Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2010, 15:26   #1

Boat: Catalina 34' - Herodotus
Any Direct Experience with Landing School or International Yacht Restoration School ?

Has anyone looked into these schools for a career in the marine industries? Currently, I find myself at the end of a path and am looking for a new adventure and perhaps some MODEST financial security. I'm an educated man, degrees and all - which leads me to John Paul Jones:

“It is by no means enough that an officer be capable...He should be a gentleman of liberal education, refined, manners, punctilious courtesy, and the nicest sense of personal honor... No meritorious act of a subordinate should escape his attention, even if the reward be only one word of approval. Conversely, he should not be blind to a single fault in any subordinate."

Been there, done that. Can't even afford the t-shirt.

Has anyone heard of the quality of education from The Landing School in Arundel, Maine (or to a lesser extent, IYRS in Newport, Rhode Island)? I'm looking at their programs: Wooden Boat Building, Wooden Composite Boat Building, Composite Boat Building, Marine Systems, and Yacht Design.

From my unexperienced eye, it seems that the most PRACTICAL would be Marine Systems (Diesel Mechanics, Fiberglass Repair, Electrical...the whole nine), followed by Composite Boat Building. Besides guileless interest, I think that these skills would allow someone to become self-sufficient in terms of cruising, finding work/opening shop, and procuring necessary work visas.

Granted, this is a bit in the future, but no sense in not attempting to herd the cats.

What do y'all think? Is this a viable option for caribbean liveaboard living? Worth the investment? Employable? I'd be the black sheep, but in a flock of others, who cares?
Preposterous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 15:25   #2

I'm interested in reading replies to this- my huisband has decided he wants to do the Marine Systems degree at Landing- as being well prepared for our travels. My son has looked into the boat building there- says it is considered one of the best programs in the world.
Erin's Ripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 13:27   #3

Boat: Watkins 29'
You may want to pose these inquiries over at woodenboat.com forum. There are a few people over there that graduated from these schools and now in the industry.
Mike Vogdes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
school