Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-07-2014, 20:42   #1

Which Motor Yacht?

Hi all, we are looking to do the leap into being part time live aboard/sightseers on the Canadian/USA West Coast and have started our search for our first boat of this size. We are looking at the 35-40ft range and the Bayliner 3888 series/diesels has us intrigued.
My question to you all is are there any other manufactures that you would suggest we look at for something like this that may be a better choice for one reason or another..layout, quality, handling etc..?
Another words...looking for any and all opinions to help us make an informed decision.
Thanks for your time.. Cheers

Old 23-07-2014, 21:34   #2

Silverstrip
Do a google search for brand forums i.e. Bayliner, Tollycraft, Sea Ray, etc to get real time owner input.

Old 23-07-2014, 21:51   #3

Boat: BAYLINER 4788
Re: Which motor yacht?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstrip View Post
Hi all, we are looking to do the leap into being part time live aboard/sightseers on the Canadian/USA West Coast and have started our search for our first boat of this size. We are looking at the 35-40ft range and the Bayliner 3888 series/diesels has us intrigued.
My question to you all is are there any other manufactures that you would suggest we look at for something like this that may be a better choice for one reason or another..layout, quality, handling etc..?
Another words...looking for any and all opinions to help us make an informed decision.
Thanks for your time.. Cheers
Yes, do a search for the Bayliner Owners Club. There is lots of information there.

To answer your question...

The Bayliner 38' motoryacht has a long history of Coastal Cruising, and is very popular for its layout.

There was a couple Melanie Wood and her husband John that started in Canada, then spent two winters in the Bahamas. After that they headed accross the Gulf of Mexico and spent Hurricane season on the Rio Dulce. They are now in wintering Roatan Honduras I believe, and spending summers in Guatemala.

Melanie wrote three books about their adventures that are interesting reading. I have read them all and highly recommend them to folks that want a taste of life aboard.
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 05:58   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Silverstrip.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 10:22   #5

Boat: 42' Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstrip View Post

Only you can decide what features float your target boat, but if you go to yachtworld.com and search on 38-45' power boats in your area, you'll get a decent hint about likely brands.

Hatteras, Viking, Bertram, Sea Ray, Carver, Cruisers, Tollycraft, Maxum, Meridian (nee Bayliner), Silverton... just off the top... all make planing boats in various configuratons.

And then there are several "trawler-style" makers...

Look at pics of layouts to home in on features you might like. For example, for this boat we wanted a flying bridge, but stairs not a ladder. Just something like that can eliminate almost 90% of boats...

-Chris
Old 26-07-2014, 07:50   #6

I am also looking for an ocean vessel. I am leaning toward a trawler but have read the Bayliner 3888 is efficient. Does anyone know how efficient?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 27-07-2014, 07:40   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I am also looking for an ocean vessel. I am leaning toward a trawler but have read the Bayliner 3888 is efficient. Does anyone know how efficient?

There are probably several ways to "answer" that, none perfect. One is if you can get real fuel flow numbers are various speeds in various conditions (wind, sea states, etc.) with various installed engines, etc. Dunno if you can find solid data like that, though...

Another is to simply assume the target boat (whatever) will burn something close to the engine manufacturer's nominal predictions at whatever RPMs you drive it. For example, ours nominally burn 1.9 GPH at 1000 RPMs, and 13 GPH at 2200 RPMs. You get whatever speed you get. (In ours, that's approx. 7.5 kts at 1000, and approx. 20.5 at 2200.) In this method, the boat itself is slightly unimportant. OTOH, it's only an approximation.

A third is to study books like Beebe's Voyaging Under Power, and comparing hull forms. Short if doing all the Naval Architecture math (which is heavily dependent on having actual factoids about one given hull versus another), you can wing it a bit, induce that some hulls will be more efficient than others... maybe plot a nominal curve...

But in the end, sometimes the differences in "efficiency" are small enough so it doesn't matter too much...

Depending on how you drive it.

If you run a 3888 (or whatever) at 20 kts, it'll cost. If you run it at 7 kts, it won't cost as much. If you run it at 7 kts, you may spend slightly more in fuel than with another more efficient hull. The "slightly more" may be completely insignificant.

-Chris
Old 27-07-2014, 08:45   #8

Quote:

There is no magic for fuel efficiency. All 38' boats of a certain hull form will require a certain horsepower to push at hull speed.

