Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2011, 08:05   #31

Boat: Grand Banks 42 Classic - Heads Up
Send a message via Yahoo to CaptHead
Re: Which Trawler ?

I have a Grand Banks 42 that was originally in Boston. It was bought by a doctor here in Marina Del Rey, CA and delivered through the canal. I have the logs and the route it took getting here. It went directly from Acapulco to Cabo San Lucas and not the shore skirting route most boats take. I have had the boat in 20' seas with 65 Kt winds gusting to 75 and no Marine Trader can do that. I get 2.25 to 2.5 Nautical Miles per gallon at 9 kts. You can't beat that with twin 6 cyl diesels.

I don't think there is a better trawler and I lived aboard it for 20 years, took week long cruises, even two weeks and had four aboard. The layout is great. Each stateroom is separated by the main salon. This gives you privacy. Sleep in a cabin adjoining another and you know what I mean.

Just my 2 cents.
1966 Grand Banks 42 Hull #17
Twin Ford Lehman Diesels
Sterling LP over Epoxy
Life is Great, Skip the Beach
CaptHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 15:12   #32

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Yup. GBs are grand.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 17:27   #33

Boat: Olson 40

I have taken my wife on a lot of trawlers, and so far the only ones she likes are Grand Banks 42 and Fleming 55 and 65. And I agree with her!
u4ea32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 17:33   #34

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Yup. GBs are grand.
Except there is no shaded back patio area for relaxing, having a BBQ or entertaining
Even on a 50fter

Used 2000 GRAND BANKS 49 MOTOR YACHT Boat For Sale - boatsales.com.au

Compare that to another trawler, like the one on my sig and you have a far more livable vessel in my opinion, especially in the tropics where its too hot to be locked up inside unless you have incredibly good ventilation or A/c

Old 15-11-2011, 13:12   #35

Boat: Olson 40

Cat, I'm with you about the need for outdoor shaded space. Like many others, I really don't like canvas shade, as canvas just doesn't last in the sun.

Putting perfection aside and considering existing boats, GBs (especially the 42 and 49 classics) are very appealing, and I'm sure I'd be very happy with either. And my wife, who has a lot of boating experience too, agrees on this point.

But we are not buying a GB. We did get very close to buying, but decided that life is short, its time to get what we really want, rather than something just because it exists and has great resale.

For one, I don't care for (won't buy again) a boat that uses wood structurally as GBs do for coring, stringers, and bulkheads.

But the key reason is that we want a boat that is fundamentally more economical to own. That means fuel while underway, maintenance of systems, and yard bills on the boat. I am explicitly not concerned with marina fees, because we won't live forever in a marina. All our boats have been used, the next will be used for retirement voyaging, not for a weekend at the marina.

Therefore, as you know Cat from many discussions on boatdesign.net, we are going to build custom. A long, thin, very simple, and very light monohull motorsailor specifically designed for a SL of 1 (e.g., 8 knots at 64 feet of waterline).
u4ea32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 17:12   #36

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by u4ea32 View Post
we are going to build custom.
The only way to get what you want
Quote:
A long, thin, very simple, and very light monohull motorsailor specifically designed for a SL of 1 (e.g., 8 knots at 64 feet of waterline).
Sounds good.
Picked a design yet?
Old 15-11-2011, 17:37   #37

Boat: Mariner 40/IP 37-30

More interesting and valuable comments.
One of my concerns is the comfort for lounging around in the salon. On our Island Packet, we keep the dining table folded up and out of the way. There are 2 opposing settees that are comfortable for seating several people when entertaining, or just streatching out on when watching TV etc.
Just thinking of the use in the GB-42.
I do understand the shade issue, but we are accustomed to that with the full bimini and enclosure on our boat.

Wm
Wmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:20   #38

Boat: Bayliner, Trophy, 20' WA

Before making the "buy" decision look at every trawler you can. As you well understand, both you and your wife must agree on its features. A couple of years ago I traveled from California to Florida and looked at a dozen post-1985 trawlers. Our travel plans included the "loop" and cruising the Bahamas. I agree with many of the comments here pertaining to general "comfort" being of primary concern.

We are over 65 and would use this trawler during our travels into the sunset! Our budget was a bit more conservative than yours so I looked at Marine Traders, Mainships, DeFevers, Novas, etc. I also looked at a few older, early 80's models like Hershine, CHB, etc.

I preferred the Novas, and Heritage East type trawlers. With galley down, the saloons were spacious and comfortable. My requirements also included generators for extended periods on the hook to support AC, and washer/dryer units. 42' seemed about the right size for our needs.

I've talked with LRC cruiser couples who placed a premium on stabilizers to increase traveling and "on the hook" comfort. I agree whole heartedly having worked aboard anchored salvage boats in my youth.

