Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2018, 08:12   #1

Getting an ICC without British citizenship/residency?

I did my training according to the RYA syllabus being coastal skipper ATM. However, I am neither British citizen nor resident, thus not qualify for a "free" ICC ticket from the RYA.

Are there any countries, which don't impose residency requirements to obtain an ICC and there is a quick assessment? I'd like to avoid redoing the whole training, and definitely don't want to throw out 1000+EUR range of money and months of time on the "home country" (living in Switzerland) course ladder.

As far my memory serves, IYT was authorized to issue ICC worldwide but it isn't anymore.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:54   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Getting an ICC without British citizenship/residency?

GTom.. if you currently hold the RYA Coastal Skipper ticket and its in date you do not need the ICC.
Mine has to be renewed every 5yrs.. just send it off with the fee and the new valid for 5yrs ticket appears in return post.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:23   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Getting an ICC without British citizenship/residency?

What is your citizenship?

So long as you are EITHER a resident OR a citizen of a country which is not an UNECE member, you should be OK. See: Who can get an ICC from the RYA? | The ICC and Evidence of Competence Abroad | Boating Abroad | Knowledge & Advice | Knowledge & Advice | RYA

If you are a Swiss citizen as well as resident, then you are supposed to get your ICC in Switzerland.

But as Boatman61 said, your RYA qualification MIGHT be enough depending on where you are intending to charter or sail. It's up to the coastal state to determine which qualifications they require or don't require. UNECE members are OBLIGATED by treaty to recognize the ICC, but the treaty does not require them to DEMAND the ICC. Most of them accept other qualifications, and many of them don't demand any qualifications at all.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:36   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

My RYA quals have been accepted world wide.. and for local employment in Portugal and Spain.. where they got me a Spanish Marine Blue Book.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 10-01-2018, 10:14   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
If you are a Swiss citizen as well as resident, then you are supposed to get your ICC in Switzerland.
That's the problem, I don't have any helpful citizenships.

Quote:
But as Boatman61 said, your RYA qualification MIGHT be enough depending on where you are intending to charter or sail. It's up to the coastal state to determine which qualifications they require or don't require. UNECE members are OBLIGATED by treaty to recognize the ICC, but the treaty does not require them to DEMAND the ICC. Most of them accept other qualifications, and many of them don't demand any qualifications at all.
Spain would be the first target.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:37   #6

Boat: Dehler Varianta 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
UNECE members are OBLIGATED by treaty to recognize the ICC, but the treaty does not require them to DEMAND the ICC. Most of them accept other qualifications, and many of them don't demand any qualifications at all.
Well, I can definitely say it isn´t a straight line and most certainly not such a walk in the park!

I am Portuguese and I live in Czech Republic... I had to make another license! Despite having even involved the SOLVIT (more or less a EU commission branch for equality between member states), I simply had to do it all over again.
Why? Because Portuguese (and many others) licenses do not have the CEVNI endorsement!

If you want to sail inland, you will definitely need CEVNI... and guess what? The only one available is from the ICC, with the inland option, of course.

Not complicated, just time consuming and you will be a few euros poorer.
For me was more complicated, because back then I did not speak one word of Czech and Portuguese citizens were not able to get an ICC in Portugal, so I had to hire an official translator and book special exams

Good luck.
messias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:42   #7

[QUOTE=GTom;2552567]That's the problem, I don't have any helpful citizenships.

Not a problem...if you have a residency permit
It is not enough to just live in the country! If I had not change my permanent address from Portugal to Czech Republic, I was not able to enroll in the Czech ICC.

For all the wrong reasons I had a lot of experience with this, so if you tell me what is your citizenship and what is you legal status in Switzerland, I can advise some next steps.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:19   #8

Swiss in Switzerland I must have been unclear... Silly me, thought it makes sense to learn to sail at sea in a seafarer country - apparently should have pushed dinghies on the lake instead of the real seas/tides/all the interesting stuff of UK, on top of that, do all the things in German while 90% of the sailing population speaks English...
Old 11-01-2018, 10:42   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

I am a US citizen residing in Germany. Just to learn the various buoys and signage used in the canals of Holland and Germany, I took a course and obtained a Sportbootführerschein Binnen which I have been told also qualifies as an ICC, even though in Germany the license is valid only in rivers and lakes.

Being a US citizen, I am not required by the US to have a license and the Europeans have to accept that fact.

I did pay VAT to the Dutch and obtained a Post Construction Assement survey and got the 1973 Pearson 36 rated RCD "A".

Where does all this bureaucracy come from anyway?
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:54   #10

Boat: Moody 49

I have been cruising in The Med for a year. I have ICC and RYA quals. Have only been asked for ICC once- ironically when checking out of Turkey. They would have accepted RYA docs.

I suggest the indate RYA quals would be ok!
Mark Thurlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:58   #11

Boat: Santana 37

I'm an American citizen with a USCG 100 ton near coastal license. Will I need to get an ICC if I want to cruise Europe?
sailscubasurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:02   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Naah.. just a return ticket..

Old 11-01-2018, 11:19   #13

Boat: Carena 40

I am a US citizen. I was living in Germany when I took my exams in The Netherlands for a Vaarbewijs II. The Vaarbewijs II automatically entitles one to an ICC which both my wife (Dutch citizen) and I have.

In The Netherlands we don't need a license for our boat because it is less than 15 meters long. We got this back in 2007 so that we could charter a boat a Croatia.

It is a crazy mix but it worked.
Make_My_Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:21   #14

Boat: Carena 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailscubasurf View Post
I'm an American citizen with a USCG 100 ton near coastal license. Will I need to get an ICC if I want to cruise Europe?

Depends on the requirements of the individual country.
Make_My_Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:27   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post

Being a US citizen, I am not required by the US to have a license and the Europeans have to accept that fact.
Good luck with that is all I (and the authorities) can tell you. In fact they can say a lot more...

If you are on a US flagged boat, then you will have no issues...But on any other EU flagged boat (from a country that does require a license), then you will most definitely get into trouble.

Tags
enc, icc