Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2016, 06:42   #1

Boat: Robalo R245
Unhappy Where's the P/S pump

I have a new to me 24' WA with a 250 Yamaha outboard. The steering seems a little overly-stiff under throttle so I thought I would check the fluid level and pump etc. I know on my previous I/O the pump was on the motor and mechanically driven by belt. This being an outboard, I assumed the pump must be electrically driven. Problem is , I can't find it. I've followed the hydraulic lines from the motor to the steering head (except for a few areas that are in-accessible). There are no wires going into the steering head as I thought maybe that is where the pump is. Help !
kimden5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 07:47   #2

Boat: Grand Banks Eastbay 39
Re: Where's the P/S pump

Typically on a 24' boat with an outboard, the "pump" that you are looking for is part of the steering wheel assembly, and is driven by you turning the wheel (i.e. no power steering). Some have a plug that can be used to check the fluid and add as necessary.

Check out the Teleflex Steering systems to give you an idea of how they work.
Boydski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 07:53   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If it steers exactly the same at the dock with the engine off and the key off as it does with the engine running in neutral at idle, it's likely there is no pump.
My Mercury Verado single engine 175 was not power steering, although several people will tell you ALL Verado's are, mine was not.
I assume it's stiff underway in one direction more than the other and that is due to engine torque, if you have the little skeg anode behind the prop it's adjustable to help tame this torque steer.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 06:48   #4

Boat: Robalo R245

I think from the responses I've gotten and the extensive research I've been doing , that I was wrongly assuming that if it had hydraulic steering, it was power steering. My boat, while it is hydraulic, it is not power assisted. My last boat ( 4500 lbs., I/O had power steering w/engine mounted belt driven power steering pump) had actual power steering. My current boat (5800 lbs., Yamaha outboard) does not. Go figure. On my first run with this boat, I thought I had a serious steering problem. Especially while trying to turn while getting up on plane.
kimden5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 18:54   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimden5 View Post
I have a new to me 24' WA with a 250 Yamaha outboard. The steering seems a little overly-stiff under throttle so I thought I would check the fluid level and pump etc. I know on my previous I/O the pump was on the motor and mechanically driven by belt. This being an outboard, I assumed the pump must be electrically driven. Problem is , I can't find it. I've followed the hydraulic lines from the motor to the steering head (except for a few areas that are in-accessible). There are no wires going into the steering head as I thought maybe that is where the pump is. Help !
Do you have hydraulic lines going from the steering to the engine or is it a cable or two cables? If there are hydraulic lines then you have power steering pump in the dash behind the wheel. These lines are going to a servo cylinder at the front of the engine. If the steering is stiff you need to grease the vertical shaft fittings on the engine (the pivot shaft is vertical and is probably seizing up). Boat on the trailer, disconnect the control on the engine and try to pivot the engine from side to side. This should move easily by manually moving it. If it moves easy then go try and turn the steering wheel, observe the cylinder at the engine and check the stiffness. Process of elimination.
seabreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 19:07   #6

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

spend lots of time steaming your new boat safely around all the things you are likely to need to navigate including reverse after a while take care not to rip the wheel off your tow car as you gain strength/pump your arms.
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote