Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2011, 23:36   #16

Boat: Woods, Romany, 34ft
Re: world cruiser, but what range?

With a budget of 350K, my suggestion is to look at sailing catamaran designs like those by Richard Woods and Kurt Hughs. And have it built in a boat yard in Asia, there are good boat yards in China, Sri Lanka and Vietmam.

Since I live in Karachi (Pakistan) I am getting my boat built here. It is a 36ft power cat with two 60hp deisel engines. It is to cost me about $ 200K, finished interior in teak, SSB Radio, VHF, GPS, Depth sounder, chart plotter, air conditioning, heating, fully equiped galley, heads, shower etc. I expect to start building in Dec. and launch in April 2012.
inamk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 01:44   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmd View Post
Look for a proper cruising sailing cat, just like has been suggested by many members before.
Right. A normal sailing catamaran will do what you want. Just adapt to the accomodation, which 99% of people find just fine.

Or a motorsailer monohull, like a Nauticat.

Whether you can do that for $350k, I don't know. You'll have to compromise somewhere.

You should just look at real boats, and choose something which exists. Forget about adding tanks, adding masts, or redesigning anything. A boat is a whole system which needs to be designed by an actual naval architect for the intended purpose. If you want to cross oceans, then buy a boat which was specifically designed and built to do that. You will save yourself a lot of headache.

Would you buy a car and start adding axles, changing the seating arrangement, putting a different engine in it? Or course not. You would choose something which really exists, which seems to be closest to your intended purpose. Same thing with boats. Leave boat design to professionals.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 05:35   #18

Boat: O'Day 28
Cool Re: world cruiser, but what range?

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmd View Post
Oh god, here we go again.

Scoobert, your last thread was closed because it got ridiculous and invited derision and here you go again.

Yep. And wait til he hears about pirates, big waves, head maintenance, electronics, ANCHORS, and all the rest. As I recall, he's a single-hander as well. BS plain and simple IMO. World cruiser?

I'm going to try the ignore feature for the first time to save my blood pressure.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 06:48   #19

Boat: Santana 25
Scoobert
The only reason all the sailors here are so down on your plans and ideas is they must live in areas where medical marijuana is not legal yet.
They are stuck in the real world !!!
Look, if you want power, sail, and a lot of room, it's simple.
Buy two catamarans !!!
One power...... One sail......hook em' together with rope like we would tow our dink.
If you want to power, tow your sail cat.
If you want to sail, tow your power cat.
If you want to fish, tie a net between them.
This may prove difficult at first as you are single handing, but perhaps with something like a jet ski to ferry between them when making way, it may be doable.
What's wrong with me, just get the Swedish bikini ski team to crew for you and sit back and enjoy life.
Everything is possible to him that believe and it's all waiting for someone like you to reach out and take hold.
NEVER let other people rain on your dreams.
Some think I'm goofy for my plan to live on a boat too. And my dreams fall way short of yours.
Forget about what others think would work or makes since.
Good luck with the glaucoma !!!
twoblocktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 07:27   #20

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Unless you stop at the Galapagos Islands leaving the Panama Canal, you will need fuel for at LEAST 5.000 Nm. So at least 1.000 gallons.
If you want sails on your cat, get a sailing cat. It will probably get the same or better fuel mileage.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 08:35   #21

Boat: Nordhavn 43

I want to start this by saying that I have circumnavigated the world on a powerboat, so it can be done in the right boat. However, there is more to the right boat than just carrying enough fuel. Ocean crossing boats need to be more solidly built than coastal cruisers. How deep is the draft? If its too shallow, it will flip in big waves. Is the keel weighted so it will automatically right itself in big waves? Are the windows reinforced so if it gets hit by a big wave, the windows won't shatter? Are the doors water proof or will they leak when hit with big waves? Is there a fuel polishing system to ensure you won't have dirty fuel shutting down your engine? Is it a raw water exhaust system where your engine will shut down if you suck in a plastic bag or jellyfish? Is there stabilization? Trust me, on a powerboat you NEED stabilization when crossing oceans.

Since you commented you don't understand things like hull shape, I would strongly recommend you read "Voyaging Under Power" by Robert Bebe (and updated by Jim Leishman) so that you understand the physics of the boat and what a seaworthy boat hull really means.

After reading the book, join the Nordhavn Dreamers group, where they discuss things like fuel efficiency and physics ad nauseam. There you will get solid information from the power boating community rather than only halfway correct information from sailors that don't totally understand the capabilities of a properly equipped power boat.
ChristiGrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 09:41   #22

Boat: private yacht always moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoblocktom View Post
Scoobert
The only reason all the sailors here are so down on your plans and ideas is they must live in areas where medical marijuana is not legal yet.
They are stuck in the real world !!!
Look, if you want power, sail, and a lot of room, it's simple.
Buy two catamarans !!!
One power...... One sail......hook em' together with rope like we would tow our dink.
If you want to power, tow your sail cat.
If you want to sail, tow your power cat.
If you want to fish, tie a net between them.
This may prove difficult at first as you are single handing, but perhaps with something like a jet ski to ferry between them when making way, it may be doable.
What's wrong with me, just get the Swedish bikini ski team to crew for you and sit back and enjoy life.
Everything is possible to him that believe and it's all waiting for someone like you to reach out and take hold.
NEVER let other people rain on your dreams.
Some think I'm goofy for my plan to live on a boat too. And my dreams fall way short of yours.
Forget about what others think would work or makes since.
Good luck with the glaucoma !!!

NOW THAT WAS FUNNY.
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 22:22   #23

Boat: Catamaran Cruisers Aqua Cruiser 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
what is a good range for world cruises? i was talking to the broker, he said adding 800-1000 gallons would not be a big deal due to the boats custom lengthen job.
The only part of this boat which was extended was the aft deck over the existing hulls. The broker is confused.
dc9loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 23:01   #24
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
thats the thing, they dont make anything that suits me 100%, and thats why i cant find the perfect boat. i need room, and i want to add sails within 2 years. i will not be sailing for at least 2 years, except excursions around long island. i just dont know enough to piece this together on my own. so i will tell you what i want, if you have a suggestion , tell me.

i need massive room, some sailing ability, blue water. under 300K i would prefer, but could go to 350K asking if need be. so the perfect boat is out, the 56MS nordhavn.
My boat has all of that. We have 650 gallons of fuel aboard. The interior is palatial. She was designed by Olin Stephens to go anywhere. And she sails like a champ. Check my member gallery for pics. I'm cruising the San Juans now, so I'll be posting lots more soon. We have about your intended budget in to it so far, but aren't done yet...
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 06:04   #25

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Re: World Cruiser, But What Range ?

Get a copy of Robert Beebe's Voyaging Under Power, a full and complete treatise on boats capable of crossing oceans. It will answer all your questions and a great deal more.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 08:35   #26

Boat: Corsair F31"Susan C" & Sea Pearl 21"Maggie"
Re: World Cruiser, But What Range ?

If the real question is motor boat with sail or sailboat with motor, perhaps the motor boat supplimented with a kite would be worth considering. There is some experimentation in merchant marine application and the recreational industry as well. It eliminates the need for standing rigging on a motor yacht yet provides for some assistance from the wind to increase range or economy. Dave
DaveOnCudjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruiser