Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2014, 09:23   #1

Boat: Hylas 54
Chapman School of Seamanship Training

I a rusty sailor needing a (re) education to start building experience towards a bluewater cruise. I was considering the Mariners course at Chapman School of Seamanship in Stuart, Florida. A nine week full time course covering Rules of the road (14 hrs), seamanship and boating safety (30hrs), marlinspike seamanship (14 hrs), weather (16 hrs), boat handling (60hrs), navigation (74hrs), boat and engine maintenance (76hrs).

Any thoughts and experiences with this course? Was it worth the approx $5500 and 9 weeks of full time study? Are there alternatives that you know of?

Thanks.
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 18:29   #2

Re: Chapman School of Seamanship Training

1998 was the year we did the 2 week course at Chapmans. Rules of the road, navigation,weather,electronics, maintance(RW and Closed circuit systems), holding tanks , fuel tanks, water tanks) ect. My wife and I found the 2 week course to be very informative. Being landlubbers from OHIO we needed all the help we could get. Having just purchased a 49 DeFever. I already had a Mechanical background and trouble shooting electrical problems was not a problem. But the overview of the boating systems helped. If your mechanical or electrical background is weak I would highly suggest further study. There is no berm to pull onto (aka your car) when the crap hits the fan. It is up to you to be self sufficient. Best of luck and see you on the waterway.
Old 19-12-2014, 08:20   #3
Marine Service Provider

Re: Chapman School of Seamanship Training

The Chapman School of Seamanship program is great - but if you would like to start off with a liter sailing refresher, Check out our seven or ten day Cruise and Learn sailing adventures in the Caribbean!

Beam winds,

Chris
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
school