Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2014, 00:03   #1

Confusing question

Dear all, I have a question that is to find a boat speed.

Boat position is 4 cables south away from object A. Steering course is 040°C. The boat takes another object B with "a correspond" (direct translate from my language) bearing at 215° (did not mark °C or °T) in 15 mins. (Object B is 2 NM away from object A taking the bearing at 035°).

I did the exercise but not success. It seems not possible to take the bearing 215° to the object B. Anyone can have an advice?

BTW, the question is asking boat speed. Should I have to calculate the °C to °T for the chart work?

Thx all

Sent from my MI 2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
ftkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 10:44   #2

Re: Confusing question

You have an initial boat position with a distance and bearing from A. B is 2 miles from A, in a direction close to your heading. After 15 minutes it is almost behind you so you have moved roughly 2 + 2 miles in 15 minutes more or less 16 mph. To do it graphically you plot A and the initial position and draw the course line. Then plot B and draw the line from that giving the second bearing from the boat. Where that line intercepts the boat's course is the second position. The length of the course line between the two bearings is the distance traveled. The time is 15 minutes so the speed is 4m x distance.
chris_gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 20:58   #3

Re: Confusing question

I think this might a running fix.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote