Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2017, 16:10   #1

Beginner from Colorado looking for Schools

Hello, I am new to sailing and seeking instruction with an eye towards future chartering and possible ownership. I am from landlocked Colorado and know oodles of mountain things, but will be starting from scratch on sailing. My first intent is to take two weeks of ocean sailing instruction during the upcoming holiday season, and it's my druthers to take courses somewhere warm and take a breather from the mountain winter.

I seek recommended schools that will be in nice January sailing climates. That's the likes of Australia, NZ, South Africa, Mexico. About all I have to go on right now is if the school has a professional-looking website, which is hardly better than a shot in the dark.

I realize that good schooling is more important than good certifications, but gander that the RYA/ICC path may be a tad more ubiquitous than ASA/IPC, so my first search was going to be for Competent Crew + Day Skipper done back-to-back over a two-week holiday around Christmas/New Years'. If I went the ASA route that'd be 101, 103 and Bareboat Cruising 104 still done in two weeks. I can read up on bookish stuff ahead of time.

Thanks much!
REB_Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 09:57   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Beginner from Colorado looking for Schools

Hi! If you opt for the ASA route we would love to help you out with your sail training adventure! Check out our website - but as you point out, that doesn't really tell the whole story.

I would encourage you to also take a look at our TripAdvisor page (https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...h_Grenada.html) Independant review sites like TripAdvisor are a great way to get a feel for the school.

Feel free to contact me either through the Cruisers Forum page or by email directly chris@LTDsailing.com. We will also be at the boat show">Annapolis Boat Show, stop by The Multihull Company booth and ask for Chris or Chrystal!

Beam winds!
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 21:27   #3

Hello again - I've decided to go the RYA route, and searched for schools that have availability the Christmas / New Year's time that fits my schedule. There's some options and I can further research basics like student-instructor ratio, but am interested if forum folks have opinions about learning in these locations or the schools:

Sydney AU (Sailing and Motor Cruises, Charters, Sailing School - Sydney Harbour | East Sail)
Tenerife Canary (Club Yachting – Sailing & Power boats all year round in the warm & sunny Canary Islands)
Lanzarote Canary (www.atlanticsailing.org)
Lanzarote Canary (RYA Sailing Courses & Sailing Holiday Charters - Endeavour Sailing)
Antigua (Welcome to Ondeck Sailing, Antigua, Caribbean Regattas, Atlantic sailing and lots more)
Grenada (Grenada Bluewater Sailing | Caribbean RYA Training Centre)

Thanks!
REB_Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 06:29   #4
Marine Service Provider

I know the guys who run OnDeck in Antigua and Blue Water in Grenada. They both run very good programs. OnDeck is a bigger school than Blue Water. Their program is a very professional operation and I have had several people give great reviews. Blue Water in Grenada is more of a one man show with most courses delivered by Alex, who owns the school. In my opinion this gives the advantage to Blue Water - with a smaller operation, the quality control is going to be much better. I know Alex and have heard very good reviews of his teaching.

If you end up coming to Grenada, let me know - it would be great to meet up for a rum punch!
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
school