Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2019, 08:49   #1

ASA vs USS

I'm terribly sorry as I'm sure this has been asked before but I just can't find it spelled out.

So, what I think I've read is, between ASA and USS, that the ASA is a little bit more preferred based on the opinions, but I haven't seen any specific reasons as to why.

I do see for ASA, you have courses: 101/103/104/114 (and beyond)

For USS, they have courses: 100/101/201/202/301 (I'm sure and beyond too)

So, the question is, Do any of these course cross reference or can I take some courses from one series that will translate to the other? Or should you really just stick with one or the other?

Thanks!!
mrarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 09:33   #2

Boat: Cal 35-2
Re: ASA vs USS

Mrarcher,
I believe USS is geared more toward racing and ASA is geared toward chartering/cruising. I did the ASA path 101 - 104, working on 105 as we speak. So depending on what you what to do choose one. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

happy sailing.
EvntHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 09:44   #3

Thank you for the reply Evnt. I appreciate the distinction of the racing vs chartering/cruising - that's an added layer of intel I haven't heard before.

However, the core question is, if I take some USS courses to start, will those be honored as prerequisites for ASA later courses? The reason I'm asking is, in the Chicago area, trying to find openings is a little tough. So, having the ability to flip back and forth could speed things up.

Thanks!
Old 23-07-2019, 09:46   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrarcher View Post
Thank you for the reply Evnt. I appreciate the distinction of the racing vs chartering/cruising - that's an added layer of intel I haven't heard before.

However, the core question is, if I take some USS courses to start, will those be honored as prerequisites for ASA later courses? The reason I'm asking is, in the Chicago area, trying to find openings is a little tough. So, having the ability to flip back and forth could speed things up.

Thanks!
They won't be honored. You would have to pay a fee to convert them and retest.
fabgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 10:11   #5

Thanks Fabgo - That's what I was afraid of.

So you can't have a resume/credentials that states:

USS 100, 101. Then ASA 103, 104, 114.

That's too bad and makes things a little tougher.

Thanks again.
Old 23-07-2019, 10:53   #6

I don't think the USS classes like Basic Cruising and Bareboat Cruising are geared to racing.

More important is finding a instructor/school you like and if the school lets you take out the boats on your own after the classes. (do they trust their instructors got the job done)
Pete17C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 11:08   #7

RYA beats them both
if your interests are International
Most schools in Europe are cheaper to boot
Bonus is you will also get ICC
If you have the time check out 9
day programs in Portugal
Your gonna be surprised and you’ll get a
nice trip out of it also
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 11:14   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete17C View Post
I don't think the USS classes like Basic Cruising and Bareboat Cruising are geared to racing.

More important is finding a instructor/school you like and if the school lets you take out the boats on your own after the classes. (do they trust their instructors got the job done)
Well, I don't have any affinity to any school yet, but I do know that finding openings locally is tough. Most were filled within days of the schedules being posted in the spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Go View Post
RYA beats them both
if your interests are International
Most schools in Europe are cheaper to boot
Bonus is you will also get ICC
If you have the time check out 9
day programs in Portugal
Your gonna be surprised and you’ll get a
nice trip out of it also
Cheers
Neil
Well, I would love nothing better than to have the means to school abroad, but that's well beyond me!
Old 23-07-2019, 11:30   #9

check out https://chicagosailing.com/lessons/a...sons/101basic/

it looks like they still have class openings

(I got through signing up but stopped short of giving CC info)
Old 23-07-2019, 12:02   #10

Hi Pete, Thanks for checking as that was one of the schools I was considering. However, they are USS and nearly twice the price of SailChicago.org who is also USS. The later is almost impossible to get into, even when you call in well in advance, so that was exactly what I was trying to sort out.

What org is better for a cruising/pleasure future (not racing), and whether you can mix and match to allow better access with these schedules. One poster above felt ASA is a better match, and it appears others have leaned that way too?

As mentioned above, I was hoping to take the first two classes under USS, 100/101 that are currently available. Then move to ASA for the advanced courses perhaps next summer? But seems that is not a path that will work?
Old 23-07-2019, 12:23   #11

Yes, each association wants their money. The USS certs even go as far to say they're no longer valid if you don't keep up your membership in USS.

You can usually pay a fee (might be less $ than the full course) and just take the written test (and maybe a short test sail) and they will let you skip 'prerequisites' for more advanced courses.

I did USS and both classes I took were definitely cruising oriented, though this may depend on the school.

You could check the local sailing clubs / yatch clubs. I went to the skippers meeting for a local club one sunday morning, let them know I was interestred in crewing and was out on some guys boat that afternoon, and each sunday for the next 6 weeks. Might help fill the void and get you out on the water learning the basics until you can take the classes.

Guess you've got to get the early worm if you want the best deal.
Old 23-07-2019, 12:36   #12

Thanks for the follow up Pete. There are a lot of Sailing Clubs around Chicago, however, being far out in the burbs, it makes it a little difficult to do a lot of boots on the ground scouting to figure out the best fit. I have responded to a number of inexperienced cruising crew ads for this area here and elsewhere, but not a single reply. So, from the outside looking in, it's been a little tough getting my feet wet. It would be much easier if I had a local friend to help guide me through, but not so lucky! Seems I'm going to have to notch up the perseverance!
Old 23-07-2019, 12:49   #13

Boat: O'day, 35,

I have TAUGHT for both US/Sailing and ASA Affiliates.
ASA offers 101, 103, 104, 105, 106, 114, and others.
US/Sailing offers Basic Keelboat, Basic Cruising, Bareboat Cruising, Coastal Navigation, Coastal Passagemaking, Catamaran Endorsement (ordered to match ASA certs).

ASA will not recognize ANY certifications other than their own. If you can "challenge" and pass the test for an ASA level (up to 104) you do not need to take the prerequisite courses.

You can use ASA's GoSailing.com website regardless of your ASA status. It is a good way to sail on someone else's boat and gain experience.
eherlihy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 12:52   #14

Thanks for the tips eherlihy!

On edit, that link GoSailing.com redirects to steelbirdsailing.com out of Greece it seems, so I guess it might not working anymore?
Old 23-07-2019, 12:54   #15

Boat: O'day, 35,

Curricula for the certifications are listed here:
US/Saiing: https://www.ussailing.org/education/adult/
ASA: https://asa.com/certifications/
eherlihy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa