Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2016, 11:18   #1

Buy or charter in prep for 2018 World ARC circumnavigation?

Next month three family members are taking a five-day basic sailing class with many more classes to come. Over the next 18 months, which do you recommend as the better prep plan, buying a 25-30 ft. old boat (there are many in the local San Francisco Bay Area) or chartering bigger boats like the 40-45 footer we'll eventually use for the World ARC? With the former, we can sail every few weeks; with the latter, every few months. Thanks!
dwmCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:56   #2

Boat: Sea Ray 330 Sundancer
Re: Buy or charter in prep for 2018 World ARC circumnavigation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmCA View Post
Next month three family members are taking a five-day basic sailing class with many more classes to come. Over the next 18 months, which do you recommend as the better prep plan, buying a 25-30 ft. old boat (there are many in the local San Francisco Bay Area) or chartering bigger boats like the 40-45 footer we'll eventually use for the World ARC? With the former, we can sail every few weeks; with the latter, every few months. Thanks!
Is a lease-share or something similar available in your area? That way you get on a boat right away, still have more sailing opportunities than once every few months, and you won't be stuck with a boat you have to sell again in a couple years? We went a similar route for a year after finishing sailing classes, and still were able to do a couple charters in the caribbean. I'd like to go long-term cruising but probably not for a good 10 years or so. Plus, we decided this year to give sailing a rest and bought a powerboat. Maybe in a few years we'll sell that, but it's at least a 5-6 year commitment now. Or at least that's the plan!
Enrique100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 13:01   #3

That's a great idea.
Old 04-05-2016, 16:20   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

Since 2018 is like tomorrow I would try to do most of my prep on the target boat. If you cannot have that, charter anything similar close to home.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:30   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Like that concept......pragmatic.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:35   #6

How about crewing on some boats?
I'd get some basic certifications
and then look here and on
Ocean Crew Link.
You would get some good real world
experience on different boats
and be able to fine tune your
needs & wants.
Other than that get a dingy
and sail the paint off it
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:42   #7

I appreciate the ideas. I've looked at chartering as a 5-7 day expensive adventure, but I can always day charter on increasingly larger boats up and down the California coast.

Richard, the owner of Latitude 38 in the SF Bay Area, writes that if a person can make it around the Farallones (and back!) he/she can go anywhere.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:49   #8

Boat: Outremer 50S

Sailing is only one part of the equation. If you are off cruising you also have to take care of all the boat systems, and that can consume as much (or more) time than the sailing. So, having a boat that you use regularly can help you with learning the basic ins and outs of that side of the cruising life. Not saying it has to be a boat you own, but somehow if you can use the same boat for a while and be responsible for the systems on board (rather than the charter company being responsible when you tell them something doesn't work) it will stand you in good stead down the road.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:14   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Sailing is only one part of the equation. If you are off cruising you also have to take care of all the boat systems, and that can consume as much (or more) time than the sailing. So, having a boat that you use regularly can help you with learning the basic ins and outs of that side of the cruising life. Not saying it has to be a boat you own, but somehow if you can use the same boat for a while and be responsible for the systems on board (rather than the charter company being responsible when you tell them something doesn't work) it will stand you in good stead down the road.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ +1,000

Sailing is only a percentage of what cruising is all about.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:27   #10

Boat: Bavaria Vision 46

On the SF bay, I used Club Nautique for classes and then chartering before buying my boat. It was a great way to see a lot of different boats and the rates are pretty reasonable. They have classes all the way through Passage making that should prepare you well. With local chartering you should be able to get out sailing a lot more than every few months.
Good luck!
TheWingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:31   #11

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Yes.

Then again, sailing the target boat and fixing her as much as sailing ... may lead you to the (correct!) conclusion that you may in fact desire a boat that has a different fixme/sailme ratio.

Simplicity and quality over complexity and quantity. Unless you are into fixing things!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:46   #12

Considering the time it takes to find the right boat and then outfitting it for a circumnavigation I'd say you should have started yesterday.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 13:15   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Considering the time it takes to find the right boat and then outfitting it for a circumnavigation I'd say you should have started yesterday.
My start was making enough money.
Old 05-05-2016, 13:48   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmCA View Post
My start was making enough money.
Well I understand that and I wish you well.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 17:35   #15

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

Dsanduril pretty much nailed it.

DWMCA you say, "My start is making enough money." I would like to know what you perceive to be a necessary budget for your ARC circumnavigation and what portion of that budget is the price of the vessel?

The reason I ask is, perhaps you can already afford a boat for the world voyage that requires bringing the deferred maintenance up to scratch.

Many people who have sailed around the world especially from the. West coast, have found their voyage longer than their financial resources allowed. As these folks see their funds dwindling, their passages become longer and port calls shorter. To some extent this is simple geography and tradewind routes. Their boats often suffer for these long passages but they are most often well equipped.

We're I in your shoes, I would consider looking for a veteran cruiser that will fit your family and an occasional visitor and take the time to research the repairs and do them yourself or with someone willing to think out loud beside you.

Expand your boat search from Panama to Alaska and consider finding a seasoned sailor to help you bring her to the Bay Area or truck her.

Voyaging in large groups has its upsides for a newbie sailor. To my mind, organized cruising is an oxymoron.

Good luck in your endeavor.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, charter, circumnavigation, navigation