Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2013, 21:17   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50
Re: Bareboat Charter in Croatia

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Has you said on your application you had an ICC ?

Dave
Sorry Dave don't understand .. Its my boat
I presume you are talking about chartering..
Old 11-09-2013, 16:08   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
Sorry Dave don't understand .. Its my boat
I presume you are talking about chartering..
I'm sorry Emmalina but read back, Dave is right you said you flew to Ireland to do the icc, whether you had to produce it is not the point. You had it!! Don't understand your point!
DJBrookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 17:04   #18

This is what you want:
http://www.croatia-yachting-charter....ng-croatia.pdf
Akavishon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 07:13   #19

Boat: none yet :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by floro View Post
Thanks guys that's great
We want to hire a cat for one week in July ,can anyone recommend a good company and which is the best port to leave from
Cheers floro
It should be conveniently located to an airport. Dubrovnik, Split, Zadar and Pula (in that order) have most frequent direct and connecting flights to international airport hubs, and there are a number of marinas in their vicinity to charter from. Dubrovnik is generally the priciest of them all.

I don't have chartering experience in Croatia but Sunsail has a base in Kremik marina (45 min from Split Airport) and they should be more flexible in relation to international (especially non-EU) certifications / permits etc.
Invictus69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 17:12   #20
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akavishon View Post
...and for the Aussies out there interested in a Croatian charter, we just confirmed that a Master Class 5 (in the process of being converted to Master <24m NC under the National System) is an accepted qualification for bareboating in Croatia.
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:13   #21

An update:

I chartered out of Trogir in Croatia and had no problem using a USCG commercial license. I have a 1600ton ocean master, but there was very little scrutiny, I'm sure a 100 ton/6 pack would have worked just as well.

We did charter out of a smaller outfit, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

We had a great time also. The boat was inexpensive, but everything else isn't exactly a bargain, i.e. moorage, restaurants, etc. Food at the grocery isn't bad though.
SquarSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 13:23   #22
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquarSail View Post
I chartered out of Trogir in Croatia and...everything else isn't exactly a bargain, i.e. moorage, restaurants, etc. Food at the grocery isn't bad though.
We're in the process of organizing a bareboat over there now and we've never been there before. So could you possibly give us a little guidance in terms of actual costs for things like moorage and restaurants...? ...and perhaps also the highlight spots of your time there?? Please...
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 13:44   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post
We're in the process of organizing a bareboat over there now and we've never been there before. So could you possibly give us a little guidance in terms of actual costs for things like moorage and restaurants...? ...and perhaps also the highlight spots of your time there?? Please...
I'd be happy to tell you what I know, but I'm sure there are more informed people who have spent more time there.

Moorage costs vary depending on whether you're anchored, on a mooring or med moored to a quay. This is the website for the company that runs most (but not all) of the marinas, there is a price list for each site on this site:

ACI.hr Home

Our experience was that a mooring ball was roughly $20 US/night and going alongside was $40-50 US w/ power+water, which wasn't optional.

I think that varies a bit depending on where you go.

One anchorage had a very grumpy harbor authority that charged us $20 US to anchor. I was angry about it, but it was too late to move anywhere else without making an adventure out of it.

We went to Trogir, Milna, Stari Grad, Hvar, and Vis. Trogir was where we left from and was great, though busy. Milna was our first island and was very nice but pretty sleepy, we anchored a few miles away at night. Stari Grad was great and I recommend it. We stayed on a mooring in the harbor. Good walking, great atmosphere and average prices for a waterfront sort of place.

In Hvar we anchored for the day, we were planning on med mooring to the quay but it was full, there aren't many berths alongside there. But then the Bora was coming and the harbor authority asked us to leave if we were staying the night. The quay and all mooring balls were taken, and he said the anchorage is no good for the bora, so we went to a marina without much charm a few miles to the SW.

We anchored is Vis for two nights and had a great time scootering around the island. I think anchoring was $10 US, but I'm a little hazy now. It's certainly possible to anchor for free every night, but if you want to be closer to the action it is easier to pay the fee for some, but not all, places.

Waterfront restaurants were pricy. With the exchange it was something like $20 US and up for an average seafood entree, though you could certainly do it for less if you keep it simple. Inland a few blocks saves you some money for sure. Also we drove around for week after chartering and food off the coast was quite inexpensive. I think the charter industry has really driven up prices in some areas.

Gotta go, let me know if you have more specific questions. I hope I helped!
Old 23-02-2014, 06:36   #24
Marine Service Provider

Dear,

We are a charter company in Croatia and we can assure you that USCG is valid in Croatia.

Your europe-yachts.com
Europe Yachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 08:50   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europe Yachts View Post
Dear,

We are a charter company in Croatia and we can assure you that USCG is valid in Croatia.

Your europe-yachts.com
That is great. I had a really hard time pinning that one down, thought it does seem like it makes sense. Maybe we'll see you next time we're over there.
Old 20-06-2014, 12:37   #26

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Yes the Croatian authorities insist that a skipper of any vessel in national waters has some proof of competence and the ICC is the minimum standard acceptable. If you have an RYA certificate of Day Skipper or above then you can get an ICC free (if you join the RYA) so I presume other national organisations will offer the same. As it is the Day Skipper is actually a higher standard than the ICC.

If you have any form of commercial licence, regardless of the country of origin then you should be fine with that. I can't say for sure but if you have a licence to command a commercial vessel then that has to be higher than any private certificate. If you are not sure then contact the charter company and include your certification or go to the Croatian Ministry of Maritime Affairs website (Ministarstvo pomorstva, prometa i infrastrukture - Maritime affairs - Nautics) and send them an email through the Contact Us link. Given the nature of the maritime industry I am certain they will be very helpful.

You will need a valid VHF certificate as all charter vessels will be fitted with a radio. All Marinas and Harbours work on Ch17, Split Radio is contactable on Ch16 but will direct you to Ch21. Rijeka and Dubrovnik Radio will do likewise for their working channels. There are frequent Navigational Warnings and Weather Forecasts broadcast daily, often preceded by a DSC alert, and these are broadcast in English and Croatian alternatively.

Depending on when you are sailing here and to a certain extent where, be ready to provide the Kapitanja with all your ships documents at anytime. They often do random checks in anchorages and can come alongside at anytime to check you documentation.

One other very important thing to note is there is a zero tolerance regarding the skipper and alcohol. If you are in charge of any form of vessel in Croatian waters you can not have any alcohol in your system. This can also apply to the helmsman. Yes there is a grey area in the case of a dragging anchor but I would think the danger to the vessel outweighs the glass or 2 of wine with dinner.

All that said Croatia has one of the best sailing areas in the world. With nearly 1400 islands to bounce around and an incredible coastline there is something for everyone. Good reliable winds, excellent facilities and friendly people make for a great vacation spot. In 3 and a bit years we have only stopped in the same place more than ones 5 times so best advice is try to avoid the major tourist spots if you can but if you do want to stop at these places call ahead a day in advance especially in July and August as you will need a reservation in many of the prime marinas (ACI).

Hope that helps and welcome to Croatia

Keiron
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bareboat, charter, Croatia, paracelle