Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2018, 15:09   #76
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Does anyone get the FCC license?

Actually? Those of us who are old enough to remember Ronald Reagan as a dead president rather than a B-movie star, may also remember that he pushed for cost reform in government agencies. That's why the USCG, the FCC, and others were ordered, mandated, to stop some services. That's why the USCG responds in emergencies now but tells you to call a tow company if you just ran out of gas. That's why digital charts were licensed and restricted to sale in the BCB (BHB?) format back then, a private partner was chosen to take all the costs.
And that's why the FCC has been mandated to set all license costs according to the cost of administering the program. That is, your FCC license should cost whatever it actually costs the FCC to deal with that program, plus perhaps a reasonable overhead.
Funny thing, but when that cost went from $75 for ten years (1980's) to $225? and then dropped mysteriously to $175?, the FCC has never gone on record with an explanation of the costs and fee structure. In fact, they have refused to comment or replay to questions asking for that information.
But if anyone wants to file a FOIA request, to which they would have to respond (but you'd have to pay for that)....it is possible the fee could be reduced back down to $75 again.
Maintenance of a database? Come on. The "ships" database can't cost $200 when the ham radio license data base costs nothing, and others cost...well, for a couple of grand I can keep a damned huge computer database on one laptop, complete with off-site backups. It just AIN'T that expensive these days.
That's just smoke being blown up something besides a dorade vent.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:52   #77

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
Of course what you said was true. I did believe you. And it is the reason that listening to a hundred random people tell you what they found interesting enough to talk about is not a good way of being sure you know everything.

A quick check of the cruising guides I use for the Caribbean shows every one has a section on radio licensing.

You already found the authoritative source that everybody else quotes, the FCC. You seemed to not believe them. Why believe random strangers on this forum?
I don't own any cruising guides.
Where did I say or imply I don't believe the FCC?
You didn't answer on what book would you recommend I read that will tell me if cruisers purchase the license or not. Cruising guides don't include that.

You seem to have some kind of bias that keeps you from reading what I actually wrote. I don't know what motives drive you, but I'd you're gonna respond to me again, do yourself a favor and understand what I asked first.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:58   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
This is sounding more and more like the OP's situation. It's very clear that he needs one to be legal if departing US waters but keeps arguing about it.
banghead
This is not the OP's situation at all. The OP asked if people get the license or not. The OP has not argued at all about it other than repeatedly trying to clear that up to people like yourself who refuse to hear it. Maybe banging your head some more will help you understand that?
Old 11-09-2018, 07:39   #79

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
This is not the OP's situation at all. The OP asked if people get the license or not. The OP has not argued at all about it other than repeatedly trying to clear that up to people like yourself who refuse to hear it. Maybe banging your head some more will help you understand that?
Direct answer. Most boaters who may go to or talk to a station in another country get one.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:29   #80

Boat: 1969 Rhodes 28'

In the old days, the FCC offered the restricted permit as minimal licensing.

By examination, higher class licenses were offered, such as the 2nd class, and first class radiotelephone licenses, along with certain specialty endorsements. Later, my 1st class was replaced by the "general radiotelephone" which has been the highest available.

So, I should not require the restricted for marine radio use, right?
TreblePlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:12   #81

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreblePlink View Post
In the old days, the FCC offered the restricted permit as minimal licensing.

By examination, higher class licenses were offered, such as the 2nd class, and first class radiotelephone licenses, along with certain specialty endorsements. Later, my 1st class was replaced by the "general radiotelephone" which has been the highest available.

So, I should not require the restricted for marine radio use, right?

Be sure they actually have it on file. I was issued a radiotelephone license in the early 1980s. Though they do not expire, it has disappeared from their database, so I paid for a new restricted permit.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:21   #82
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Usually when an FCC license disappears from the database, that means it has expired and someone failed to renew it. They are then required (by the ITU they claim) to permanently retire the numbers for that license. If it was a commercial license, those are subject to renewal. If it was a restricted (RR or RL) license, it is good for your lifetime and if you supplied the FCC with a copy of an older license database (commercially printed) or other material, they would be obligated to fix their problem. All depends on the specific license type, and "radiotelephone" is not what they call any of them anymore, as best I can find.
When dealing with a bureaucracy, the details count for everything.

As to what book would say if cruisers really got the mandatory license to use their radios abroad? Really?
Isn't gathering that information in the first place like walking up to the guys in front of the hardware store and asking "How many of you are illegal immigrants?" Or walking up to the folks leaving a bar and asking "How many of you are over the blood alcohol limit? How many are uninsured drivers?" One in ten drivers is unlicensed/uninsured in "good" places, one in four is unlicensed/uninsured in worse places, like SE Florida.
But you just try interviewing a crowd and see how many are willing to confess to breaking international laws and risking a ten thousand dollar fine, or loss of their vessel plus foreign jail time.
What book, indeed. Probably, Saint Peter's handy guide book at the pearly gates? Santa's book of who's naughty?
Old 11-09-2018, 10:52   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
As to what book would say if cruisers really got the mandatory license to use their radios abroad? Really?
Isn't gathering that information in the first place like walking up to the guys in front of the hardware store and asking "How many of you are illegal immigrants?" Or walking up to the folks leaving a bar and asking "How many of you are over the blood alcohol limit? How many are uninsured drivers?" One in ten drivers is unlicensed/uninsured in "good" places, one in four is unlicensed/uninsured in worse places, like SE Florida.
But you just try interviewing a crowd and see how many are willing to confess to breaking international laws and risking a ten thousand dollar fine, or loss of their vessel plus foreign jail time.
What book, indeed. Probably, Saint Peter's handy guide book at the pearly gates? Santa's book of who's naughty?
Another case of not reading what was written. The person I was talking to told me to read a book to obtain the answer to my OP.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:58   #84

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

My GROL was issued in 84, is permanent, and is still in the FCC ULS database as active as of today, and I have never renewed it.

Quote:
Usually when an FCC license disappears from the database, that means it has expired and someone failed to renew it. They are then required (by the ITU they claim) to permanently retire the numbers for that license. If it was a commercial license, those are subject to renewal. If it was a restricted (RR or RL) license, it is good for your lifetime and if you supplied the FCC with a copy of an older license database (commercially printed) or other material, they would be obligated to fix their problem. All depends on the specific license type, and "radiotelephone" is not what they call any of them anymore, as best I can find.
When dealing with a bureaucracy, the details count for everything.

cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:15   #85

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I've been thru a few checkpoints in various countries...never had to show my drivers license.

But even if you did, doesn't change the point...not being asked to show is still not the same as not being required.
Really? Youve been stopped by cops at a traffic check point while you were driving and never been asked for liscence, registration, and insurance? Where did that happen?

Ive been asked, along with many other drivers passing the same check point in: USA (many States), Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama...

Im not arguing that a station/operator liscence is not technically required as applicable, but wondering if anyone has even actually been asked to produce such.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:32   #86
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Madwand-
OK, I'll read what you just wrote: "The person I was talking to told me to read a book to obtain the answer to my OP." So, pick up a book, any book, and obtain the answer.
I'm saying the advice itself is ludicrous. If they had told you WHAT BOOK that answer might be in...it could still be ludicrous, since most folks would be unwilling to say "I break the law, I don't bother with licenses."
If you want a real answer, you'll have to find folks willing to admit they've been caught and fined. (Also unlikely.) Or, interview foreign enforcement personnel and perhaps try to find out if any of them have made a buck writing the tickets.
In the US this is a non-issue, as there are no "police" or other agencies that have the right to enforce FCC regulations. Except the FCC, which has a very small field enforcement staff and simply does not bother walking the docks to check boats.
In other countries...go figure for the top hundred coastal nations, who has the authority to check radio licenses in each nation. And which harbor official might pretend they do anyway, in the quest for mordida.
Other than topologists, and perhaps Vatican higher-ups, very few people find any use in trying to determine how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. Kinda the same thing here.
How many of us speed on the interstate? How many of us jaywalk in the city? Who really knows what percent of those get ticketed?
Old 11-09-2018, 12:59   #87

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Im not arguing that a station/operator liscence is not technically required as applicable, but wondering if anyone has even actually been asked to produce such.
Post #74
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 13:01   #88
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
pick up a book, any book, and obtain the answer.

I'm saying the advice itself is ludicrous
The main point, with which I fully agree, is that

restricting your sailing noob education to just following hundreds of YouTube channels,

is shall we say, sub-optimal.

Of course only reading books is so as well.

As is reading thousands of forums threads, but at least then you can ask questions, and get informed by eventually figuring out who knows their stuff from the ensuing debates.

But still no substitute for getting out on the water, and learning from fellow sailors F2F IRL.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 14:12   #89

Quote:
If you want a real answer, you'll have to find folks willing to admit they've been caught and fined. (Also unlikely.)
Why would it be unlikely that someone admit that? Nothing they say here would change that. But I didn't ask for people who were fined or caught anyway, I asked if people actually buy the license and got plenty of answers from both sides. I still don't get what your beef is with me asking this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
The main point, with which I fully agree, is that
restricting your sailing noob education to just following hundreds of YouTube channels, is shall we say, sub-optimal. Of course only reading books is so as well. As is reading thousands of forums threads, but at least then you can ask questions, and get informed by eventually figuring out who knows their stuff from the ensuing debates.

But still no substitute for getting out on the water, and learning from fellow sailors F2F IRL.
I watch YT while I wait to retire. It's entertainment, it's something to do while I kill the time. Somehow you've made it up in your head I've restricted all my sailing knowledge to this. But I do ask questions on forums, and you say you will allow me that (lucky me); I've been here since 2008, almost as long as you. I've been out on the water sailing since before then (I learned how by reading a book). So I asked a question of fellow sailors and now you've got your feelings hurt for some reason. Luckily, a bunch of other people answered what I asked and now I know the majority of people who replied here bought the stupid license, but never actually needed it. I still don't get what your beef is with me asking this.

Man, there is nothing like the regret of starting a thread where some people get their noses out of joint over some misconceived foolishness and not having the ability to close it.
Old 11-09-2018, 15:04   #90
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
............... Luckily, a bunch of other people answered what I asked and now I know the majority of people who replied here bought the stupid license, but never actually needed it.........................
I'm pretty sure most (all?) of those who bought the licence did need it.
What makes you think they didn't need it?

Quote:
...........Man, there is nothing like the regret of starting a thread where some people get their noses out of joint over some misconceived foolishness and not having the ability to close it.:face palm:
No need to close it, rather you could stop reading it if it is causing you to be upset
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license