Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2015, 19:44   #1

Certification requirements

What certification requirements do I need to purchase a trawler in the US and cruise? Any?

I search and found a lot of info, but not requirements. Are there advantages insurance wise to being certified for recreational cruising? I have no intention of doing so commercially.

I have experience - I have sailed Hobies, sloops and ketches before. The latter two in scary weather. I've reefed a main in a gale and would prefer not to again. I have respect for the sea - just have no cert. I WOULD be a newbie to a trawler. Time is on my side as I am land locked for a few years, but if I can do some certification now that will help later, I could do so.

I anticipate initially Caribbean cruising and possibly further. 50' +/- trawler , with active stabilizers, among other options. Hope I've given enough info.

What would you do?

TIA
jb cruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:33   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Certification requirements

Passing a boating safety course will give you a discount on boat insurance and will increase your water safety skills. Boat safety courses are an excellent investment of time and money, regardless of your state's boating law. Each state has unique boating education requirements, and the boating rules, laws and regulations vary from state to state for obtaining a boat license or safety certification. Be sure to review the full legal requirements for your particular state.
tates with mandatory boating law require safety certification for some or all boaters. Only one state (Alabama) requires an actual boat license. However, many prospective students are not aware of state legal terminology, and search for information about a boat license or licence, or a captain or captains license.
This page is an excellent resource for boating law for all fifty states.
Boating Laws and boating license requirements by state

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:39   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 33
Re: Certification requirements

To cruise in Maryland, which is a lot of the Chesapeake Bay, you need to have a boating safety class if you were born in 1972 or later. The classes can be taken online for free through Boat U.S. so no reason not to do them and then you would have it covered.

Tags
certification, men