Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2011, 20:15   #1

Boat: Saving up for my dream girl
ASA or US Sailing

I'm trying to get into the crewing game for experience and fun. What cradentials are you skippers out there looking for when taking on begginer crew. Are there any major differences between ASA and US sailing when it comes to quality of accredited schools, skills aquired, readiness for offshore sailing etc. I understand that both systems are pretty respectable, but from a skippers point of view: which should I persue?
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 20:23   #2

Re: ASA or US Sailing

ASA is a lot more common, one could argue that US is "better". I can't imagine any skipper really caring which one you got your time in on. Truthfully having some experience (which it sounds like you're going to do after your classes) is what you're going to want and what any captain would want.

If you show up with just knowing which end of the boat goes forward you'll still find work. Regardless of your experience on any race boat you'll end up as rail meat and grinding until you get synched up with that crew and understand the boat.

Try to race as much as you can. Race boats need a lot of crew and hour for hour you're going to gain a lot more sailing knowledge racing than putt-putting around on a cruiser.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 21:29   #3

Boat: Saving up for my dream girl

Haha. I can't wait to end up as "rail meat" But I'm not going to kid myself. I just can't wait to get out there, regardless of the bumps and bruises. I had not been very interested in racing as opposed to cruising, but I had also never thought about how much more learning I would do at that faster pace. And who knows, maybe racing to learn will light my competitive fire. Thanks, Rebel Heart.
I wish it were not the middle of winter here in Michigan.
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 23:06   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
Haha. I can't wait to end up as "rail meat" But I'm not going to kid myself. I just can't wait to get out there, regardless of the bumps and bruises. I had not been very interested in racing as opposed to cruising, but I had also never thought about how much more learning I would do at that faster pace. And who knows, maybe racing to learn will light my competitive fire. Thanks, Rebel Heart.
I wish it were not the middle of winter here in Michigan.
No worries my man. It's 70 degrees out here in San Diego; really awesome winter so I'm feeling extra bad for my frozen Internet buddies out east like yourself.

I know what you mean about racing: I'm not really into it either. A lot of the guys who do it are fairly lame and the racing "culture" is just not something I've gotten into. Everyone in their latest edition Sperry-sport-sneakers and performance fleece.

That being said, they can generally kick the crap out of anyone else in boat handling and sailing in general. They get the most out of their boats, they know when to use a traveler, where to position the jibsheet cars, and a lot of subtle stuff like how to carry speed through tacks and the such. Cruisers are on a whole lazy sailors. I don't mean anything bad about that (I count myself in that bunch), but it's a reality when you have small crews and an emphasis on ease over performance.

Additionally, even in the cruising world there's a big difference between 100 and 140 miles a day when you're talking about a 2000 mile passage (six days for a knot and a half difference in speed). Can mean the difference between a three week trip and a two week trip, or outrunning bad weather or being hosed by it.

Grinding is a great job because you're grinding the winch on orders from someone else and if you're smart you'll quickly be able to figure out what they're seeing and you can ask (if they're not telling you) why they're adjusting what they're adjusting. When not grinding, on the rail you go.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 22:26   #5

good stuff guys, im in the same boat myself. Been on the blogs and sites for a few months now, waiting for summer to take my first class. and OFF i go..

I need to find someone with a boat
lucianbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 11:21   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

For basic sailing I'd say the schools are nearly the same and as Rebel Heart pointed out it really is the instructor that you get that matters the most. I started out as a Naval Sailing Club instructor in the 70s and a Red Cross Sailing instructor in the 80s and then a U. S. Sailing instructor in 2002. I found the basic sailing curriculum of the Naval Sailing Club in Coronado to be nearly identical with U. S. Sailing.
Old 28-01-2012, 11:47   #7

Boat: islandpacket

If your going to take classes, I would find a training facility that starts at basic and continues to off shore. When I first started I had to re due several courses because I started with one trainer then moved and the next place was the other and did not recognize my past training even though it was the samestuff. Knowledge is knowledge and the repeat class was easy But there was the extra expense. If you can find some where close that's great. But if you have to travel you incur the cost of a hotel. I found what I wanted at the Maryland school of sailing and seamanship as you can stay on the boat when you take the class. No connection to the school other than I happy student.
Old 28-01-2012, 12:11   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: ASA or US Sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
I'm trying to get into the crewing game for experience and fun. What cradentials are you skippers out there looking for when taking on begginer crew. Are there any major differences between ASA and US sailing when it comes to quality of accredited schools, skills aquired, readiness for offshore sailing etc. I understand that both systems are pretty respectable, but from a skippers point of view: which should I persue?
36-26-36

just kiddin....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 12:41   #9
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
36-26-36

just kiddin....

why would you kid about such a thing
Old 28-01-2012, 13:29   #10

Boat: Gulfstar Hirsh 45

I would suggest to check out your local yacht clubs that have a racing division. Our club here at home has a learn to crew program that teaches the students the basics, and then they get assigned to a skipper who is looking for crew. You will find in the most part that skippers and seasoned crew are more than willing to coach you along, since it is important to bring new people into the sport. We have found that quite a few of these beginners have gone on and purchased there own boats as in the case of my wife and myself. Our boat is a cruiser so therefore we just go into regattas with a cruising class, but we act as committee boat for our Monday Night Spin fleet and I very much enjoy crewing on a friends boat during our Wednesday night races. All the best in your new adventures.
Sea Dancer V is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa, sailing