Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2018, 17:23   #16

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Re: Which Trawler should I consider ?

Nothing wrong with a wooden boat as long as you are willing to put the time in. My son is a type A driven type, first a regular cop and also a Canadian Forces officer in the Military Police Reserves. The two jobs keep him hopping, not a lot of time for wooden boat tender loving care.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 18:12   #17

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
. The two jobs keep him hopping, not a lot of time for wooden boat tender loving care.

All the big stuff gets done by others when we come out every 18 mths.
Being a million dollars in front of a plastic version buys a lifetime worth of maintenance and fuel.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 20:03   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al B View Post
What mfg should I consider
Mfg I should keep clear of
Boat size around 36 ft.
Diesel engines what is considered high hours.
As others have said, if you give an approximate budget, you will get better answers. What boat is recommended on a $50k budget is very different than what is recommended on a $500k budget.

You should be able to get at least 10,000 hours out of a well-maintained diesel before having to do a rebuild. When I was boat shopping, there were a very large number of trawlers that had been repowered long before hitting 5,000 hours. Either because they were poorly installed, poorly maintained, or had manufacturing defects.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 08:57   #19

Fisher 37
King of trawlers
Complete deep sea boat
Dr Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 10:41   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Mike View Post
Fisher 37
King of trawlers
Complete deep sea boat
Not bad if you don't mind spending another 80k to deal with the rampant hydrolysis in the cheap mat hull.
Old 26-09-2018, 10:45   #21

Boat: 42' Grand Banks M/Y

Yep, need some kinda budget. "Trawlers" are generally thought of as boats with full displacement, sea-kindly hulls that travel at hull speed. They can be single screw or twin. (For a very spirited debate between the two, check out a recent thread on Trawler Forum). Major brands are Kadey-Krogen and Selene.

The alternative is the "express cruiser" type of boat which has a planning hull and is meant to go fast, usually lacking the accommodations of a trawler. Think Sea Ray for this kind of boat. Cautions; they burn lots of fuel, ESPECIALLY gas engines. They can also be noisy at anchor as the hard chines that help the boat get on plane can cause "chine slap" and make sleeping aboard tough, especially in the bow.

There's also a semi-displacement hull type which is referred to as a "fast trawler." Think Grand Banks and Mainship. They can be run efficiently at hull speed or planning speeds and have wonderful accommodations. Above 40' they will nearly all be diesel, below 40' you will find some that are gas. My advice would be to stick with diesel -- better fuel economy, easier close-quarters maneuvering (more low RPM torque) and IMHO safer.

This is the power boat bible https://www.amazon.com/2018-PowerBoa...owerboat+guide

It's expensive but well worth it. Sometimes you can find it used and the older versions are fine. Sometimes you can also find them in library's.

Happy hunting and enjoy your new "trawler."
Blaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 10:58   #22

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al B View Post
A boater all of my life
Never a go fast boater , just a boater with love of ocean & the adventure
Owing family cruisers & trailer fishing boats

Knowing the negatives of twin FEED ME Volvo Penta gas engines with twin duo props , purchased 4 years ago .
Beautiful sharp looks of a 30 ft 2005 luxury cabin cruiser
We searched a year all over Fla were we live . That too was an adventure and something that should have been fun turned out too be not fun or exciting .
We became untrusting after viewing train wrecks boats looking nothing like pictures lying brokers & private sellers .
I stumbled across my present boat at a consignment dealer not searching for a boat . MURPHY"S LAW

Wife fell in love with cabin, was excited getting a boat we can enjoy together I caved knowing double gas engines double trouble .
After 4 years, that boat is almost a new boat with new long block engines , lots of expensive repairs . ITS A WEEKENDER Time too move on too another boat
Retired couple
We enjoy sleeping aboard few nights a week . A condo . When we go home marina hauls and put boat into a cradle were I flush, clean & cover keeping boat pristine
Next purchase I hope l will have a mfg & model in mind not shopping like a rookie boater .

I am a young 70 . Healthy running 5 miles daily
I have sailed in past never alone and really a beginner with sail boats .. I would motor more then sail .
My sailing buddies owing 36 & 40 Beneauteu tell me don't get a sail . Since I never owned a sail boat only owing some sort of power consider a motor sailor or Trawler .
Broker at my marina who is listing my boat suggested a Trawler saying most sailors my age are selling getting into trawlers .
Trawler should be Economical , engine room must have room too work . Access too all areas of boat
My goal at this stage of life is too cruise coast , few month journeys, wife , dogs .
Then go back home .

I am leaning towards a trawler .
I know nothing about trawlers , only they are roomy, and considered fuel efficient .
What mfg should I consider
Mfg I should keep clear of
Boat size around 36 ft .
Diesel engines what is considered high hours .

thanks for your thoughts
Just consider all of what they call trawlers are not. Topsides look it but bottoms don't. If it has a spray rail it probably isn't. JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 12:04   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I know one day I will go that way, and have just as a curiously look, been looking at Kady Krogen’s 42 I think, usually a single Lehman, and can be had for I think about $150K for a good one.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 13:13   #24

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I know one day I will go that way, and have just as a curiously look, been looking at Kady Krogen’s 42 I think, usually a single Lehman, and can be had for I think about $150K for a good one.
They may come with a bow thruster? I've seen a 48 with one. That would make for a great retirement boat.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 15:09   #25

Boat: Pelin Sterling 26

The man wants suggestions, so Grand Banks 32, nothing else.
sand6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 15:53   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand6000 View Post
The man wants suggestions, so Grand Banks 32, nothing else.
Since he specified 36 feet, maybe Grand Banks 36
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 16:09   #27

trawler festival is in Baltimore this weekend
google passage maker for there events
datapete568b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 03:01   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

We already got 2 pages of free advice. Most of it's good, but how do you know... Buy something YOU like that requires little work. I'm 70, too. We don't really know how much time we have left. Don't waste it fixing a boat you'll never get to cruise in.

Too many engine hours depend on many things, engine make, maintenance, and how it was operated. If you don't know engines, have an engine survey done. It's cheaper than a rebuild or replace.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 10:17   #29

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser

Just a point about "Express Cruisers," what I own. Not all express cruisers are "express." My semi-displacement hull with the 350 Chevy block engine with Merc stern drive goes roughly 11.4 knots at top speed. Hoping a stainless steel prop can eek out another knot or two. The boat is single screw and the boat is 13,000 lbs around about.

The designation "Express Cruiser" is a design statement, not a speed statement but it often gets confused. Mostly I cruise at 7.5 knots but if I'm in a hurry to begin my journey or end my journey, I'll open up my credit card and throttle to full blast to cruise at a blazing speed of 11 + knots. This might sound like I'm not happy with the situation but the reverse is true, I like the low fuel consumption on a single screw, but would prefer to have the safety of a second engine. But with the second engine, when I went full throttle, the fuel consumption........ don't want to think about it.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:56   #30

Boat: C&C 44

I just went through the same exercise for a friend of mine and were about to offer on an Eagle 40 trawler up in Maine. The boat has seen the 'Loop' and has just had some fresh upgrades. We had to back away.
The boat is in almost new condition, has a great canvas package, is very economical and good sleeping arrangements. Let me know if you close on it, thanks.
RLMM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trawler