Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2017, 08:03   #1

Any info on Safety at Sea seminars

I'm interested in offshore racing. Figured I'd start small just buying seats on regattas and beer can races in Galveston Bay through sailing schools.

I'm also interested in taking a Sailing at Sea seminar. I've found a list of seminars via US Sailing's website. Other than just picking a class and signing up, does anyone have any insights I should consider?

Thanks in advance for your input.
fschaefer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 04:53   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Any info on Safety at Sea seminars

I know that J/World runs some offshore racing clinics. They would probably be worth checking out - though I don't think there is a J/World school in the Galveston area. I have met some of the J/World crew in San Francisco / Puerto Vallarta who were very knowledgeable and run a good program. I have also met some of the J/World crew from Annapolis who we are planning to do a J/105 clinic with this fall.

Best of luck! It would be great to hear what you find and about your experience with the program you choose.
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 05:08   #3

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

I did one here recently in Australia. I'm glad I did but I was disappointed it had little information on prevention and was strongly focused on what to do once it all went wrong.

In fairness that's probably the aim of the course but it would be nice not to get into survival situations in the first place.
Old 21-04-2017, 06:16   #4

Thanks for the J/World recommendation. You're right about all the clinics they offer, but I didn't see a safety at sea seminar. From what I understand, it's a requirement that some percentage of your crew have that certificate. I like taking classes, so figured it would be a way to stack the cards in my favor to get on a boat.

@ Dave_S. Yeah, I think they assume you've done the training to avoid getting in trouble elsewhere. This is the opportunity to actually inflate the raft and try to get in. I have to wonder how many people look at their life raft as this magic box and wonder what would happen if they actually activated it.
fschaefer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 06:47   #5

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

The SOLAS seminars are required for some ocean races--a percentage of the crew to include the skipper. Offered all around the country. I just took one in Charleston in March. The seminars are two day affairs. Day one is class time except they usually have an on-water demo of flares and MOB pickup. There is info on "prevention." Day two is bring your personal flotation device and prepare to get wet. They also usually have a liferaft for inflation and practice getting into. They will want you to wear wet weather gear as well, as this makes a huge difference when in water. You'll learn to appreciate the adage about the only way to get into a life raft is to step down into it as your boat goes down. Getting into one with a deployed pfd and wet weather gear is simply not easy. Terror is a good stimulant, but your eyes will be opened.

The speakers were good, and it is always a chance to meet some new sailors.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety