Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2019, 12:28   #1

Catamaran Captain for training

This should be interesting:
We are in the process of purchasing a Lagoon 440 in North Florida. It’s possible the seller might hang around a couple of days to help us with getting to know the boat and systems.
We need to learn how to sail it. I know we’re crazy😝. We hope to find a knowledgeable captain certified in catamarans to come aboard for 2-3 days or however long it takes to teach us. If all goes well with the sale this should happen around the last week of January.

Any interest? Please PM. Thanks,
swpalmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 13:06   #2

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Re: Catamaran Captain for training

Can you get the seller to include his training in the deal? It's a pretty common practice.
If not, perhaps the seller's or your broker would do that as part of the deal. Sailing a cat isn't much different than a mono, once you get used to the nuances of boat handling, behavior and controls.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 13:27   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Catamaran Captain for training

The hardest bit of handling a cat is learning how easy they are to park in tight spots with 2 engines.. and how difficult with just one..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 19:32   #4

If it were me. I would ither book a sailing course on a catamaran or hire an instructor.
Having the owner or broker give you a run through might be helpful.

When I bought my boat. I attended the survey along with the surveyor. Who was very happy to answer my questions. I learned a lot about my new boat this way.

The seller was a nice guy but I was doing a business deal with him. I preferred to keep negotiations separate.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:04   #5

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

pm sent
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 15:09   #6

Boat: 2006 Leopard 40 sailing catamaran

PM sent
gohawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 15:09   #7

Boat: 2006 Leopard 40 sailing catamaran

I would be glad to teach you how to handle the boat. $45/hr, $450/day plus expenses
www.stuartsailing.com
gohawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 17:34   #8

Location: Boynton Beach, Florida. Cruising Bahamas through Spring 2024
Boat: Manta 40

Recommend Capt Jaye. She taught us on a Lagoon 440 and is located in Fort Pierce, FL. Tell her Capt. Jason and Capt Monica say hi! We are both now USCG Captains too - she's a great teacher.

Captain Jaye Catherine Melanson
USCG 100 GT Master
ASA Certified Instructor
Cell: 305-747-0314
Office : 772-466-1240
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 17:39   #9

Boat: Cruisers Yacht, 3870 - 43 LOA

Most ASA courses can be arranged to be private on your boat. This will give you the certification which may reduce your insurance policy. Check ASA.com the courses depending on your experience could be just ASA 114.
ShellBack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:55   #10

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

Get an experienced professional, that teaches a structured course, thier own, or a company or both and who is U.S.C.G. Licensed. Have to be to legally licensed to work for hire .

There is a huge amount of information that you need to learn, and commit to memory, and apply to your boating and sailing, other than turning on the AC, refer, and GPS, pointing out the liquor locker, and pushing Start.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take a structured course, that includes all aspects of skippering a vessel. Trust me that is lot. We never quit learning.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But you are now at the helm of your own boat, and the responsibity is yours alone for the safety of everyone, and the vessel itself. And other boats as well.

You might take a full on course thru a certified sailing school, learn to sail, and gain all of that knowledge, and then add on your boat handling and sailing, and specific systems training on your Catamaran.

Learn how to rig the sails, set and trim the sails, all lines and what they do, points of sail, coming about, and jibing, reefing, etc. and apply that knowledge to your own vessel. Many just start out on their own boat, and that is just fine , as well. The instructor will come to you.

Problem that we actually have observed, is that the Catamarans that we have seen, although they have a mast and sails, only motor. That is fine for what they want to experience.

That is not all catamaran drivers, but a good amount of them. Same for many monohulls. We love seeing a properly trimmed sailing vessel cutting thru the seas.

It makes no difference, if twin hulled or a monohull, seamanship, experience, applying that knowledge, and being respectful, and thoughtful of others and safety is very important.

I designed and implemented and taught a power boat safety as sea course for many years , that was very structured, and took several days. Usually over a month or more, when the new to power boating person's sked worked out.

That included, full on pre departure inspections of every system on board. Electrical management, water, fuel, batteries, generator, electronics, ships lights, radio procedures, fire prevention and fire fighting, sound signals, fuel systems and cut offs, marine head systems and pump out procedures and regulations. Ships lights.

Thorough engine room inspection before and after the engines are running. Why add in a check after the engines are running....to check for any fluid leaks of any kind including, water, coolant, transmissions, engines, oil and fuel lines, dip sticks shoved in tight, loose belts, etc, etc.

Windlass operation, anchor moused to chain , Check clevis pin wire ", All emergency gear, flares and flare gun, distress flag, 1st aid kit, fire extinguishers, ships whistle or air horn or both, life jackets, and MOB gear..

Everything stowed in the below spaces, nothing should go adrift in a sea way.

Check, Wheel block to block, and centered, check gear shift operations, Throttles. Shore power cord disconnected and stowed, or on dock.

Dock lines released, coiled and completed with a sea "C" gasget , and stowed away on board, . Not left on the boats deck cleats. Fenders up and stowed in locker.

Check for traffic before departure, and make the proper sound signal for a motor vessel departing its dock. On prolonged if going out forward, three short blasts for engine astern ( backing out ).

Proper vessel documents on board as well as a cruising guide , or sailing directions, or coast pilot, and CG 169 ( rules of the road,, and signal lights and day shapes ).or all of the above. Back up all of your electonic wonders with paper charts, have nav tools, and take a Coastal Piloting and Navigation course. A back up hand held GPS is also a good plan.

Man overboard drills, shout, point to the person, toss them a life jacket never take your eyes off the person in the water..point. Actually show your guests where the life jackets are, and how to put them on.

This is just a small part of what you really should know and practice. Is his the common practice, Nope ! It is not.

Know the rules of the road, obey speed limits, no wake zones, different methods of anchoring , marine weather, fog procedures and sound signals in limited visibility.

The above are just of the top of my head, and add on docking and departing a slip, and side to dock. Close quarters maneuvering with throttles and gear shift. Plus all that involves handling the boat under sail..and under power.

Watch standing, traffic situations, and right of way.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yikes !

I know, many people will just roll over and stick their feet and arms up to the sky, and just get on board and turn the key to START. No way are they going to go thru all of that. And, yep, it is very evident that is that many just board and turn on the key,

They do not even think about professional training. They do not need or want, nor even hear about it. That is their choice .

See what mean I about a pro. A couple of three hour quickies by a broker or boat seller, warf rat, or boulevard bosun bar buddy is not going to get it done.

However, again from what we have observed, 85 % of the people out sailing, monohull or catamaran, do not bother with any of those suggestions. It is climb on board, break out the booze, start the engines, and shove of to a happy day at water world. Their choice, Their boat, their family, their friends.

All can make our personal choices in life .

it is up to individual and that is end game.
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain, catamaran