Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2019, 11:54   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose
Croatian license requirements

Planning to sail a US-flagged, VAT paid to The Netherlands, Post-Construction Assessment surveyed rated RCD "A" sailboat to Croatia and I understand that Croatia has very strict sailing regulations and requirements.

I am a US citizen. Does my ICC have to be US issued or can I take the ICC exam from the UK/RYA?

I would like to contact the correct Croatian authority to clarify this.

Can anyone direct me?

George DuBose
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 12:06   #2

Re: Croatian license requirements

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
Planning to sail a US-flagged, VAT paid to The Netherlands, Post-Construction Assessment surveyed rated RCD "A" sailboat to Croatia and I understand that Croatia has very strict sailing regulations and requirements.

I am a US citizen. Does my ICC have to be US issued or can I take the ICC exam from the UK/RYA?

Can anyone direct me?

George DuBose
I don't think USA can issue ICC: they have not signed Charter 40 (or whatever official name is). But you can get similar document from ASA if you took their courses up to 104. However I think requrement for ICC only concerns charter boats. I don't beleive you need a licence to sail your own boat in Croatia.
alex_sauvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 12:28   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_sauvage View Post
I don't think USA can issue ICC: they have not signed Charter 40 (or whatever official name is). But you can get similar document from ASA if you took their courses up to 104. However I think requrement for ICC only concerns charter boats. I don't beleive you need a licence to sail your own boat in Croatia.
I got an ICC certificate here in Annapolis after conducting a test with Mark Thompson (yachtingeducation.com) which I successfully used in Croatia this past summer.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 13:01   #4

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.

ICC can only be delivered by a IYT affilliated sailing school.
Once you have it your good to go.
Google International Yacht Training.
You can find a school near you.
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 13:09   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
I got an ICC certificate here in Annapolis after conducting a test with Mark Thompson (yachtingeducation.com) which I successfully used in Croatia this past summer.
But was it issued by any USA based organization ,like ASA or by RYA? I beleive RYA is one of a few European organization that can issue ICC to citizens/residents of other countries. I know RYA run courses in Caribean and I believe in Canada as well, so there no reason why they cannot do it in Annapolis. The whole ICC issue is rather complicated : there was a long discusion on this forum about a year or two ago. But back to OP original question: I don't think he needs a license to sail his own boat in Croatia.
P.S. I checked the link and YachtingEducation is indeed RYA course
Old 30-10-2019, 13:17   #6

Quote:
But was it issued by any USA based organization ,like ASA or by RYA? I beleive RYA is one of a few European organization that can issue ICC to citizens/residents of other countries. I know RYA run courses in Caribean and I believe in Canada as well, so there no reason why they cannot do it in Annapolis. The whole ICC issue is rather complicated : there was a long discusion on this forum about a year or two ago. But back to OP original question: I don't think he needs a license to sail his own boat in Croatia.
P.S. I checked the link and YachtingEducation is indeed RYA course
Just to double verify, yes, it's RYA.

There's also the radio license thing with Croatia that I'm not sure applies to private owners, but since it takes only a few minutes to apply for on the FCC website (for Americans) you might as well do it. It's an operators license, separate from the station license you might already have in order to get your MMSI number.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 15:20   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post

Can anyone direct me?

George DuBose

Hy!
Ministry of the Sea, Transport and Infrastructure

(https://mmpi.gov.hr/en , info@mmpi.hr),

The Croatian driver's license is called "Boat Skipper B". There's only one theory exam. This takes about 20 minutes and is very simple. It also includes the radio certificate. The exams are held by the harbour captains. More on request.
https://sailing.czaak.at/aktuelles/h...-kroatien.html

Regards Rudi

https://sailing.czaak.at
Canderes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 16:43   #8

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canderes View Post
Hy!
Ministry of the Sea, Transport and Infrastructure

The Croatian driver's license is called "Boat Skipper B". There's only one theory exam. This takes about 20 minutes and is very simple. It also includes the radio certificate. The exams are held by the harbour captains. More on request.
Regards Rudi

https://sailing.czaak.at
My wife and I obtained those Croatian "Boat Leader's License of Competency" back in 1998. Easy exam, mostly verbal. All in English or German - was up to us during individual testing.