The Bayliner is no more and no less efficient than any other boat of its hull form which is round chined "semi displacement".

The Bayliner is popular because of its interior layout and its cost. It is allot of boat for the money.

Other than that, its a boat.

What I would do is not focus on the boat, but focus on the mission. Decide what features you want and buy a boat that fits your budget and has those features.

Personally when discussing Coastal Cruiser Powerboats I think too many people focus on traits that are more tied to passagemaking than harbor or anchorage hopping.

I feel that cruising for long periods of time along a coastline is about comfort. You can always stay in port on cruddy weather days.
Old 27-07-2014, 08:57   #9

Re: Which Motor Yacht?

Are you looking for a new build, or a boat that has been around for some years? The answer to that could eliminate some that have been suggested.
Old 27-07-2014, 10:41   #10

Boat: Various

Quote:

What is an ocean vessel? I'm being serious. One to do coastal cruising on days with good weather? One to do coastal cruising in rougher conditions? One to cross oceans? If it's coastal cruising in good weather, then the Bayliner is excellent. If it's to cross oceans, then it's definitely not the boat.

Step one really is to identify your uses for the boat and your requirements in terms of design. Then you can look at boats to match those.
Old 27-07-2014, 11:17   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Silverstrip: Tollycraft are very fine old boats..but they are old. It appears you want a planing diesel powered boat right? that leaves out the trawlers. If you can find a well maintained/restored Tolly... they are legendary. There are some pristeen examples out there. Bayliner in general sometimes gets a bad rep... but one smaller one I had was 3/8" thick glass on the dashboard! (built 80's)
For someone who doesn't want to be a mechanic, newer is better I think. Anything over 8 years old or so, treat the fuel tanks as suspect until proven innocent!

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 11:37   #12
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
What is an ocean vessel? I'm being serious. One to do coastal cruising on days with good weather? One to do coastal cruising in rougher conditions? One to cross oceans? If it's coastal cruising in good weather, then the Bayliner is excellent. If it's to cross oceans, then it's definitely not the boat.

Step one really is to identify your uses for the boat and your requirements in terms of design. Then you can look at boats to match those.
I was in Nanimo Harbor BC one foul August day, when 2 Bayliner 3888's came in. Both were charter boats, they dropped out of Desolation Sound by way of Malispainya Staits, and crossed Georgia Straits to Nanimo.

Winds all day were NE 20 gusting to 30, they were bucking a large flood. The south end of Malisainya in those conditions result in 8 footers about 5 sec. a part.

Both of the Bayliners 3888's, had opened up at the bow hull to deck seem about 4 inches. They shipped water faster then the bilge pumps could keep up with, flooded all of the lower floors.

It appears that the bow pulpit was a causal factor in the separation, bucking into the short high seas.

Why they continued is beyond me. They should of ducked in as soon as they could.

All I can say is WOW.

Lloyd
Old 27-07-2014, 12:10   #13

Thus there nickname ........ Binliners.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 27-07-2014, 12:34   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post

Another is to simply assume the target boat (whatever) will burn something close to the engine manufacturer's nominal predictions at whatever RPMs you drive it. For example, ours nominally burn 1.9 GPH at 1000 RPMs, and 13 GPH at 2200 RPMs. You get whatever speed you get. (In ours, that's approx. 7.5 kts at 1000, and approx. 20.5 at 2200.) In this method, the boat itself is slightly unimportant. OTOH, it's only an approximation.

I should have clarified, we have twins -- so at those speeds, the fuel consumption doubles (3.8 GPH @ 1000, and 26 GPH at 2200 RPMs).

-Chris
Old 27-07-2014, 12:47   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofsmit View Post
Thus there nickname ........ Binliners.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Probably not a good Idea to start a brand bashing thing here.

Bayliners, carvers, Tollycrafts are coastal cruisers. They are entirely capable and absolutely comfortable as such.

I've myself made the longest open water crossing necessary in North America from Yakutat to Hinchinbrook Entrance which is 210nm with nowhere to hide twice in Bayliners.

I cannot speak for the 38 footers but I have myself been in bouy measured 5 meter wind blown seas (my mistake) and regularly go out in bouy measured 6 foot beam seas in my very comfortable Bayliner

Tags
motor, yacht

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: