Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2016, 08:25   #1

Yearly cost of ownership

I was wondering what folks here spend for regular maintenance every year for one engine. Regular maintenance being Winterizing, De-winterizing and oil change.

How often do most paint the bottom of their boat, assuming it stays in fresh water all year.
Wolfgang6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 00:34   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Yearly cost of ownership

Depends on the engine (how much oil in the pan, cost of the filter). Do you do the maintenance or do you pay someone to do it?
I live aboard and the engine room and bilges don't freeze in the winter. I winter in SE Alaska or coastal Oregon. Other than anti-freeze in the engines and fogging oil if the engines are going to sit, I do no special winterizing. And I've been doing it this way for 50+ years.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:49   #3

Lepke,
I assume you have a inboard. How often do you take your boat out of the water to check the bottom? Being in salt water, how often had you have to repaint?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 09-04-2016, 06:51   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I nearly got arrested yesterday for touching up some bottom paint at low tide so that might add to this years cost......
Old 10-04-2016, 01:12   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I have twin inboards, Detroit 671s and two generators.
I was taught every year in salt water and every 3 years in fresh water. I have a wood hull, but with a copper sheeted bottom. A previous owner planned on using the boat in the tropics. After fixing some wiring problems, my zincs will last years.
Even with a 100% copper bottom, paint is still needed. But I don't have the usual wood hull leaks.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:50   #6

Lot of variables here... size of boat for starters...and how much the engines are run. I change about every 75 hrs... a filter and about 5 quarts of oil.... these days the way I use the boat it's about 3 or 4 changes / yr. I usually change oil and filter for winter lay up regardless. ($50??? per)

winterizing... antifreeze... $15

Bottom paint for me is about a gallon. The boat needs to be hauled and blocked, power washed. Then maybe some wet sanding, masking, bushes, thinners, roller pan and sleeve, new zinc(s) ($350? yard does it x 2.5)

Wax hull... super structure $50 yard does it x 8

36' sail, Long Island NY

YMMV
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 04:47   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
Lot of variables here... size of boat for starters...and how much the engines are run. I change about every 75 hrs... a filter and about 5 quarts of oil.... these days the way I use the boat it's about 3 or 4 changes / yr. I usually change oil and filter for winter lay up regardless. ($50??? per)

winterizing... antifreeze... $15

Bottom paint for me is about a gallon. The boat needs to be hauled and blocked, power washed. Then maybe some wet sanding, masking, bushes, thinners, roller pan and sleeve, new zinc(s) ($350? yard does it x 2.5)

Wax hull... super structure $50 yard does it x 8

36' sail, Long Island NY

YMMV

Sea Ray 320, 32ft, Twin Mercruiser 350 Horizon 300HP FWC, V-drive, plan to leave in water over winter, with bubbler, like other boats.

I hear you don't have to de-winterise as you just start things up in the spring.

I will have to pay someone to do most of the stuff since age is catching up. But then again, it is because of age that I now have time to boat

I am not familiar with Zinc(s) , how does that factor into fresh water versus sea water ?

Tags
ownership