Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2014, 07:10   #1

Boat: Bavaria 38 Ocean Center Cockpit
Experienced boat owner seeks ASA instructor (Annapolis)

I need an ASA 104 certificate to bareboat for 1 week in Croatia next September.

I took and taught sailing with the U.S. Navy Sailing Association in the 1970's. Since then I have owned and raced boats from 14 to 38 feet, both onshore and offshore. I currently own a Bavaria 38 Ocean Center Cockpit in Annapolis.

I have taught navigation, and I have taught many of my own crew to sail; some of them now own and race their own boats. I do my own maintenance and have rebuilt the diesel engine from my previous boat in my own garage.

Now I need ASA 104 certification to bareboat in Croatia. I have never gotten any ASA certification so I need an instructor to administer the tests and to demonstrate that I exceed the requirements for #104.

I want to keep the costs and time down and I don't need a sailing school. We can use my boat and if we need to do an overnight demonstration I can assure you that you will eat well and sleep in comfort. (My wife and I are great cooks and love to show off!)

I will need proof that you are able to provide me with a legitimate certification and perhaps a referral or two.

ARGold57@gmail.com
argold57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:27   #2

Re: Experienced boat owner seeks ASA instructor (Annapolis)

The problem you will be facing is that you can't get a stand alone ASA 104 certification. You have to have ASA 101 and 103 certifications as well. Many schools teach all three in one course so no problem with receiving all at once.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:35   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Experienced boat owner seeks ASA instructor (Annapolis)

Contact ASA directly...

I think there's a path for 101/3/4 testing/cert without the entire classroom/boat curriculum.... There will be some on the water competency demonstrations to be sure... Plus the exams...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis, asa, enc