Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 22:57   #1

Confusion over courses required for motor cruising

I am looking at the option of getting my husband qualified to RYA day skipper level, for motor cruisers, as a gift for his Birthday. He has no experience at present.

After doing some initial research I can see that there are lots of variants for different vessels and I am finding it quite confusing. Please could you tell me what are the courses that he MUST take to meet this level and what courses are RECOMMENDED in addition to these? What are the time frames and logistical options for each of these (i.e. over X number of days, eLearning etc)?

Finally, do you think that it is possible to do these courses abroad as part of a holiday? I'm thinking possibly the Mediterranean as this is probably where we would eventually charter a boat once he is qualified over the coming years (until we inevitably get a boat!).

Thank you in advance for your help!
Emason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 00:46   #2

Re: Confusion over courses required for motor cruising

I hace a good friend thats does alot of teaching his web site is www.serioussailing.com you could ask him his name is john roberts
Old 08-03-2013, 01:39   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Hi The RYA Day Skipper ( motor cruiser) is the one you want , its a very good course 4-5 days on water training and exam, it gives a very good grounding, and covers a lot of ground.

There is no pre-requisites for this course, but one should be reasonably competent in driving the boat and able to read charts etc.

Yes it is possible to do it abroad, though most schools do the Sail variant. The RYA website lists the schools, remember to inquire if the Day Skipper ( Motor Cruiser) option is offered.

Dave
Old 10-03-2013, 11:12   #4

You will need to take the day skipper theory course first or at least show sufficient knowledge of the theory to pass the DS exam in a week otherwise you will be wasting your money, I can help you get organised with a combined theory and practical course in the Mediterranean if you wish to take that route, PM me for details.
budgie44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:00   #5

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

I suggest that you follow the requirements of the "six-pack captain's license" outlined by the US Coast Guard. It's a long list of requirements that can be used as a "knowledge base" for a future sailor, who might be contemplating on being a captain on a boat for hire. Do the recommended list, at your own leisure; shop around for hands-on classes to get the most experience. Good luck! Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, motor