stern to, some times three and four boats deep . Nuts.

If we were bare boat chartering, after experiencing all those criss crossed anchor lines , and walking over several boats with our stern lines, and to go ashore, we would absolutely have a dinghy, and anchor out away from all of that. And dink ashore. Most harbors that was possible.

As to the sailing, great winds, making fast knots for speed, covering many miles , well found vessel, no night sailing, great and fun Greek people, excellent fun times ashore, wonderful history and sites of the birth place of western civilization. We had a flotiila of two additional bare boats with poisidon charters, and both of them had some major problems. That had to do with navigation and seaman ship, not systems.

We had professional licensed skippers, and one lovely crew/cook, two different skippers of one week each for the two weeks. It was great sailing, partying, eating, hiking, and exploring those marvelous islands. Some of the seven passengers wanted to act as crew, others wanted to kick back and soak up the sunshine.

I am a USCG licensed master, and Erica is an excellent sailor, and I mean sailor. But her certifications were thru sailing clubs and well known world wide bare boat charter companies.

I would imagine we would qualify to bare boat in Greece, but we would certainly thoroughly check out the requirements. We have sailed the south pacific, Australia, Mexico, much of the Caribbean, and motor vessel in ireland up the river Shannon. Never had a problem with qualfication anywhere. But no idea about Greece, others have helped you out on that score.

Regardless of all that, we had a great time , super comfortable private cabin, and got in a lot of sailing as crew. However, personally, I do not think we will do a cabin type of sailing trip again. We prefer sailing and charting our own courses, but at times on those two weeks sailing the Greek Islands , we were pleased that we had professional and local knowledge skipper and crew.

What I do not understand is that the charter company that you have elected to bare boat with, is not totally up front with you as to skipper and possibly crew certification.

Sounds like you have a great and dedicated crew to me. But, would there be any problems with the authorities, especially if serious situations raise their nasty heads.

If it all comes together, have a grand and wonderful sailing vacation. You are going to like it.

Absolutely, zero problems ashore. Always a grand and fun time.
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 22:47   #13

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey DS43

The charter company should ask you the informations required to prepare your crew list upon your deposit. They usually prepare the crew list and get it approved by PP prior to or at your arrival.
Chalifour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 00:10   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKC View Post
Doing a charter in Greece in June - its been 19 yrs since we last chartered there. I'm aware of the ICC skipper requirement - I did RYA skipper license in 1992 and moved countries a few times and never kept up paperwork. US resident now so took (retook) ASA exams last year and got my ICC and FCC VHF license also.

I've seen some mention of Greece requiring vessels to have one additional 'Competent Crew' in addition to Skipper. Sailing with my family who all sail and have crewed many times so no issue with the practical requirement. They do not have formal qualifications however.

But does anyone know if (and how!) we need to prove that we meet the requirement. Is it simply enough for the Skipper to certify this?
Very simple. A crew of yours who feels he is capable to replace you if something happens to you fills-in a standard form of declaration with his ID details and adds a sentence like this.
I am capable to replace the skipper.
He signs it and that's all. The port police accepts it as the 2nd licence.
I am surprised to read so much criticism about Greece.
1. On earth, Greece is the top maritime and nautical nation. By far #1
2. On earth, Greece is by far the top places to be for sailing. By far the best.
3. On earth, Greece is the real place to find out what sun, wind and nature is.
4. On earth, Greece is the easiest place to learn how to sail. Just apply to any Yacht Club. No matter what is your age.
When you are leaving Greece at the end of your trip drop me a line to tell me where else you could have better sailing holidays.
Regards.
iliasgeorgiadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 07:46   #15

Hello! If you want to rent a boat without no "specific qualifications" on your own, I recommend you to do it with https://www.topsailingcharter.com/en...ece/304-3.html as you are not required to have them.

I hope it helps!
mikeywalsh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, crew, Greece