Good luck on finding that next boat. BTW, we haven't bought because wifey isn't an aqua nut like me!
Old 09-12-2011, 10:38   #39

Boat: Mariner 40/IP 37-30

Thanks again for your thoughts.
This is definately a work in progress.
I had hjoped to see some boats at the St Pete boat show last weekend, but there was 1 1985 GB 49 that would probably work, but that was about it in used boats.
It doesn't appear that there are any production boats today like the 80's model boats. The only exception is Mainship.
Un fortunately, I've been spoiled with my Island Packet....

Wm
Wmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:42   #40

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

Wm:

Take a look at the Grand Banks 42 Europa model. It has a nice aft cockpit, covered by the boat deck, wide flybridge that provides shade to the main cabin, a forward V-berth and a smallish guest cabin.

I used to own an IP 37 and appreciate covered hang out space. We sold ours for a 2006 Mainship 34T that has much the same layout as the Europa but with no guest cabin and a smaller aft cockpit. We would use the flybridge to steer from and hang out in nice weather, but if it got cold or windy we would retreat to the aft cockpit or if necessary to the main cabin.

There are two for sale on Yachtworld below $200K (and lots of newer ones at three times that).
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:57   #41

Boat: Krogen 58' Xiao Xiu
Send a message via MSN to JayCall

As a Krogen owner, I can absolutely recommend them. I spent several years deciding on a true long range trawler. I have owned several classic wooden MYs up to 65' and we were looking for long range, long term quality and found it with KK. Every boat is built with extended cruising and liveability in mind. My experience is that they are extremely well built. economical to own and run, and their company support, even for a second hand owner, is terrific. Their owners tend to be very loyal to them and provide an additional support base. They are seakindly and very comfortable cruisers.

Admittedly I am biased, but a very good boat supported by a very good company is a hard combination to beat.
JayCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 14:19   #42
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCall View Post
As a Krogen owner, I can absolutely recommend them. I spent several years deciding on a true long range trawler. I have owned several classic wooden MYs up to 65' and we were looking for long range, long term quality and found it with KK. Every boat is built with extended cruising and liveability in mind. My experience is that they are extremely well built. economical to own and run, and their company support, even for a second hand owner, is terrific. Their owners tend to be very loyal to them and provide an additional support base. They are seakindly and very comfortable cruisers.

Admittedly I am biased, but a very good boat supported by a very good company is a hard combination to beat.

Having worked on most brands of trawlers, I would agree that KK makes great boats. The only production trawlers I would consider would be KK or a Nordy, which of course would be my number 1 pick for build quality. KK does provide great support and has a very loyal customer base for good reason, however, watch those KK brokers, they are a bunch of crooks just like the rest of the broker crowd. I know this from personal experience, I'm sure you know Paul G. if you purchased your KK here in Seattle..
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 15:25   #43

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We sold our Fisher 37 2 yrs ago and have been looking for a year and a half for our Trawler, we finaly found it a 43 ft 1980 Defever LRC Low Hrs Leymans and new gen,Im in process of making Hydro-plane out riggers for it, although the motion is OK it could br better LOL hence the west coast style out riggers. Will post pics when done and installed. I know they work Ive had em before, they will settle down most any hull type trawler. Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 15:48   #44
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
We sold our Fisher 37 2 yrs ago and have been looking for a year and a half for our Trawler, we finaly found it a 43 ft 1980 Defever LRC Low Hrs Leymans and new gen,Im in process of making Hydro-plane out riggers for it, although the motion is OK it could br better LOL hence the west coast style out riggers. Will post pics when done and installed. I know they work Ive had em before, they will settle down most any hull type trawler. Bob and Connie
Outrigger "fish" type stabilization does work, but it can create a lot of drag and stress on gear. Our yard has done a lot of Wesmar stabilizer installs on all sorts of boats, but we also do the occasional "static" stabilizer fins. These are like very small bilge keels. Design and installation often involves an NA and some pretty serious work, but if you've ever done a Wesmar install it starts to look pretty attractive. It's surprisingly effective at reducing roll too. Also there's absolutely no gear to fail, no maintenance, no buttons to push, no space used from the interior, etc. The added wetted surface area is an issue, but it generally creates much less drag than any other method of stabilization, even powered stabilization. I know a number of clients who use this combined with a steadying sail and/or "flopper stopper" type outrigger stabilization at anchor to provide a decent solution for much less than Wesmars or Naiads cost. Usually very crusty old salts with a ridiculous number of miles under their keels pursue this approach with their trawlers. I'm sure I could dredge up pics of us building and installing some of these...
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 15:56   #45

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

If you're looking for a trawler a friend of mine is selling his 41 foot Defever.

Just a few of the features that make this boat unique from others this size are: Naiad stabilizers; Katadyn 160E watermaker; Skymate satellite weather, e-mail, position reporting and remote monitoring system and many more additions generally not found on a boat this size.

If anyone is interested I can forward his email address. He's a Bahamas cruiser and finally moving on.

Tags
trawler