Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 06:44   #31

Re: For Which USCG Captain’s License Can I Qualify ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePa View Post
Thanks for replying so quickly, Capt.Mike. I'm less interested in charters and more interested in deliveries and professional "boat driver" opportunities as you suggested.
Then I think 100 ton would be the way to go there. It's a few more questions over the OPUV test and as recall about $100 more in costs.
Old 09-10-2012, 20:10   #32

USCG 100 ton is a nice credential to have. Too bad it isn't open to non-Americans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart
Call up the NMC and try to reason with them; it won't go very far. I was on a submarine and got zero of that time approved. Drifting along fishing on the lake with a six pack? You're good to go.
Pretty funny, isn't it?

There are people on other forums (e.g., Dockwalk) who bang on and on about the MCA YM not being a 'real' ticket because the minimum sea time required (50 days + 2,500 miles + various specified passages) is much less than the 360 days required for a USCG licence. They conveniently omit the fact that "sea time" can be pretty loosely interpreted in the States.

FWIW, here in Canada, a Master 150 ton Domestic certificate of competency requires "at least 24 months performing deck duties": which, per para. 3.23 in TP 2293E, cannot be performed in pleasure yachts unless (i) service is as paid crew under a crew agreement, (ii) voyages are of a certain class, and (iii) the yacht is at least 5 gross tons displacement. Upper-deck service on naval vessels may be counted, but only if labouriously authenticated in accord with the provisions of para. 3.17.

Does this mean that Canadian licence holders are safer or 'better' than those of other countries? I am unaware of any data backing up that assumption. Ultimately each country does what works for it. I don't see much point in denigrating the 'loose' requirements of another nation's licensing system: it's rather like the argument "my girlfriend is uglier than your's" ...
Svanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 20:21   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

I remember way back when, navy time didn't count unless you were in the deck crews or engine room crews. In other words, if you were like a purser or clerk, your sea time did not count. But that was a long time ago and things change.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:00   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
I remember way back when, navy time didn't count unless you were in the deck crews or engine room crews. In other words, if you were like a purser or clerk, your sea time did not count. But that was a long time ago and things change.
I think it's still the same. Not taking my time because it was a submarine sort of pissed me off because it's not like a boatswain on a surface ship is sitting there handling mooring lines and doing navigation all day. And hey, we need to dock the sub and navigate it as well.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:03   #35

Boat: private yacht always moving
Re: Which USCG Captain’s License Can I Qualify For?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
As long as you can document that you were on a vessel and underway, then yes.

100 PERCENT WRONG
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:14   #36

Boat: private yacht always moving

Another bit of info I'll pass along is that there can be considerable difference on how your sea time is evaluated from one REC to another. I've had students who were turned down by one then sent their packet to a different REC and was accepted. You also don't have to take the test at the same REC that you were evaluated by.

Last bit of advice is, "if in doubt, check the CFR's". In order to pass your exam you'll need to become intimate with the CFR's anyways so might as well dig in and start learning now. Answers to this and many other questions can all be answered there (and yes, they are available on line).

The Rec ONLY do testing and paperwork forwarding to NMC. the Rec no longer evaluate anything but paperwork
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 18:48   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svanen View Post
USCG 100 ton is a nice credential to have. Too bad it isn't open to non-Americans.

Pretty funny, isn't it?

There are people on other forums (e.g., Dockwalk) who bang on and on about the MCA YM not being a 'real' ticket because the minimum sea time required (50 days + 2,500 miles + various specified passages) is much less than the 360 days required for a USCG licence. They conveniently omit the fact that "sea time" can be pretty loosely interpreted in the States.

FWIW, here in Canada, a Master 150 ton Domestic certificate of competency requires "at least 24 months performing deck duties": which, per para. 3.23 in TP 2293E, cannot be performed in pleasure yachts unless (i) service is as paid crew under a crew agreement, (ii) voyages are of a certain class, and (iii) the yacht is at least 5 gross tons displacement. Upper-deck service on naval vessels may be counted, but only if labouriously authenticated in accord with the provisions of para. 3.17.

Does this mean that Canadian licence holders are safer or 'better' than those of other countries? I am unaware of any data backing up that assumption. Ultimately each country does what works for it. I don't see much point in denigrating the 'loose' requirements of another nation's licensing system: it's rather like the argument "my girlfriend is uglier than your's" ...
I would state absolutly not.
But only a Canadian lisence is valid on a Canadian Vessel. so it does not matter which is best.
A USCG 6 pack or other is only valid on a US Vessel. But on US Vessel only USCG lisence are Valid.
The British love to claim everything British is Best but RYA Yachtmaster is only Valid in UK and has no official standing unless you have a comercial endorsment.
It is the easiest to get.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:44   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uricanejack View Post
I would state absolutly not.
But only a Canadian lisence is valid on a Canadian Vessel. so it does not matter which is best.
A USCG 6 pack or other is only valid on a US Vessel. But on US Vessel only USCG lisence are Valid.
The British love to claim everything British is Best but RYA Yachtmaster is only Valid in UK and has no official standing unless you have a comercial endorsment.
It is the easiest to get.
The British love to claim? What a Rant: Check out STCW 95 requirements and your spelling please.
While you are at it, you may also like to check out the Statistics regarding preferred Nationality & Qualifications for Super Yachts.

Cheers.
Islander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 14:40   #39

For the USCG licenses, once you get above an OUPV and the lowest grade Masters, the sea time requirements start to become pretty significant. Bopping around in skiffs as a kid can help get you a 25T or 50T Inland Masters, but to get 100T or near shore, let along ocean or something over 100T, you need some serious time on bigger boats, much of it as a licensed captain. Lots of people say they have a Masters, but leave out the actual ratings that it carries. It makes a big difference.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 14:54   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander1 View Post
The British love to claim? What a Rant: Check out STCW 95 requirements and your spelling please.
While you are at it, you may also like to check out the Statistics regarding preferred Nationality & Qualifications for Super Yachts.

Cheers.
Meerly pointing out "Best" is irrelevent.
Valid for carying passengers requires a certificate or lisence issued by the Flag state.

Good, bad, or Best "Yachtmaster" is not a lisence. A "6 pack" is

The British like to claim thier football teams are the "best".
Old 05-03-2013, 16:16   #41

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
..RYA Yachtmaster is only Valid in UK..
FALSE; The RYA/MVA Yachmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence (which is the proper name of the thing) with STCW endorsement is accepted by a long list of flag states (including most if not all of the red ensign countries that account for most large yachts) as a "master of yachts up to 200gt"

Quote:
.. RYA Yachtmaster ..has no official standing unless you have a comercial endorsment.
This is a truism. If you have an RYA Yachtmaster certificate but did not bother to do the medical exam, etc required for commercial work then you cannot do commercial work. So what?

Quote:
.. RYA Yachtmaster.. .. is the easiest to get.
IMHO this statement is outrageous and can only be explained by lack of knowledge. The standard for the last part of the Yachtmaster exam is a shorthanded sailing trip at night without using GPSs or engine between two ports in a seriously tidal area. We are talking about difficult stuff here.
Compare that to just a multiple choice exam required by USCG...

The only logic I see to claim that the USCG credentials are not "easy" is based on the fact that they require US citizenship (unless you want a ticket limited to 5 tons and "near coastal" waters, in which case they still require a green card). If you need something to show citizenship you can get a passport, why mix marine credentials with citizenship?

Cheers

C
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 16:32   #42
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
rYA Yachtmaster is not a commercial ticket in merchant navy, there are appropriate master mariner tickets eye in Britian as elsewhere.

What the RYA YM has been used for is super yachting , until recently the was a totally unregulated arena , as it is not a commercial vessel. You may be employed commercially to man it but that's different. The MCA brought out a series of manning requirements and minimum training standards for super yachts and the YM is the entry ticket.

The RYA YM is not a professional mariners ticket, and in general is not recognised in that world. There is no cross recognition of the RYA YM, because most countries either have their own leisure licenses or don't require anything. If you want to drive a ship , you do the professional mariners training in the UK and elsewhere.

Dave
Old 05-03-2013, 17:39   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
FALSE; The RYA/MVA Yachmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence (which is the proper name of the thing) with STCW endorsement is accepted by a long list of flag states (including most if not all of the red ensign countries that account for most large yachts) as a "master of yachts up to 200gt"

This is a truism. If you have an RYA Yachtmaster certificate but did not bother to do the medical exam, etc required for commercial work then you cannot do commercial work. So what?

IMHO this statement is outrageous and can only be explained by lack of knowledge. The standard for the last part of the Yachtmaster exam is a shorthanded sailing trip at night without using GPSs or engine between two ports in a seriously tidal area. We are talking about difficult stuff here.
Compare that to just a multiple choice exam required by USCG...

The only logic I see to claim that the USCG credentials are not "easy" is based on the fact that they require US citizenship (unless you want a ticket limited to 5 tons and "near coastal" waters, in which case they still require a green card). If you need something to show citizenship you can get a passport, why mix marine credentials with citizenship?

Cheers

C
I will aknowladge I did not fully state all areas of validity for RYA and probabaly don't know the entire list.
all british certificates are valid in all british terotories ie most which fly red ensignes. Other jurisdication may acept as equivelent to thier own and issue a certificate of equivelance. others just acept in luie of there being non existant.

The US does not.

Agree with the so what to non comercial certificate RYA Yachtmaster course has excelent rep and if you had the good sense and fouthought to take an RYA course before going sailing or inoder to just learn more latter
Good on you. its probabaly one of the best sailing course around.

As for the comercial I am certainly no expert but I took your advice and looked it up.
15 weeks. total
about 30 days on the water in a 40ft boat
a few overnight.
60 miles in charge to qualify
Yachtmaster Ofshore STCW

So far looks pretty easy compared to a US 100t or 200t

I have to admit 8.5 G kind of hard to find along with 15 weeks unpaid freetime. that bit might not be so easy.

Aparently you could then be hired as "Master" on a Yacht up to 200t

So far looks pretty easy. Not that I wish to offend but if this iss all you need and you dont intend to work in US it looks like the way to go.

But given a choice I'd hire the yank. He might actualy have some expierience even if his book smarts are not as good
Old 16-04-2013, 09:52   #44

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
For the USCG licenses, once you get above an OUPV and the lowest grade Masters, the sea time requirements start to become pretty significant. Bopping around in skiffs as a kid can help get you a 25T or 50T Inland Masters, but to get 100T or near shore, let along ocean or something over 100T, you need some serious time on bigger boats, much of it as a licensed captain. Lots of people say they have a Masters, but leave out the actual ratings that it carries. It makes a big difference.
Well for an upgrade from 50ton to 100ton only requires 90 days on a vessel greater than fifty tons or 180 days on any vessel over five gt, with no further testing.So the seatime requirements for an upgrade aren't that bad.

Where they get confusing is for the 200ton Upgrade, which is actually more difficult in regards to seatime than the 500ton requirements.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 10:10   #45

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

1. How best to document your sea time?
2. For those who already have a captain license, how accurate was your documentation?
3. Can you retrospectively document your sea time?
4. Does anyone err on more than less sea time?
5. Did anyone go the jail becasue he made an mistake on counting his sea time?
6. It seems there are many chances for abuse?

Your thought?
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license