Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2012, 17:15   #1

Boat: 1984 Hunter 31
Foul Weather Gear- What's the Deal?

hi all, very new to the sailing world. headed down to FL over thanksgiving week to get my certifications done. the school requires me to bring weather gear">foul weather gear (jacket, pants as a minimum). looking online for these items, I'm taken back how expensive a simple rain jacket would run. It seems like $200 is a minimum investment for a low end rain coat.

Now, I'm from Colorado and here we snowboard. The jacket shells I own for snowboarding are lightweight, flexible for movement, made of nylon with sealed stitching and have a waterproof rating of 10,000mm.

My question is this: what is the difference of a foul weather jacket for sailing than that of which I already own? I can't find many specs online to see if there is much of a difference in materials, weight, etc. The pictures don't tell me much. Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!
Ford Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 17:35   #2

I snowboard in foulies but wouldn't do foul weather boating in snow gear.

Good foulies are bult solid. Super high chested suspender pants, reinforced wear panels, tough leg cuffs to cinch around boots, waterproof and breathable, hoods built in, pockets where you need them, reflective panels, high collar, etc.

You really can take a wall of water dead on in good foulies and remain relatively and surprisingly dry. If you're not in crap conditions a lot, don't waste the money. If you do a lot of sailing in gross conditions you're going to spend a lot of time freezing and wet, getting to know all the fine details of foulies.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 17:56   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: foul weather gear- What's the deal?

Pockets have drains, collars cinch up to keep water from running down your back and filling your boots. They should also have cold water/warm water gear. For FL you should only need light warm water gear, IMO. Someone from FL might think it gets cold down there in the winter.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 17:59   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Also do a search on this site for "Foul Weather Gear". There is a host of threads.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ear-91422.html
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 18:04   #5
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Prefect View Post
hi all, very new to the sailing world. headed down to FL over thanksgiving week to get my certifications done. the school requires me to bring foul weather gear (jacket, pants as a minimum). looking online for these items, I'm taken back how expensive a simple rain jacket would run. It seems like $200 is a minimum investment for a low end rain coat.

Now, I'm from Colorado and here we snowboard. The jacket shells I own for snowboarding are lightweight, flexible for movement, made of nylon with sealed stitching and have a waterproof rating of 10,000mm.

My question is this: what is the difference of a foul weather jacket for sailing than that of which I already own? I can't find many specs online to see if there is much of a difference in materials, weight, etc. The pictures don't tell me much. Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Do you know anyone there who sails? Borrowing them might be the best answer. Thing is, in November, in Florida -- it just isn't going to be that cold. I do have a set of "foulies" that I got very reasonably from Overstock.com, made by Columbia. I have packed them for my sail from Miami to Tampa, probably over Thanksgiving. But I also put in a waterproof lightweight jacket and waterproof "river pants," MUCH cheaper. I'm glad I bought the "foulies" because they were a great deal, but I may never use them. If I put them on in a storm in Florida I would ROAST.

Maybe on Craigslist you could find someone who would rent them to you for a week cheaply. I would. I would just want a deposit in case something happened to them.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 18:35   #6

Boat: O'Day 28
Re: Foul Weather Gear- What's the Deal?

What you have will be just fine.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 18:38   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Take a walk through your local Army surplus store. I have bought many foulies suitable for summer sailing on the Great Lakes in these places. If the weather is so bad in Florida that you need north Atlantic style foulies they probably won't go out.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 18:40   #8

Boat: 1984 Hunter 31
Thanks guys. The gear I own is lightweight but I think it would be a bit heavy for Florida weather. I'll look around on CL and see if there's anything on the cheap.
Ford Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 18:50   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I am always cruising Florida in the winter and I don't believe in the need for expensive foul weather gear. A light weight waterproofed jacket that can zip up to your chin with a hood and light weight pants can do well. There's no need to have cuffs that keep water out of your boots because there's no need for boots,- some light weight reef shoes or deck shoes that you don't mind getting wet well suit you well. I even have a pair of light waterproof ski-pant covers that I have used. Pockets that drain?.....What's to keep dry in your pockets? Florida sailors aren't fishing in the North Sea,- light, cheap & easy would be my choice.
Old 27-10-2012, 18:53   #10

Boat: 41' Sail

Much different requirements for different conditons. What you have in terms of shellls are fine for Florida. (Not these next few days) Wouldn't suggest snow gear with insulation as your foul weather choice. Lots of guys I race/crew with use shells on pants and jacket but have the offshore gear for louder conditions.
Old 27-10-2012, 19:21   #11

Boat: Allures 44

I sail with a light Gortex shell most of the time. The serious foul weather gear only comes out when needed.

I once tried skiing in a one-piece dinghy suit. It was stiff, slippery material, before the days of nice, soft Gortex. Anyway, I wiped out, started sliding, and couldn't stop until I went into the trees!
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 19:37   #12

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

Having sailed in southern Australia, Queensland and SE Asia tropics I have purchased for my wife and self a "Stormy" Gortex style jacket. This brand started out made in Australia as "Stormy Seas" nut now sold on ebay as "Stormy".

Features which I liked are that the sleeves are removable so can be worn as a vest only - good in hotter weather. Also has inflation built in so is effectively a PFD1 and has safety harness built in also.
I find these inclusions mean I do not have to be making a conscious decision to put on my safety harness and PFD - is just done automatically.

I have multiple sets of Musto, Gill and Stormy but Stormy is my preference.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weather