Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 09:11   #1

Any of You Guys ASA Instructors doing/did the job ?

Thinking of getting that license. I thought it might be nice to try to pick up some work at the local sailing schools this summer on the weekends.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 17:47   #2

Boat: Shopping for a 30-ish cat
Re: any of you guys ASA instructors? doing/did the job?

I was and did. In fact, I taught in S.D. at both of the "main" ASA schools and was "instructor of the year" many years back. At the time I thought it was a fun gig. It's just about mandatory to have a USCG license, so factor that into your plan as well. An ASA instructor's certificate without a USCG skipper's license is just about worthless. Be sure to ask the schools if they need instructors before you invest the $$ in the course and license(s). The last I checked (a while back) pay was about half what I used to get and they weren't offering as many classes either.
prof_mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 18:58   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_mariner View Post
I was and did. In fact, I taught in S.D. at both of the "main" ASA schools and was "instructor of the year" many years back. At the time I thought it was a fun gig. It's just about mandatory to have a USCG license, so factor that into your plan as well. An ASA instructor's certificate without a USCG skipper's license is just about worthless. Be sure to ask the schools if they need instructors before you invest the $$ in the course and license(s). The last I checked (a while back) pay was about half what I used to get and they weren't offering as many classes either.
Was it fun though? How were the students? Is it seasonal?

I have my uscg 50 ton and I saw the asa course was like three days so I figured it would be worth knocking out.

JWorld is 300 yards away from me here.
Old 06-03-2011, 19:38   #4

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'

If you can get your ASA Instructor Certification from JWorld in three days, I'm buying the beer.
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 20:13   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortytwo View Post
If you can get your ASA Instructor Certification from JWorld in three days, I'm buying the beer.
No idea if JWorld does the class but they hire a lot of instructors.

Am I missing something? Looks like three days to me over a weekend.

Schools Seeking Instructors
Old 06-03-2011, 20:23   #6

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'

J World San Diego: The Performance Sailing School

#10. Why only offer US SAILING certifications?
US SAILING offers the only non-profit sailing certification system in the US, thereby guaranteeing rigorous standards uncompromised by profit motives. These standards are the only ones that come close to the ones we set for ourselves and our students at J World San Diego.

Learn to sail California- American Sailing Association
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 20:28   #7

Boat: grampian 26

How much time do you get on the water as an instructor?
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 20:30   #8

Ah, we're talking two different things. ASA's basic keelboat instructor is indeed three days, and US Sailing's is what jworld is hiring for: J World San Diego: The Performance Sailing School .

But actually, that one is three days as well:

Basic Keelboat Instructor Evaluative Course
Old 06-03-2011, 20:31   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
How much time do you get on the water as an instructor?
A friend of mine used to teach at jworld. He was making like $12/hour and his schedule shifted around a lot depending on the classes he was teaching. The 5 day keelboat one has him pretty busy.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:00   #10

Boat: Shopping for a 30-ish cat

US Sailing and ASA are two different birds. I was certified through the ASA which, at the time, had many more schools than USS. J World is the only school in San Diego that uses USS as I recall.

Quote:
Was it fun though? How were the students? Is it seasonal?
I enjoyed it. I taught all levels including classroom training. The most fun were the higher level courses that usually included extended cruises.

As I recall, we taught year round in San Diego. I filled the time between classes by doing deliveries, private charters, and "corporate team building" as well. The only thing I didn't enjoy were some of those "team building" events, often they were little more than booze-a-thons. From what I saw (but I never worked there), J World seemed to run a first class operation. I would be careful, though, when considering working for some of the other operations in S.D. Some were well run, others were a lawsuit waiting to happen. Send me a private message if you'd like more specific info.
prof_mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:01   #11

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

I wasn't an ASA Instructor but was a US Sailing Basic Instructor for many years. Best pay I ever got was about $12 an hour with the YMCA. However, because it was a basic it turned into being a talented baby sitter on many occasions.

When the Red Cross used to have sailing classes I was a certified Red Cross Sailing instructor teaching out of Pearl Harbor and that was a great deal of fun with no pay.

I used to teach sailing at a local Navy club in San Diego to adults in keel boats and it was a great deal more fun with 98% adults. Here in Hawaii too I've taught keel and basic courses for our local club. A lot more fun with mostly adults. But in both those cases it was volunteer too.

Although US Sailing might call themselves non-profit. They get a lot of money for their instructional certification courses and charge an annual fee as well as a fee for recertification. They also encourage you to be a missionary for the US Sailing form of instruction which is very much the same as any other sailing curriculum.

Teaching sailing is fun. If you can find a local college or university that has a sailing program you might find a job which pays a bit more.

kind regards,

Tags
asa