Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-05-2007, 08:16   #91
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
We could point our fingers at the other guy, or we could take responsibility for our own actions.
None of us can be totally innocent - even manufacturing our Dacron sails has an impact. All human activity leaves a footprint.
The question shouldn’t be which other guy is the worst offender; but how can I take responsibility for, and reduce my own (negative) impacts.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2007, 09:09   #92
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 2001 Albin 28TE.
Quote:
but how can I take responsibility for, and reduce my own (negative) impacts.
Yeah Gord, it is all a matter of degree since we all pollute one way or the other.

One way to reduce the footprint is to sell the boat, the car, everthing. Live in a tent and grow our own food.

Or just pull the plug, no more pollution after the cremation.

That being said, the boaters with the most impact, as in foot print, would surely be the big motoryachts and that is where the finger should be pointed, IF INDEED we are going to point fingers.

I did not start this thread, but somehow I find it ironic that it is posted on Cruisers Forum where the majority of us run sailboats with auxilliary diesel engines leaving a fairly small footprint .

As for how to reduce it: We recycle garbage on the boat, take plastic, glass, oil and aluminum back to shore for proper treatment.
Don't run air conditioning or aux generator for comfort.
Solar panels for most of the electric needs, etc.

All that is totally wasted when ya see a 150' motoryacht cruising by at 20 knots, leaving a bigger footprint than 50 sailboats...

CSY Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2007, 10:42   #93
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40
It seems ironic

We little guys are told to save while the big spenders can squander away. The rich, for instance, flies all over the world in private jets while we little guys have to cram ourselves in like sardines for an occasional family visit.

I can emphasize with CSY, some people just like to scold the majority for what the minority is responsible for. I see it over and over. One person screws up and we all have to pay.

And that's how I see the pollution situation. The big companies and the wealthy wasted away our precious resources (air/water) to fill their own pockets. They are the ones that should be paying for the recovery, not the little guy!

I would say we should hit up the ones who got rich from polluting the environment. e.g. Paper Mills, Petroleum mfg's, Aircraft mfg's and industry, Auto mfr's, Chemical Co's and so on. They are the ones who left the FootPrint!
..............................................._/)
Old 24-05-2007, 10:58   #94

Boat: none
Seems like people should practice what they preach regardless of who has the cash.
Old 24-05-2007, 12:00   #95
Moderator Emeritus

Remember what the hippies used to say:
“If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate”
Wait, maybe it was chemists who said that
Attached Images

Old 24-05-2007, 16:53   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man

That being said, the boaters with the most impact, as in foot print, would surely be the big motoryachts and that is where the finger should be pointed, IF INDEED we are going to point fingers.

Thats what I said at the very beginning of the thread,you could have saved yourself a pile of grief if you just learned how to read the title post more carefully!

I did not start this thread, but somehow I find it ironic that it is posted on Cruisers Forum where the majority of us run sailboats with auxilliary diesel engines leaving a fairly small footprint .

I started it , and I cruise for 6 months of every year.Cruising is done by many different kinds of vessels it is not specific to sail.It would seem capt lars was right about sailboat snobery.Btw life is ripe with irony

Old 24-05-2007, 17:21   #97

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man
Not, I did not say that.

What I am trying to get across, (although it is like feeding tootpaste back in the tube), is this: if somebody wants to raise hell about polluters on the water, they should take the message to the proper forum: Say a big-yacht forum. Them guys burn hundreds or thousands of liters diesel per day. That is where the damage is being done, not around here where people use sails for propulsion.

Why is that so hard to understand..?
Fair enough, don't have a problem with that.

As long as you realize that not all of us use sail's here, but I have before, and believe that I have taken a responsible approach to my fuel usage in the style of boat I am building.

Please don't think I am one of the "Big Fuel User" types.

Dave
Old 24-05-2007, 17:24   #98
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruising Man
(First post - go easy please)

Since this thread was originally about footprints, might I ask if anyone has used electric engines in a yacht? It seems to me that with modern day chargers (solar/wind etc) they may be able to serve yachties well.

Typically, I use the iron lady to get me out of a marina/tight space, then sail for half a day to a few weeks, before reversing the process. In this time frame surely the 'fuel tank' could have topped itself up?

Am looking for a cat to purchase, and was thinking about twin electics for her (sorry Lloyds, she is a she). Anyone got anything good or bad to say about electric propulsion.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place on the forum.

Mike
There's also

electricboats : Electric Boats

and

ElectricBoating : Electric Boating

Steve B.
Old 24-05-2007, 17:32   #99
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay
Remember what the hippies used to say:
“If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate”
Wait, maybe it was chemists who said that
My favorite one is this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	I have a deram draem.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	1187  
Old 24-05-2007, 20:53   #100
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Speaking of footprints, I wonder how much fuel the US Military uses in an average day?
Old 25-05-2007, 00:44   #101

I blame the dinosaurs....they have so many footprints.
Old 25-05-2007, 01:00   #102

Sorry folks...I'll be here all night.
Old 25-05-2007, 05:01   #103
Moderator Emeritus

Sailboats are equipped with a variety of engines, but all of them work on the internal destruction principle, in which highly machined parts are rapidly converted into low-grade scrap, producing in the process energy in the form of heat, which is used to boil bilge water; vibration, which improves the muscle tone of the crew; and a small amount of rotational force, which drives the average size sailboat at speeds approaching a furlong per fortnight. ~ Anonymous

Old 26-05-2007, 20:58   #104
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
Actually, I think I like the "carbon footprint" argument. There are many municipalities trying to "control" liveaboard sailors, and one of the most heard arguments is "raw sewage" being discharged into the water. The carbon footprint of a sailboat (assuming solar and/or windgen) for 2-3 people on board, even if you turn your Y-valve off and flush into the water, is a fraction of the same impact in a shore dwelling. I think I like this line of thought. Have you ever seen a big Jewfish poop? It would take several boats to make that much mess in the water!
Old 26-05-2007, 21:17   #105
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"Have you ever seen a big Jewfish poop? It would take several boats to make that much mess in the water! __________________
Starfish"

If there were any puffer fish around there wouldn't be ANYTHING left in about ten seconds.

While I cruised Mexico those guys were always hanging around under boats waiting for their next meal.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: