Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2015, 08:14   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Dutch flagged boat to the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahshore View Post
Hi. You bought a boat, have bill of sale, going to do some sailing then return to home port [wherever that is] . Go sailing, up the US coast, to where your wife is going to school, go on the hard for whatever time needed 3 month etc.

The POINT is do what you want and have to do in your schedule. You will probably never be asked about all the things or comments you are given on this forum.

Opinions are like an as.......... everyone has one in the US. Don't worry/be happy mon !!!!! s
Ahhhhh....!!!!

If only life wuz as simple as home mon...!!!

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 08:30   #17

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Dutch flagged boat to the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahshore View Post
Hi. You bought a boat, have bill of sale, going to do some sailing then return to home port [wherever that is] . Go sailing, up the US coast, to where your wife is going to school, go on the hard for whatever time needed 3 month etc.

The POINT is do what you want and have to do in your schedule. You will probably never be asked about all the things or comments you are given on this forum.

Opinions are like an as.......... everyone has one in the US. Don't worry/be happy mon !!!!!
You are not getting it. He hasn't bought the boat yet. When he does the boat will be deregistered by the Dutch. He has to flag it somewhere! Try sailing into the US on an unregistered unflagged foreign boat and let me know how that works out for you.
BTW I was in Seattle last month and I bought some there in a store because it was legal and I could. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 11-03-2015, 15:59   #18

Boat: Van de Stadt 44 #393 Aluminium
Re: Dutch flagged boat to the USA

I am going to Martinique next week to do a sail test on the boat and get it surveyed.

So far I haven't figured it out yet where to register it.

Switzerland is a possibility as my wife holds Swiss citizenship, I had just contacted their registration office and this would grant me a cruising license in the US.

Even if I do sail through Jamaica, it does not seems to be a good idea to have a boat without a registry. When I get to the US, sailing from the Caribbean, probably from the Bahamas, seems like most likely US Coast Guard would board me, so I don't see how could I not have it registered.

I would register it in the US and pay the import tax which is quite small in the US (compared to Brazil where it is between 60% and 100%), but I still don't have a residential address in the US.
gtpinhei is offline   Reply With Quote