Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2007, 22:46   #1

Boat: 38' Homebuilt Cutter - "Atticus"
Colgate Sailing School

I just got my info today on the Colgate Offshore Sailing School. I was thinking about taking their "Fast Track to Crusing". I was wondering if anyone else here has done that, and has any feedback. Private Message is ok if you dont want to publicly post.

Would also appreciate any tips on other schools with similar programs that are respected.

Thanks in advance. - Michael
Colorado Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2007, 01:23   #2

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
Go to a school. Any. It is up to you to make the best of it. However, you will need water time/miles to become really good.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2007, 17:52   #3
elf

Boat: Catalina 30
My husband and I did the Basic Keelboat class through Offshore Sailing, and a few other students were doing Fast Track to Cruising at the same time (on a larger boat). They are a first class operation - I would highly recommend the school. We learned a great deal, the instructors were highly professional, and we left with nothing but good feelings about our experience in Ft. Myers Beach.

They are expensive, but you get what you pay for. Good luck!

elf
elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:23   #4

Boat: Hughes Columbia 8.7
I was considering taking the same course (Fast Track to Cruising).How Much does it cost?..

My Captain....er wife wants to go to.
S Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 14:32   #5

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
I went to the Maryland School of Sailing for some of the courses and Annapolis Sailing School for others. They were both really good. You can do combo courses that will get you through the bareboat cert pretty quickly. They run them in Florida and the Caribbean in the winter
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 14:59   #6

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Excellant Programs

The Colgate School has excellant programs. We have been acquainted with Steven and Doris since they opened their first "Offshore", Offshore program, in Tortola back in the mid 70's, based at a hotel then owned by friends of ours (they let us use one of their Soling's to sail around the BVI!). There is a very good program at South Sea Plantation on the West Coast of Florida. We have met some of the young instructors and were impressed. You'll like it!

Cheers,

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 15:03   #7

I took the Learn to sail course in 84 in City Island and found it excellent. No complaints. First class.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 16:22   #8

Boat: Tartan 30- Immrama
Bluewater Sailing in Fort Lauderdale is first rate as well. About 9 years ago my wife and I did a five day course that took down to the top of the Keys and back. We stayed on board the boat (Beneteau 463, I think) so had a very valuable experience and my introduction to bigger boats. I felt very confident when I got to Tortola that summer for my first bareboat charter, both sailing and boat systems. So really recommend a stay aboard class. Figuring out water system problems has more urgency when you know you won't be going back tto the hotel for a shower that evening.
on land- Nashville, TN
fastfilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 16:54   #9
elf

Boat: Catalina 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Campbell View Post
I was considering taking the same course (Fast Track to Cruising).How Much does it cost?..
Depends completely on the school. Exotic locations (for example, the BVI) cost more than stateside. Taking it on a catamaran is more than on a monohull. Taking a private couples class is more $ than taking it with other classmates. Check out the websites of the school(s) you are interested in - many post costs online.

Good luck and enjoy!
elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 13:40   #10

Boat: Hughes Columbia 8.7
Wow, I put in an e-mail request & that same day (night) I got a call at home. Very friendly knowledgeable person on the other end (of the phone) too !.
Very Impressed. My wife says that will definately be the Next Vacation. Yippie......I'm stoked!...
Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone.
Old 29-06-2009, 08:41   #11

Boat: Leopard 40
We have just committed to the COAST program. The first segment is the Fast Track to Cruising, or what I call 0-60. The second is Fast Track to Costal Navagation which we will take next Spring. We are going to try to, if money and time allows, charter a boat so that we can practice between the first course and the second.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 19:11   #12

We just finished the Colgate School's Fast Track to Cruising. I would highly recommend it. You will be pushed, pulled and exhausted. But after 10 days I, who cannot back a minivan up, can stern dock a 43' catamaran. We passed with good grades the first three US sailing qualification courses and felt very confortable sailing without our instructor on the last two days.

Maje
Old 16-08-2009, 12:18   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Maje View Post
We just finished the Colgate School's Fast Track to Cruising. I would highly recommend it...
At which location did you take your Fast Track to Cruising course?
Captiva Island, Ft. Myers Beach, The Keys, St. Petersburg, British Virgin Islands, Spanish Virgin Islands, Chelsea Piers NYC, or Jersey City, New Jersey.

Are there differing prices for the same course, at differing locations?

Colgate / Offshore ➥ Sailing Schools, Catamaran Sailing Schools, Sailing Vacations, Sailing Lessons

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2009, 09:07   #14

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
I (and others) would recommend that couples who attend sailing schools be split up (different boats, or different times), so each person gains the self-confidence that comes with dealing with the various situations by themselves instead of deferring to the dominant partner.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2009, 09:15   #15

[quote=GordMay;318153]At which location did you take your Fast Track to Cruising course?

Are there differing prices for the same course, at differing locations?

We took it in Tortola, BVI. The prices very by location, time of year and the type of boat you want for the crusing portion of the course. The boat charter cost and hotel (the first four nights) were the major cost. We committed to the entire COAST program which includes the 10 day Fast Track to Costal Navigation which is a savings over booking both Fast Track Courses separately.

Maje

Tags
sailing school