Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 16:56   #1

Corpus Sailing Conundrum

I recently returned from a week charter sail in the BVIs with the itch to get into sailing. I know the basics and have sailed a few times but I want to really learn to sail well and gain experience and confidence. I live and work in Austin and also have a beach house about 8 miles down the beach from Port A, so naturally I began my search there. It seems like CC bay is great, the wind is always blowing, and the access to the gulf is really convenient. I am looking for a great sailing school that offers lots of opportunities to sail. Things like fractional ownership programs, sailing clubs, access to lasers/sunfish, organized offshore sails/floatillas, weekend cruises, participation in Harvest Moon, facilitating crewing opportunities and "mentor sails", etc. Basically a school/program that offers a lot of opportunities to get experience after the classes. I have found multiple programs like this around Kemah and Clearlake but absolutely nothing in or around Corpus. I found some sailing classes in Corpus but lessons seems to be the extent of it. I see that Sailtime says they are planning a base in Corpus at some point but they won't return my calls for information. If there was such an opportunity in CC I would sign up immediately. I really would prefer to get going in the Corpus area but it looks like I may have to start making trips to Kemah instead. This leaves me wondering how many others there are like me and why a better sailing ecosystem doesn't exist in Corpus given all the positives it would have to support it including proximity to San Antonio and Austin people who are looking to spend money supporting a great sailing school/program.....even the practically dry Lake Travis in Austin has what looks to be a superior sailing school and sailing club than what I am finding in Corpus. Does anyone know of something I am missing or another way to go about getting the experience I am looking for? Appreciate it!
UTMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 19:06   #2

Boat: Lord Nelson 41' Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailtexas
I've a boat in Matagorda, it's closer to you than Kemah and a nice underdeveloped place. I'm happy to have you come down and swab my decks and we can talk about going sailing. : D Seriously pm me and we can talk if you like. Oh, and welcome to CF. Cheers

Dan
s/v Orion
Sailtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 20:09   #3

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Re: Corpus Sailing Conundrum

Austin has great sailing on lake Travis, though the water is way down. Be sure to visit the CC yacht club, the folks there are really friendly. Also, the SSCA is very active, they meet the last Sunday(?) of each month in Kemah and in CC.
I'm a bit out of the loop, been healing from a big illness, but I know you can find sailing in Austin and the coast.
Feel free to write the commodores for Texas SSCA and the CC Yacht club.

Corpus Christi Yacht Club www.ccyc.com | ccyc.com

The Seven Seas Cruising Association - IX - Home

Austin Yacht Club

Plus there is a guy looking for partnership on a Beneteau.
For Sale or Looking for partner in Beneteau Oceanus 350 sailboat
Beneteau Fractional - Fractional ownership - timeshare sailboat

Cheers,
Erika
Old 09-04-2013, 20:29   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

You will have a difficult time finding exactly what you are looking for, in CC.

However, I'd also suggest you go by Bay Yacht Club. They are a bit more affordable, and they have many sailors who sail. Some so have fractional boats/shared boats, but most own theirs. There are races every Wednesday night, and you can usually find a spot on a boat, if you want. There are races a couple of weekends a month - and again, good crew is always welcome.

CC 1) has no idea what it "has" and 2) really isn't interested in finding out. The establishment is very happy with how Corpus Christi is doing
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 20:41   #5

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Corpus has a severely under-developed infrastructure for sailors, despite having some great sailing conditions. Rockport and Padre also have clubs.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:29   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, UTMBA.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:06   #7

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

In Austin, a more laid back group is the Austin Sailing Society,
Austin Sailing Society (Austin, TX) - Meetup
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:41   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
Corpus has a severely under-developed infrastructure for sailors, despite having some great sailing conditions. Rockport and Padre also have clubs.
While I'm often "out front" in calling Corpus Christi out, having 2 very active sailing clubs, pretty great sailing conditions, a bay conducive to just about any sailboats made, decent cruising destinations, great weather (it blows all of the time, so even when it's hot, there is a cooling breeze). A LOT to be happy about.

There are 3 decent yards nearby (one at South Shore, 2 near Rockport), plus the City Marina yard that is very competitive. 2 of the yards will let you work on your own boat - that is rare today. There are good restaurants within walking distance.

HOWEVER, the lack of nearby supplies does stink. West Marine is about 15 minutes away. And the store is small. There are no grocery or home center stores within walking distance. This does stink.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 15:08   #9

Thanks Dan I will pm you and I think I can probably swab with the best of them! Erika thanks for the links, I will follow up on the beneteau. Thanks Bill, I have heard good things about BYC and I will visit when I am back down. Also Chris from Learn to Sail Texas in Corpus Christi, Sailing Lessons, Classes and Sailboat Delivery contacted me with news that they will soon have a boat available for student charter and maybe another late summer. Appreciate the responses, this helps with some ideas for staying in the area. Also got me thinking that someone should start a fractional sailing/charter company tied together with a school and active community sailing programs. The new Schliterbahn is supposed to attract a few hundred thousand additional visitors yearly and just about all my neighbors now own beach houses in Port A and want a fractional sailing option rather than purchasing. I'd be in....just sayin ;-). Thanks all. Happy sailing!
Old 10-04-2013, 19:45   #10

Thanks all for the suggestions and links. I also got a note from Chris at Learn to Sail Texas in Corpus Christi, Sailing Lessons, Classes and Sailboat Delivery who said they will have a boat for student charters pretty soon and possibly another one late summer. Maybe someone will open a base in CC soon that has all the great benefits. Seems like the opportunity is there....new Schlitterbahn coming online in Padre which will bring many new visitors, poor lake conditions in Austin and south, and it seems like about half of my neighbors have bought beach homes in cinnamon shores in Port A within the last two years and many want a fractional sailing program close by. I am going to check out Bay Yacht Club next time I am down and maybe just take some lessons and see if I can swab the decks of s/v Orion. Cheers!

Tags
sailing, texas