Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2010, 20:16   #1

Boat: Bluewater 5800, Novatec 52
Where Does this 'Houseboat' Thing Come from ?

Sorry, I just have to vent a bit here.

My boat is a Bluewater, made by Bluewater Motor Yatch in Mora Minnesota. They have been making this Coastal Cruiser style of boat since 1982 and they have all been sold as Coastal Cruisers.

I recently called a marina for a slip reservation, he asked what type of boat I had and as soon as I told him I had a Bluewater he immediately came back with "Oh, it's a houseboat".

If I do a search on houseboats or the Louisville Houseboat show, they are basically a river craft, square design and on pontoons. I am not trying to downgrade houseboats in any way, they have their purpose, but, I would like to know where this thinking comes from.

This type of thing has happened several times this summer.

Does anyone know why people would think of a Bluewater as a houseboat??
RaySea Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 20:35   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Well you know how people like to put labels on things, keep the world ordered and everything in it's proper place.

Then why the houseboat label? Well I'm sure you realize that the Bluewater is not the most common style of vessel. It's somewhat in between. Not what I would call a houseboat, having lived on a large inland lake populated with hundreds of things that look like a single wide trailer on a large, flat bottomed hull.

Then it's not your typical power boat shape like a Bertram. It has very low freeboard for the length and a very large, full length cabin so in some ways it will superficially resemble a houseboat.

So, to some people that don't usually see the inland style houseboat but are used to the classic style of motor yacht, this will fall into the houseboat category.

If it really bothers you, you can always pick up a good used 52' Hatteras.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 21:00   #3

There is a 44 foot Bertram docked behind me and, no thanks, I will keep my Bluewater.

The boat is different by design, with shallow draft (36 inch), tunnel hull, low center of gravity, wide prop spacing, and extra interior space. It was all these things that attracted me to it.

Many have asked about the low freeboard. It has a 53 inch freeboard with reverse tines and planes at 14 mph (top speed 23mph) which lifts my bow another 24 inches depending on my tab settings. This has been quite sufficient for the coastal cruising I have done.

I had it in 8 to 10 foot waves this past summer for two days on Lake Huron and had no issues at all. She even surfs very well in a following sea... I have a DVD of the original sea trials on Lake Superior in 12 foot waves and the boat handled very well.

I guess it is different than say a Bertram, however, to me, calling it a houseboat is about the same as if someone asks you what kind of car you have and you say I have a Mercury and they say, "Oh, you have a bicycle".
Old 30-09-2010, 21:18   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Please don't misunderstand. You asked why some call it a houseboat and I tried to answer.

I was not in any way criticizing the boat and you certainly don't need to defend it to me. I am very aware of the design and goals of the coastal cruiser concept and the Bluewater seems to meet the design criteria. Different boats for different boaters and different uses. If they all looked just the same dockwalking would be a boring hobby.

It seems that it irks you for the boat to be called a houseboat but you know what, I assume you bought the boat for yourself and not for the guy sitting behind a desk at the marina. Why should you care what anyone calls it? If it does what you want it to do then be happy. If it still bugs you, just remember, you're on a boat cruising and he's not.
Old 30-09-2010, 21:33   #5

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Nice post Skip...and I agree.

A own what most call a condo on the water...doesn't bother me one bit...I actually take it as a compliment..Iv been in some seriously cool condos......now do you want 2 or 3 ice cubes in your mount gay..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 21:41   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Nice post Skip...and I agree.

A own what most call a condo on the water...doesn't bother me one bit...I actually take it as a compliment..Iv been in some seriously cool condos..
If my boat was a little more condo on the water like I would probably get more support from my wife and daughter.

And I've seen some seriously cool houseboats; multi-story, sunken tubs, walnut paneled walls, basically a mansion on a barge. Wouldn't take it out in any kind of weather but what a waterfront hangout.
Old 30-09-2010, 22:30   #7

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Im not sure what this boat is either. Like a duck billed platapus, its neither fish nor fowl. Sure keeps the mono/cat debate something to think about though
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat house cat dunno wot it is.JPG
Views:	818
Size:	267.5 KB
ID:	19712  
Old 01-10-2010, 01:56   #8

Boat: Pearson 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Im not sure what this boat is either. Like a duck billed platapus, its neither fish nor fowl. Sure keeps the mono/cat debate something to think about though
I think that would be called a "catamavan"
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:07   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
It seems that it irks you for the boat to be called a houseboat but you know what, I assume you bought the boat for yourself and not for the guy sitting behind a desk at the marina. Why should you care what anyone calls it? If it does what you want it to do then be happy. If it still bugs you, just remember, you're on a boat cruising and he's not.
Great Point ! Thanks.

I guess it does IRK me, which is probably why I felt a need to vent. Probably pride getting in the way of Logic...
Old 01-10-2010, 05:32   #10

Boat: 22' Avalon Pontoon - The WINE BARge
If it makes you feel any better, I went out to Yachtworld to look up what they look like and I said 'ohhh... THIS is what we need'. It sounds like coastal cruiser is a perfect name for it.
RiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:55   #11
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
So what wind speed do they put the first reef in?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:12   #12

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
I've seen a few of these on the waterway and my first impression was, wow, what a big houseboat! Sorry but that is what they look like.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:42   #13

I think because of their unique design, the Bluewater has been frequently misinterpretted. I too have always thought of them as a sort of a hybrid. A Saltwater, coastal cruising houseboat-ish yacht. Now, i'm not saying that is what it is. We all have to sort things into tidy little categories and the Bluewater's uniqueness leaves us with no group with which to lump it.

I have a few in my area, and my wife drools over the space and livibility all the time. "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet". Who gives a damn what people think it is or call it? I would simply chuckle to myself and think "Ya, all this space and livibility is just horrible".
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:12   #14

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
We are talking about one of these right?

s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:20   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post
We are talking about one of these right?

Nope. We are talking about one of these.