Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-07-2011, 15:39   #16

Boat: Catamaran Cruisers Aqua Cruiser 41
Re: Why Not Build a Motor Boat Like a Sailboat ?

I'm kicking around the idea of buying an older daggerboard sailing catamaran and turning it into a motorboat.

You could ditch the daggerboards, put the boat into a reputable builder who could place a grounding keel on it from basically the deepest draft point backwards. Have the new Keel provide protection to the prop. Now you can sit on the bottom and you have a very shoal draft, probably 24 to 36 inches depending on the source boat.

New engines slightly larger than typical sail engines, maybe 60 hp each. Upgrade fuel storage, need 500 gal or so, or 250 a hull.

Do that to a 45-55 foot catamaran (20 to 26 foot beam) and ya might end up with a fine motorboat, light on fuel consumption, 10 knot or so cruise, and seaworthy and stable, and finally with a shallow draft.

Spending a half million on a used trawler vs. buying an old custom cat for 150K and then rebuilding it...... seems doable to me, problem being projects always end up about 12 time more expensive and bothersome than your plans.

Old 26-07-2011, 15:58   #17

Boat: 1988 Mason 44

I was lucky enough to meet Steve Daschew a couple of months ago. He kindly gave me a complete tour of his "Windhorse" from stem to stern. What a magnificent yacht that thing is!!!

Old 26-07-2011, 16:22   #18

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post

Regarding stability and motion in a seaway, this is something to consider carefully, even on very large ships. In the last century, USS Midway (CV 41) had been fitted with bulges at the waterline, that so much increased her stability that her rolling motion became brutal, to a point that aircraft were thrown overboard. Finally, the ship was scrapped. ...
Scrapped? But here I am on the Midway recently in San Diego.
Old 26-07-2011, 22:01   #19

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, 25.5'

markpierce, it appears one of Mark Twains most famous quotations might apply to the Midway in this case;

"The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated"

LOL

stratosailor
stratosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 22:11   #20

Boat: Samsara, a Ross 930

You could argue that more sailboats are now being designed, powered and used like displacement motorboats! Not the other way around. Wider beam, wide sterns, lighter weight, more fuel & power ...

Just a sacrilegious thought!
Old 27-07-2011, 01:10   #21

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc9loser View Post
I'm kicking around the idea of buying an older daggerboard sailing catamaran and turning it into a motorboat.

You could ditch the daggerboards, put the boat into a reputable builder who could place a grounding keel on it from basically the deepest draft point backwards. Have the new Keel provide protection to the prop. Now you can sit on the bottom and you have a very shoal draft, probably 24 to 36 inches depending on the source boat.

New engines slightly larger than typical sail engines, maybe 60 hp each. Upgrade fuel storage, need 500 gal or so, or 250 a hull.

Do that to a 45-55 foot catamaran (20 to 26 foot beam) and ya might end up with a fine motorboat, light on fuel consumption, 10 knot or so cruise, and seaworthy and stable, and finally with a shallow draft.
Are you insane
Old 27-07-2011, 08:15   #22

Boat: 48 Californian

Quote:
Originally Posted by exsaylor View Post
Have a look at the "Gulfstar" trawlers.
They are built on a sailboat hull and have ballast.
Which Gulfstar sailing boat had a hard chined, full beam transom, planing hull?
Old 27-07-2011, 09:02   #23

Boat: Carver Riviera 28'

I have never seen a Gulfstar with hard chines, full transom and planing hull as you deem necessary to be called a motor boat.
I am sure the owners of Kadey Krogens, Willards, Down East boats and many others would disagree with your interpretation.
They are motor boats and that was what the original topic asked.
Old 27-07-2011, 11:28   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Are you insane
Maybe. LOL.

I really like the concept that is shown in Cat Man Do's boat. That same concept could be fulfilled in an existing boat for less money??? Maybe.

