Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2016, 01:25   #1

Exclamation Blue Oyster Sailing School - Gibraltar

I had the misfortune of trying this lot. What an awful experience! The Owners were extremely rude, inconsiderate to my needs and as for the "food" they supplied....stodgy, cheap and inedible at the very best. I started to look into them, sadly after I had parted with my money. Apparently this Susie is not all she claims to be, her family do not live in Gibraltar and she has a somewhat shady past.
Sailing_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 16:01   #2

Re: Blue Oyster Sailing School - Gibraltar

Wish I had done my homework before!!!
hollandnigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 10:22   #3

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

I've heard that Hurcules school in Gibraltar is good.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 16:51   #4
Marine Service Provider

Sorry to hear about your bad sailing school experiences... It is sometimes hard to sort out the good from the bad. One good place to check is Trip Advisor or some similar independent review site.
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 17:33   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Blue Oyster Sailing School - Gibraltar

Your not the first disgruntled customers/students who've come on here about them..
Report them to the RYA.. get enough bad press and they may just get their right to approve RYA certificates removed.
The RYA's a great organisation for boaters and fight our corner.. pretty sure they don't want crap schools in their name..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 17:51   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Blue Oyster Sailing School - Gibraltar

Did they ask for a Tip..??

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 21:12   #7

Thanks for this tip man... I was just about to go for Blue Oyster.. Which course did you take with them?
dollarside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:06   #8

This thread scared the bejebus out of me, since I only saw it until after I booked on!

We ended up sailing with blue oyster in Costa Brava, and had a thoroughly good time, though there were a few rough edges. In the past, I have had experience with a number of other sailing schools (Menorca sailing, Faro sailing, Atlantic Sailing), and found Blue Oyster perfectly fine. Since I had a wee bit of experience, they gave us a yacht master instructor (freelance), who was very good.

There were some lapses in customer service levels, which is typical for your husband/wife team outfits. Not excusing that. I don't like that you can't pay using a credit card (with the buyer protection that comes with it), and I particularly dislike being asked to clean a boat at the end of the week. But we were in Costa Brava, which is an expensive part of the world to charter a boat, and we got a weeks sailing at a very good price (for the region), with a very good instructor. We swapped to a smaller boat on the last day, so that we could practice manoeuvring in the marina, which was a nice touch.

Saw some fasttrack yachmaster guys, but didn't get a chance to ask them about their experience. Fast track guys usually have something to complain about though :-)

These guys really have to sort out their social media presence!

Dan
Paddy Fields is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Gibraltar, oyster, sail, sailing, sailing school, school