Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2016, 04:36   #31

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Wondering why more power boats aren't using solar power to recharge house batteri

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEasley View Post
Thanks, StuM. That pretty much settles it. Generator, it will be.

Generator AND decent battery bank(s) AND inverter can be reasonable. Genset for ACs, but the inverter can be very useful at other times (e.g., a quiet pot of coffee, TV for the guests while underway, quiet microwave popcorn, etc.).

I think an inverter adds the option of frost-free (110v) refrigeration, too, if that's attractive.

You can solve the genset while boat-shopping, and you can always add an inverter later, should you choose to do so.

-Chris
Old 22-06-2016, 04:40   #32

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Wondering why more power boats aren't using solar power to recharge house batteri

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Those motorboat guys do love their aircon. Today on my dock 4 unoccupied mortorboats were running theirs.

It's not uncommon to have more glass-enclosed areas in raised saloons, and interior temps can easily get up in the high 90s or even 100s. The ACs in this case, often set to relatively higher than usual temps when unoccupied (e.g., 82-85°F-ish), are usually about humidity control and keeping any wall treatments from peeling... and it also takes a bit of strain off the fridges/freezers.

-Chris
Old 22-06-2016, 07:56   #33

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
You can solve the genset while boat-shopping, and you can always add an inverter later, should you choose to do so.
Valid point. We've learned a lot in the last couple of months of shopping and from this board. Our preferences have shifted to some degree. For example, ...assuming all other things are equal between two boats and they're both sound mechanically and structurally... while a washer-dryer would be nifty, it's far more important to us to have a small freezer with ice-maker. Although a central vac would be nice, lightweight, portable vacuums can be stored anywhere, are far cheaper, and can be used in more places. Considering our needs and goals, a good genset and a water maker are rising to the top of our list.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:37   #34

Boat: 1991 Californian 52CPMY

As a recent convert to a trawler, I will weigh in. My CSY 44 was a great sailboat, but in the Sea of Cortez, there was usually no wind, or it was directly on the nose, so motoring was required if you wanted to arrive at your anchorage before dark. I had 3 solar panels on the arch, 525 watts, which worked amazingly well to keep my house bank of over 500 AH fully charged at anchor.

Now my new-to-me trawler has several appliances that require the generator to run in order to use them. An electric stove was all the rage in the late 70's, today, not so much. A full-sized 110v fridge/freezer which runs off the inverter, but also requires running the genny twice a day. Then there is the dual AC units. Too much? Sure, but I assure you that when you come aboard for cocktails you will enjoy the room and the comfort of a trawler. I do plan on adding about 1000w of solar soon.

So quit bashing motor boats and making assumptions about folks that you don't know, and apparently, wish to never meet. You'll find that most of us were sailors before, so we all have common interests. BTW, I moved to a trawler to please my wife, and she IS pleased.

Cheers, Bill
montenido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:51   #35
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Bingo...you nailed it Bill and when Lori and I find a powerboat we like...we don't feel guilty for a moment about living/cruising in comfort either!

Happy Wife...Happy Life.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 20:10   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Agree, no reason to dislike powerboats.

But there is no more reason to need generators on a powerboat than on a sailboat. If desired a powerboat can be as energy efficient as a sailboat.

With the bonus of a fully charged bank when arriving at an anchorage thanks to alternator output.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 20:20   #37

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by montenido View Post
As a recent convert to a trawler, I will weigh in. My CSY 44 was a great sailboat, but in the Sea of Cortez, there was usually no wind, or it was directly on the nose, so motoring was required if you wanted to arrive at your anchorage before dark. I had 3 solar panels on the arch, 525 watts, which worked amazingly well to keep my house bank of over 500 AH fully charged at anchor.

Now my new-to-me trawler has several appliances that require the generator to run in order to use them. An electric stove was all the rage in the late 70's, today, not so much. A full-sized 110v fridge/freezer which runs off the inverter, but also requires running the genny twice a day. Then there is the dual AC units. Too much? Sure, but I assure you that when you come aboard for cocktails you will enjoy the room and the comfort of a trawler. I do plan on adding about 1000w of solar soon.

So quit bashing motor boats and making assumptions about folks that you don't know, and apparently, wish to never meet. You'll find that most of us were sailors before, so we all have common interests.

BTW, I moved to a trawler to please my wife , and she IS pleased

Cheers, Bill
You know your priorities
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power boat, solar