Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-05-2016, 09:41   #1

ASA vs Offshore vs ?

Is there any fundamental difference between taking an ASA course, vs an Offshore Sailing School course, or something else? Ultimately, I want to be able to safely sail in and around the U.S. eastern coastal region, but long term, I have plans for some water sailing">blue water sailing (friends in Australia and Italy) and don't want to run into any legalities overseas. Also, in the meantime, I might be interested in chartering a boat for mini-vacations. Is one of the certifications better than another for any of these?

I tried searching for similar topics but got a very crossed mix of entries. Thanks in advance!

Old 25-05-2016, 10:09   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: ASA vs Offshore vs ?

Almost all certification are recognized worldwide.

The one glitch is the need for an International Certificate of Competence in some European countries.

The ASA International Proficiency Certificate is recognized as equivalent to an ICC.

Only ASA members who have completed through ASA 104, Bareboat Cruising, are eligible to order the International Proficiency Certificate. One must be a current member of ASA to be issued the certificate.

ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 07:57   #3
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

I think that Jackdale covered it well. We run an ASA sailing school in Grenada and would be happy to answer any questions you might have about ASA courses in the Caribbean!

We would love to help you out with your sail training goals - also happy to answer any questions you might have about sail training in general.

LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 08:08   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalina 36 (1999)

Jackdale - do you know if the ASA International Proficiency Certificate is "buy once", or is it necessary to keep renewing it?
Old 26-05-2016, 08:49   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Trusty View Post
Jackdale - do you know if the ASA International Proficiency Certificate is "buy once", or is it necessary to keep renewing it?
I am not sure. I have an ICC.

While checking for an answer to your question, I came across this

Quote:
The "International Proficiency Certificate" issued by the American Sailing Association is not the same as the "International Certificate of Competency (ICC) " that is issued by International Yacht Training (IYT) and is required by law to charter or operate a vessel in certain European Countries. While the ASA certificate may be accepted by certain "yacht charter companies" this does not mean that it is accepted by the various Marine Police Forces,
I am aware of one situation in which folks have been denied a charter in Croatia for lack of an ICC.
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 08:57   #6

Boat: Outbound 46 -Callisto

The Offshore Sailing School uses the US Sailing curriculum, which is completely equivalent to ASA (some prefer it). We got our sail training through J-World, which also uses the US Sailing program, and were extremely happy with the experience.

Either program will likely allow you to charter a boat in the BVI, and maybe elsewhere in the Caribbean. There are no guarantees in Europe. Many countries require a government-sanctioned license. In the US, that means a USCG license at one level or another. Neither ASA or US Sailing can guarantee passing a USCG test.

David
s/v Callisto
Old 26-05-2016, 12:26   #7

Boat: PDQ 44i

In the ten-plus years we chartered, in the Virgins, Belize, Florida, and Tahiti the charter companies never required a certificate. They do assess competence. In our case our resume' was sufficient. They are entitled to insist that you take a captain until they are sure you don't need one. In our case they never did. If you have a pulse, a credit card, and a resume' showing evidence of training and experience, they will probably charter a boat to you, with or without a friendly captain for the first day. If you don't have experience/haven't been trained, then you should sail with someone else as skipper until you are competent. Getting a certificate is ONE way of becoming competent, but not the only way.
Old 26-05-2016, 20:30   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavor 36'
Send a message via Skype™ to softgoodsint

Hey, quick post for anyone interested in participating in an ASA104 (Bareboat Cruising) course, who already has completed ASA103. I've got one student (that would be me) scheduled at 'Southernmost Sailing School' out of Key West week after next (eg. starts June 6th, 9AM). This is discounted, since they'd like to have more than one student to defray costs accordingly. If interested, please PM me for more details & exact costs. For anyone who might like to spend a week sailing/training out of "Margaritaville".
softgoodsint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 20:10   #9

Boat: 2017 Lagoon 42

Any suggestions for ASA114 (Catamaran) course on East Coast?
Old 02-06-2016, 20:34   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I am not sure. I have an ICC.

While checking for an answer to your question, I came across this

I am aware of one situation in which folks have been denied a charter in Croatia for lack of an ICC.
I don't know if this list is out of date, but it says that either of these two ratings; Basic Coastal Cruising (ASA) or Basic Keelboat (USSA), lets you charter within 6 miles of shore as the minimum requirement in Croatia. None of the 5 levels of competence for U.S. requirements list ICC.

U.S. starts at #36 in the list
http://www.mppi.hr/UserDocsImages/TA...2015-12_15.pdf

Two sources at least pointed at this list.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:29   #11
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepCut View Post
Any suggestions for ASA114 (Catamaran) course on East Coast?
We are a bit south of the East Coast - but if you are interested in learning to sail in the Caribbean we would love to help you out! Check out our reviews on Trip Advisor. Let me know if you have any questions about our sailing program.

LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa, offshore

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: