Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2014, 09:31   #1

Boat: 1984 Hunter 36ft sloop
Documenting Time for certs...

I am at that point in my life where I am ready to start sailing/boating full time for leisure/pay. I am excited for this, but also know that the road can be lonely, long, scary and from what I hear form other Capts, "feast or famine."

i am fortunate enough (or unfortunate if you really think about it), to have a decent disability from the VA for getting jacked up in Afghanistan, that can support me and my family fully (we don't have any debt but a house). That being the case, I believe when my wife starts to work, I will be able to leave my career and start boating full time to earn my time.

Questions:

1. How do I document the time I have spent over the years for time rated toward certifications? I have been a boat owner for a few years and sailed most of my life, all starting when I was 13. How do I document this all? I don't have the info of those in the past I used to sail with and it's been 20 years.

2. What info is documented for the time I am officially recording? ie...time out time back/ wind speed/ weather/ crew/ actions underway??????

3. Anyone in San Diego have a paid position for me to be a hand on your boat for the summer to get more time and hours? Haaha

I have over 6 months documented on US Navy ships (I am a Marine) but nothing to do with ship operations, and therefore that will not count. I can count realistically backwards over 200 days, but do need more. Any advice help or info would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if you have no info to pass at all, but live between San Diego and Dana Point, and just wanna BBQ and sail, hit me up!!!! All info aside, I love sailing and I want to sail....

Cheers!
Old 05-06-2014, 10:15   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Documenting Time for certs...

If your purpose of documenting your time is to get a USCG liscence than it must be reported on USCG Sea Service forms signed by owner/owner's agent.

See link below for all the details and forms.

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:22   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Going through this right now myself and having some difficulties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubeJ View Post

Questions:

1. How do I document the time I have spent over the years for time rated toward certifications? I have been a boat owner for a few years and sailed most of my life, all starting when I was 13. How do I document this all? I don't have the info of those in the past I used to sail with and it's been 20 years.

You need to show that you owned the boat and self certify, or have the owner of the boat certify, and show they owned the boat. I had a bunch of time when I was a kid, 16 or over, and that did NOT count as I could not prove that my Dad owned the boat and he is dead, so he can't certify. They accepted all the time on my current boat, which I can show I own. I had to find a gentleman that I worked with to certify my time, still waiting on that acceptance.

2. What info is documented for the time I am officially recording? ie...time out time back/ wind speed/ weather/ crew/ actions underway??????

Just time per day, on average. 4 hours is one day, 12 hours is 1-1/2 days. If moored or anchored it does not count. If fishing it does, so throw a line over. As long as you are "under way" then you are good. I think any time over 16 years of age works for the OUPV.

3. Anyone in San Diego have a paid position for me to be a hand on your boat for the summer to get more time and hours? Haaha

I have over 6 months documented on US Navy ships (I am a Marine) but nothing to do with ship operations, and therefore that will not count. I can count realistically backwards over 200 days, but do need more. Any advice help or info would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure on this, but they apparently count it on some discounted basis.

Also, if you have no info to pass at all, but live between San Diego and Dana Point, and just wanna BBQ and sail, hit me up!!!! All info aside, I love sailing and I want to sail....

Cheers!
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:44   #4

Boat: 1984 Hunter 36ft sloop

Thank you, what I was looking for!

Tags
men