Been 20 years and things might have changed, but back then it was simple questions about give way vs stand on vessels. They had this litte boat already drawn on a sea chart, and using plastic triangles you have to demo how to decide the boat's course. You needed to know Italian numbers because apparently (back then) the Italians were running sea rescues.

Nice thing about those documents is ours came laminated and have no expiration date. I still use mine as a "Government Issued Official Photo ID".

(It's fun watching harbor officials do a brain lock - you know, obvious change in outward appearance but the darn Boat License remains valid! What to do, what to do?)
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 10:01   #9

For a charter boat in Croatia, a license is required. Ministry has list. For USA, they accept NauticEd SLC, ASA/USS IPC. The ICC can also be obtained by Americans (despite USA not having signed Res 40) through a RYA School. There are about 2-3 in Canada and only Mark Thompson in the USA (he has moved from Annapolis to Florida).
Imkalaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 11:37   #10

Quote:
However I think requrement for ICC only concerns charter boats. I don't beleive you need a licence to sail your own boat in Croatia.
Quote:
But back to OP original question: I don't think he needs a license to sail his own boat in Croatia.
I am not familiar with USA regulations, so I'll just give you this advice: if USA does not require you to have any boating licence for your boat, then Croatian rules apply. Which means you must have a licence, which one- depends on size of your boat.
There is a thread here about newest "requirements"
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ia-220438.html
admikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 06:40   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by admikar View Post
I am not familiar with USA regulations, so I'll just give you this advice: if USA does not require you to have any boating licence for your boat, then Croatian rules apply. Which means you must have a licence, which one- depends on size of your boat.
There is a thread here about newest "requirements"
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ia-220438.html
Actually it is not true: a lot of states in USA require you to have a license to drive boats with an engine including sailboats. Licensing in NA is generally done on state/province level: there no such thing as USA driving license for example: they all issued by specific state and still valid all over the world. Croatian regulations are related to operating boats under Croatian flag: it says so right on the top of the document. And it includes obviously charter boats. Visiting Croatia with you own boat is quite different.
Old 18-11-2019, 10:10   #12

Quote:
Actually it is not true: a lot of states in USA require you to have a license to drive boats with an engine including sailboats. Licensing in NA is generally done on state/province level: there no such thing as USA driving license for example: they all issued by specific state and still valid all over the world. Croatian regulations are related to operating boats under Croatian flag: it says so right on the top of the document. And it includes obviously charter boats. Visiting Croatia with you own boat is quite different.
Like I said, I do not know if boat licence is required in USA, I have never stated either way.
As for Croatian regulations, this is what I have found....to be honest can not be bothered to sift through maritime law right now....page 3, first sentence in paragraph 3. Although second sentence mentions Croatian flagged vessel, I wouldn't risk it. If you have boating licence, you're OK. If you don't have it, obtain one.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf hr_informacije_za_nauticare_0.pdf (133.7 KB, 44 views)
Old 18-11-2019, 10:40   #13

Had nothing better to do, so checked website of Croatian traffic ministry.....
https://mmpi.gov.hr/UserDocsImages/a...1_27032017.pdf
Section 3:
Vessel is allowed to operate in Croatian waters if vessel and captain fulfills regulations of state of flag it carries.
If under aforementioned regulations there are no rules about captain's licencing, captain must have licence as if vessel is under Croatian flag.
Old 21-02-2020, 09:22   #14

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

I have an OUPV captains license. Can I get a reciprocal ICC license somehow or will the US license work for chartering in Europe?
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2020, 16:49   #15

Only licenses on the Croatian ministry list work. Not OUPV. ICC, IPC, or SLC for Americans.
Imkalaur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Croatia, license, men