Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2015, 17:16   #31
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: ASA or RYA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Go View Post
Yes going to the UK for Day Skipper this summer.

Not really relevant to the decision making process

But the cost of traveling to the UK plus the cost of the RYA course

Is less than just the ASA tuition.

Go figure

For me it came down to my thinking that RYA is more internationally

recognized and would be better to have in regards to obtaining crew slots

Anybody gonna need a newly minted Day Skipper in the Med this summer?

RYA has certifications that are significantly more advanced then ASA. The YM offshore or ocean being a case in point.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 21-04-2015, 06:33   #32
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4Neptune View Post
I have ASA 101 and will retire this summer and plan to buy a boat to live on full time within a year after that. Not planning on "going commercial" but someday may want the option of taking paying guests.

Looking at the IYT web site IYT web site, I see that most EU countries accept it, but the US does not and I see nothing about Caribbean countries. I would like the option to sail my boat anywhere, but the Caribbean, South Pacific and Med are very high on my list. I could just continue with ASA 103, 104, 105, or go with IYT or RYA. People say that the individual school or instructors make more difference than the system. How is someone supposed to judge the quality BEFORE taking the class?
You could try review based websites to check out the quality of the instruction before you commit, you can view ours hereTortola Sailing School (British Virgin Islands): Hours, Address, Boat Tour Reviews - TripAdvisor
TS2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 14:24   #33

Boat: Ker 33 IRC

i got a full RYA dinghy Instructors certs - far more comprehensive than a day skipper or even a coastal skipper.

the RYA Level 3 dinghy cert sits between a day skipper and a coastal skipper and a level 5 is above a coastal skipper and the instructors cert is not far off a coastal ym in terms of whats covered.

i have always prefered my crews to have a dinghy sailing background - its not until you've learnt to master a dinghy that everything sinks in properly JMO.

a dayskippers cert to me just means that you've aware of whats what and the practical just means you know where stuff goes - which is RYA level 2 dinghy. level 2 dinghy covers charts and reading of charts and winds and tides.

the certs that i really like seeing are the practical ones - you can drill theory forever but practical that only gets drilled in real time. i have some crew doing practical courses on board now and again and even though i'm in racetrack mode it challenges them to do their sums and fast and i think that they get a lot more out of it too - you're aiming for a mark for a in/out going tide and all sorts of underwater features - most club races are inshore affairs so challenge everyone --- offshore its a lot easier cos there's more room to make a mistake whereas inshore particularly with a boat like mine there's very little room and this is where the RYA won out for me.
ruby tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 18:34   #34

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Go View Post
Is less than just the ASA tuition.
Note that ASA affiliated schools set their own pricing and can vary quite a lot.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 20:36   #35

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Used to teach the RYA yachtmaster courses. They had an extremely well done set of learning tools and assessments, and challenging stuff as well, not your usual watered down crap that passes for knowledge these days so anyone can easily pass. So I can happily recommend RYA to anybody that wants a top quality certificate.

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
asa