Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2016, 21:48   #1

Experiences with Fast track schools?

Hi guys, new to the forums here, and hope that you guys can share some insights and experiences with me.

I took RYA Competent Crew this past summer, and now I'm looking for fast track courses to preferably Yachtmaster Ocean. I am planning to buy a catamaran and live aboard for a while, and considering a possibility of getting a cruising instructor license and teaching in South East Asia.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Appreciate your input, thanks
dollarside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 21:52   #2

Re: Experiences with Fast track schools?

Thought I should give more info:

I'm looking to start asap, so I have time to sail after the 3-4 months of fast track.

I've read that South UK is good as I can learn a lot with the weather conditions in UK. Some schools people have suggested in the UK look very nice (UKSA, Hamble etc), but the problem is that I already missed this slot and I'll have to wait for February.

Some say South Africa is also a good place due to its extreme weather conditions (but I haven't been there before, so I wouldn't know). Sail Due South is an option, but I haven't found any reviews aside from the ones on their website/facebook page.

I thought Blue Oyster Sailing in Spain/Gibraltar was nice, but I've read a handful of negative reviews, so that's off my list. Do you guys have any experiences with schools in Europe?

PS.
I'm avoiding to take the course in South East Asia because my Competent Crew instructor says that learning it in SEA waters is a waste of time because there isn't much challenge, and at the end of the day, I'd want to be confident with my skills.
dollarside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 09:36   #3
Marine Service Provider

Re: Experiences with Fast track schools?

Hey. Try Portsmouth Marine Training. Based in Southsea Marina in the Solent. Great place to learn. They do all RYA courses in power and sail. Can highly recommend. Www.portsmouthmarinetraining.co.uk Also on Facebook.
Sailing74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, school