The only reason to get rid of the sails would be to decrease bridge clearance issues, which do unfortunately limit where ya go. It would also make the deck more open.

Kinda insane, but might work.
Old 27-07-2011, 13:06   #25

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Scrapped? But here I am on the Midway recently in San Diego.
I'm sorry. I should have checked first and written "decommissioned".

However, the "Midway case" was a very bad one for the US Navy: a costly refit making a ship useless. I tried to make the point that too much stability can be a bad thing, even on very large ships.

Alain
Old 08-08-2011, 17:41   #26

On Messingabout, there was an article about a guy who put a small outboard on an O'Day I think it was. His article was about taking cheaper sail boats, such as O'Days, McGreggor and the rest of the 15 year old small cruisers, 18-20' and demast them. He had several tripsupand down the Mississippi and river cruising. He put dodger up and used it as a trawler. Worked fine for him. Very economical too.

I sure wouldn't buy a 40' cat and do that, $$$$ just buy the power cat.
Old 08-08-2011, 23:29   #27

Well, the power cats often have larger engines and narrower beams than the sailboats.

My purpose in converting a cat would be to take advantage the beam, the low power fuel sipping engines, and the shallow draft from either a daggerboard boat or cutting the keels off a mini keep boat.

Whether the idea has any utility is dependent on getting a good deal on the donor boat. BTW, nobody I know of in the US makes a proper cat trawler with the Cat man do concept.

The better idea is to get a custom made boat in Thailand or something.
Old 08-08-2011, 23:51   #28

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc9loser View Post
Well, the power cats often have larger engines and narrower beams than the sailboats.

My purpose in converting a cat would be to take advantage the beam, the low power fuel sipping engines, and the shallow draft from either a daggerboard boat or cutting the keels off a mini keep boat.

Whether the idea has any utility is dependent on getting a good deal on the donor boat. BTW, nobody I know of in the US makes a proper cat trawler with the Cat man do concept.

The better idea is to get a custom made boat in Thailand or something.
While I agree with the concept, a cheap 40 fter will likely be a dog, so you probably wouldn't want it anyway and one that is in good nick will fetch a good price and already have a perfectly good rig and sails, which, you'd be mad to get rid of if already there.

Plus, you would really need to go flat in the last several feet of hull or it'll squat under power, and you'll probably need an increase in HP, more tankage built in for range , some form of keel for running shafts and prop protection and all of a sudden, you may as well start a new build.

Have you looked at these?
They have the length and the beam

http://www.kit-cats.com/powercat_45.php
Old 09-08-2011, 08:44   #29

Yeah, they quit making them and destroyed the molds.

They are however developing a new model, with better sea keeping abilitiies.

The price quoted to me for one built by their associated builder was 15k a foot, 700K.

Check this out:

Catamarans Sailing Powered Electrics

And the prices seem pretty good to amazing:

Our Export Prices

I am at least five years from buying at the moment. My current boat serves me well for what I do now. Just exploring options.

Buying a boat there, sailing it there, then to Australia/NZ... then ship it home? or just keep steaming. The money saved in the current market would more than pay for the trip home.... except the loss of paycheck!
Old 09-08-2011, 09:21   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

If you're looking at power cats, most cat manufacturers are now building power versions. It seems as the population ages less and less people want the physical work associated with sailing. I have a sail version of the Endeavourcat 44, but many more power versions of this boat are around than sail versions. Endeavour now builds a number of power cats but only 2 sail cats. The power cats may well be termed floating condos, even more so than the sail cats. The Endeavourcat web site (www.endeavourcats.com) has several used 44's from the early 2000s priced in the high 200's. I've talked to several 44 power cat owners and they all love them. The bigger engines in the power version seem to give the boats a lower CG than my sail cat. They also have the prop protected in a drive tunnel and have a flatter profile at the stern, all features previously stated as desired in a power cat. If one is looking for a power cat one might want to take a look at these.

Tags
motor, sail, sailboat

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: