Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 14:53   #1

Fastrack Course?

I used to race a Hobie 18 with my father when I was a teenager. A few decades later, my interest in sailing is rekindled, and I have taken a local Basic Keelboat class (no ASA or USS certification). We live in Northern CA, and vacation time and money are somewhat limited.

My goal is to eventually be liveaboard cruising (South Pacific / Caribbean), but before taking that big step, I have a lot of renting/chartering to go. I'm especially interested in being able to bareboat charter something similar to what we hope to buy.

My question is for recommendations for courses to take. I've read a little about Rob Swain and Offshore schools. Would you recommend one over the other? Are there alternatives, besides taking the ASA classes separately?
Foozinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:56   #2

Re: Fastrack course?

I think that for you the "fastrack" type of course would work quite well. You already know how to sail. All you really need is a credential so that the charter companies will be more at-ease about handing over one of their boats to you (though, in all honesty, I think the only "credential" that most charter boat companies care about is your credit card).
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 19:25   #3

Check out nauticEd

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Keys Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 13:31   #4
Marine Service Provider

We can help you with this, you can read our reviews here Tortola Sailing School Reviews - Tortola, British Virgin Islands Attractions - TripAdvisor
TS2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 14:13   #5

Boat: Club Sailor; various

I would suggest taking ASA or USS classes for certification at the club/school you will most likely charter from in the Bay Area (or wherever is most convenient) afterwards.
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 14:23   #6

This comes up a lot.

The general consensus on input has been:

find out what the place you are chartering from in the islands requires

ask what the place you are chartering from locally recommends

All the rest from us is pretty much nice noise.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:58   #7

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36
Re: Fastrack Course?

I was,am getting ready to spend a lot of time in the caribean sailing on our 45 foot cat . for fun I thought i would look into an RYA course as they seem to be the international standard. I have been sailing for 50 years mostly on lake Ontario and have owned a larger sized 27 feet or bigger since 1984 . I am what most people would consider experienced .
I purchased an online course from NAVATHOME for coastal skipper. I received the very well thought out material ,including a fictional set of charts ,dividers and such . As sone as i looked at the study material I knew I was beat. So I down graded (purchased) the beginner level Day skipper course . All the theory was on line and could be done at your pace .They have very responsive help and all in all a great experience .
Last spring my wife and I went Grenada for our practical test which was basically a 5-7 charter with an Rya skipper who put us through our paces .I am now working toward my Coastal yachtmaster ticket . I now have a physical licence with my picture on it that is recognized world wide.
you can take the practical with any certified school in the world .We used blue water in Grenada on a 45 foot monohull .We had the the instructor to ourselves
.Rya also hasa competent crew course so the partner can get a certificate as well ,there is no theory for that .

good luck
David
PS it was not navathome,s fault that I bought the the wrong course .someone else gave me bad advise .they are not mentioned here.
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2014, 09:45   #8
Marine Service Provider

We run an ASA school in Grenada also - Admiral Slater took his RYA course from a friend of ours.

We often have experienced sailors take our courses and so far they have all said that even though they had previous sailing experience, they have found the formal courses to be very helpful. There is always more to learn and the more you know, the more confident you are going to be in your abilities.

Grenada is a beautiful place to sail - so combine your sailing course with a Caribbean sailing adventure! Let me know if you would like more information on our courses.
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2014, 11:14   #9

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

I met the folks at Ltd sailing this summer after I had taken a course in Grenada .They are very professional and a lot of fun. I was lucky enough to help with a short delivery with Chris this August .look up flying bowline on YouTube to see it .
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote