Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2016, 18:21   #1

What Type Of Boat To Buy

good evening ok I have been doing all kinds of boat looking trying to figure out what type of boat or sailboat to buy i am figuring totally outfitted and gone on the water with a budget of no more than 150,000 that has to include any things i need to upgrade or buy I am wanting it to sleep 6 to 8 people I dont know if a big sail boat say 44 to 55 foot or a trawler type with fuel economy of say 2 to 4gph with extensive fuel tank for range.. or can i modify with prop or turbo or add fuel tanks? please any and all advice would help I am currently selling my house and going to take the leap...thank you all
readytotravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:27   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: what type of boat to buy

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, ready.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:13   #3

What I would say is that if you do not have a real desire to sail then you will probably be happier with a power boat. Sailing is more effort, more complicated, than power boating. If you don't have a passion for it, you will probably grow tired of the complications pretty quickly. So, if you can't decide between a sailboat and a power boat, you should probably go with a power boat.

At least, that's my opinion, and worth every penny that you paid for it.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:30   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

I agree with DenverD on the recommendation that you consider trawlers, but also because you're going to need a lot of interior space for all those people. The only hitch is that a 44' trawler is not as ultimately seaworthy as a large monohull sailboat. You have not said where you want to go; if it's coastal you have in mind, any trawler that will sleep that many people and has space enough for separation between them (important if you don't want rat fights to start) will do the job. You may need to search a bit to find a boat that meets your needs and stays inside that budget. Unfortunately, there's a glut of boats that have been neglected since 2008 out there, and numerous threads from people who have your dream but got caught in overhauls that are both frustrating and expensive.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:34   #5

hello again My exp is not alot when it comes to a big ocean boat I know I am crazy. I have been on the water with smaller boats all of my life. I am very mechanical. Depending were the boat I finally found was would determine my first route. I.e west coast than would head south. My eventual would be florida through the islands and dream would go across to spain. I can truely spend upwards of 200k after mods or upgrades. The problem is I dont want to spend 200 after upgrades on a boat worth 130,000 I have it would be 4 to maybe 5 adults periodically and my kids periodically thus the 6 to 8 sleeping. I still have my business so i have income coming in for maintance and upkeep. can you achievce the say 1.5 to 4 with twin diesels? combined gph. or is it just a sinlge screw that will?
Old 09-08-2016, 08:27   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

You can get into lots of discussions on CR regarding one versus two engines. One is more efficient (less drag), but even diesel engines do occasionally go ping. I am quite happy with a single not very efficient (but damned reliable) engine, moving better than 60,000 pounds at 7.5 knots and 2 Nautical miles to the gallon. I would consider the boat you appear to be contemplating to be quite adequate for coastal, Bahamas, and maybe the Carribean. The trouble is longer runs - you can't predict the weather that far in advance, and at eight knots or so you may not be able dodge it. Range might also be an issue - we can carry 1,000 gallons of diesel, but that's unusual in a 44 ft boat.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:41   #7

Boat: Four Winns V435

If you want to take your boat from FL to the islands that's doable in the size boat you're talking about but if you want to go from the islands to Spain that's impossible. A powerboat is limited by the amount of fuel you can carry and a transatlantic crossing will never happen in that size range unless you're in a sailboat. Now a sailboat is A LOT of work so think twice about whether you can handle that workload. I for one opted for power.
Aquadome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:12   #8

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

If Spain is really in your plans forget a power boat, or plan on going as deck cargo.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:22   #9

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

It's not impossible to Spain but that limits a lot boats to choose from as most power cruisers aren't designed for that in mind..
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:24   #10

Boat: Four Winns V435

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
It's not impossible to Spain but that limits a lot boats to choose from as most power cruisers aren't designed for that in mind..
In the loa he's talking about its impossible under power.
Aquadome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:30   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquadome View Post
To say nothing as to budget.
I had long range dreams, but grew up in and was comfortable with power boats, I had never sailed, but came to realize pretty quickly that with my budget, long range = sailboat, so I bought one and am still leaning to sail.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:09   #12

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
If Spain is really in your plans forget a power boat, or plan on going as deck cargo.
I met some people that have been all over in a single engine cruiser. It has a turbo John Deer and 5,000 gal of fuel. When not going long distances, one tank lasts a long time. They buy fuel when it's cheap, kind of like an investment. I think they might be headed for the med from the southwest caribbean. He said something about needing 3500 gal. for one passage. When I asked about the single engine thing, he when't on and on about clean fuel and his fuel system. The only engine problem he has ever had was a small water leak once.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:12   #13

Re: What Type Of Boat To Buy

ok so listening to multiple people yes the transatlantic is out. I have like i said put my house of for sale I am a go getter when i set my goals i go after them and do it.. I have been looking for the past year and have been up and down docks and talked to multiple people about there boats. well never about crossing the atlantic part. Just about going south and the canel or all the way south and around to brazil and back to the islands many people say it is easily doable in a travel/crusier. so wish list first fuel economy 1.5 to 4 tops second it will almost always be 4 adults the campers we can find space for. second is fuel tank cap say 950 or more would that be sufficent??? also say full covered for space needs to relax. i have seen some defever and broadfire trawlers I am 1000 percent open to any ideas to suit my wants... please help
Old 09-08-2016, 10:43   #14

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I met some people that have been all over in a single engine cruiser. It has a turbo John Deer and 5,000 gal of fuel. When not going long distances, one tank lasts a long time. They buy fuel when it's cheap, kind of like an investment. I think they might be headed for the med from the southwest caribbean. He said something about needing 3500 gal. for one passage. When I asked about the single engine thing, he when't on and on about clean fuel and his fuel system. The only engine problem he has ever had was a small water leak once.
5000 gals. on a boat the size he wants? Appox, 17 tons+/- ?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:53   #15

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquadome View Post
Absolutely false, even in the price range he's talking about it's doable. Albeit with a load more cash the size range is quite doable.

For instance, Nordhavn 40, range @ 6 knots 3450 miles.

I also have a hunch this, if not currently capable would be able with a few gallons of tankage added 1980 Durbeck 50 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote