Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 20-03-2015, 16:07   #31
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Do skippers really want crew? Doesn't seem so...

drilling crew, are we talking oil rigs?
Old 20-03-2015, 16:43   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
I stand by what was said to me by the crew visiting my boat. I stand by the statement that the crew was being drilled on Saturday night - maybe 10pm not 11, because the sun doesn't set until 9:30.

I stand by my post. Sorry you didn't hear what I was trying to say.
But I did hear what you did say!

Our ships are not for profit, http://portal.sao.wa.gov/ReportSearc...false&sp=false and we are not a bunch of wide-eyed children, pressed into service against our will. I'm a volunteer, as is most of the crew, and have been coming back willingly for over ten years. We put in long hours of hard work, sometimes around the clock. But not in Blaine. There we were stood down after dinner, as happens in most ports that we visit. We could possibly have been going over the ropes on our own time, but we do things like that because we love boats.

I could have been one of those who complemented your ketch 'Raincoast'. I like boats too! But jumping ship to get away from a merciless captain,.. well, you just don't know us or our officers!

BTW, for anyone looking to actually crew a real tallship, details are on the website Grays Harbor Historical Seaport Authority. You WILL get messy, and confused, and tired, and maybe really sick, and do a lot of things you never wanted to do. But if you do run away screaming, it will NOT be because you're looking for another boat to sail on!
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 19:35   #33

Boat: Island Packet 31'

Maybe you would think about teaming up with a sailing partner that wants to get a solid boat and pretty much sail all the time...like me.
red_marine_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 20:59   #34

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Like many things in life, finding a good berth is all about being in the right place at the right time.

Best of luck.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 21-03-2015, 00:38   #35

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Ignoring the outrageously sexist comments by some. This may be geography. I have been advertising for crew and seen a number of people from Europe, particularly east Europe. While they seem qualified I don't recognize any of the qualifications and they would be coming across the Atlantic to join the boat, all adds to the worry.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 07:25   #36

Boat: Camper & Nicholson 48' Ketch

Filipe,
If you are interested in going sailing with a couple of "old salts" contact us at serannity@yahoo.com.
We leave for the Caribbean from England via Morocco and/or Canaries around 10 May and would be happy to take on a third mate.
Send us your particulars if it interests you.
Cheers, Ann and Lew
serannity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 06:19   #37

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I came across a local sailing club that was looking for people with boats to take new people out sailing. I checked into it as I like company, so they sent me a 6 page checklist form that included that there was a requirement for me to be evaluated on 2 sails by other club members.

I passed on that chance to take newbies out sailing on my boat.
I've heard a long list of horror stories from clubs like this where they take in a new skipper, only to find out that they are unsafe, inept, or basically looking at the club as a dating pool. So it sounds like the club you mention is just trying to make sure it's members have a safe and pleasant experience.

I think if you decline to join a club for the reason you mention it says more about you than it does about the club.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 06:29   #38
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I've heard a long list of horror stories from clubs like this where they take in a new skipper, only to find out that they are unsafe, inept, or basically looking at the club as a dating pool. So it sounds like the club you mention is just trying to make sure it's members have a safe and pleasant experience.

I think if you decline to join a club for the reason you mention it says more about you than it does about the club.
And of course some people join a club like that because they want to go on a free sail.

Not sure if I'm being trashed or not. All I said was I like to have company sailing and was willing to take people out with me. If they were worried I was a weirdo they could have just asked to meet me. And how would I know the people coming onto to my boat weren't weirdos in turn?

The point being it has become just a lot less trouble to just sail alone.
Old 22-03-2015, 07:29   #39

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
And of course some people join a club like that because they want to go on a free sail.

Not sure if I'm being trashed or not. All I said was I like to have company sailing and was willing to take people out with me. If they were worried I was a weirdo they could have just asked to meet me. And how would I know the people coming onto to my boat weren't weirdos in turn?

The point being it has become just a lot less trouble to just sail alone.
Sure seemed like you were being trashed. I think you are correct, "yacht clubs" tend to have a lot of folks with Little Man's Syndrome. Everyone believes they have the answer, and need to dictate to others(read "control"). The majority of yachties sit on their boats at the dock drinking cocktails, not sailing. I don't need that ilk evaluating me either...Ask about their motivation for screening, the answer I'm sure has to do with "protection from litigation". You can't be a nice guy, "they" won't let you! Lmao
Mystktravler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 07:43   #40

It's tough getting skippers and crew together! I've only had one good contact in a couple of years here on Cruisers, and I'm based in Southern California which has millions of boats. I know the skippers are out there, but guess they need more reassurance then just a posting can convey.

On the other hand, we've been looking for crew for one of the tallships that I sail, and posted here a while ago. Can you guess how many Southern Californians answered to do the work, and take the training to sail this sweetie?

ZERO!

We must be doing something wrong!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brig-Pilgrim.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	422.4 KB
ID:	99156  
Old 22-03-2015, 08:06   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Wow, lots of accusations going broadside on this one. I have run into the tall ships mentioned above. Crew seemed happy, or at least resigned to the task involved. Back to the topic of crewing on cruising boats.
I have a windvane which we use. Only have to steer when motoring (which can be a lot during the summer) So I will take crew when passagemaking.
Captain that I know do like honest crew. No they don't have to be young and the opposite sex. Some of the best crew I have had were retired or older. Because of the risks with new crew, I only take one or two now to complement my already experienced crew. I need (and look for)
1. Common sense (to see changing conditions and ask for help early)
2. Gutts (the ability to stand watch for a few hours in cold rain)
3. The ability to adapt (can change from clear to stormy without freaking out)
Looking for crew now. One passage (along the outside of Vancouver Island) will be an adventure many pay for. All I ask is the above, and some seamanship skills.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 09:06   #42
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Do skippers really want crew? Doesn't seem so...

The advantage of a Tall Ship is there's lotsa different characters to bounce off.. and places you can grab some private time..
On a small boat those luxuries don't exist.. your with usually a couple or a skipper and one crew he knows.. if there's a chemistry clash then there's a problem.. have had it a couple of times.. but to discover 3 days out one has landed an a$$hole of mega proportions for a crossing is to late and the atmosphere is hell..
A member of CF posted a blackmail attempt on her by her delivery skipper and crew.. not fun for a newbie owner..
Thats why I say.. if your serious.. how much is 1/2 every coupla days to contribute your thoughts and opinions.. if you cannot be bothered to get to know us..
Why should we bother with getting to know you.. I know solo sailors who tried crew.. now they have a dog instead..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 09:34   #43

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryon View Post
It's tough getting skippers and crew together! I've only had one good contact in a couple of years here on Cruisers, and I'm based in Southern California which has millions of boats. I know the skippers are out there, but guess they need more reassurance then just a posting can convey.

On the other hand, we've been looking for crew for one of the tallships that I sail, and posted here a while ago. Can you guess how many Southern Californians answered to do the work, and take the training to sail this sweetie?

ZERO!

We must be doing something wrong!
Say what?!!! I don't remember that one. Where in So. Cal.?
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 09:54   #44

Boat: Skookum 53'

Something that I come to is: When it is time to cast off the lines and go for a cruise or trip you have all kinds of volunteers to help, but they are never around when it is time to clean the bilge or help get the boat ready to go. The last crew I took to cross the gulf of Alaska, as soon as we cleared Cape Edgcoumbe, he hit the bunk sea sick and I ended up making the crossing single handed, so if it is all the same to everyone, I'll just single hand and save myself listening to someone retching for 4 days and me worrying about another person getting dehydrated from puking. I am quite picky when selecting crew for a run and if you don't make the cut it is not a personal insult, I'll just pass. If you are really interested in running with me, come on down to the boat I am right in the middle of an engine swap and could use some help swabbing the bilges.
Old 22-03-2015, 11:05   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrog75 View Post
Say what?!!! I don't remember that one. Where in So. Cal.?
That would be Dana Point. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ip-121081.html Come on down!

Tags
crew, skipper